camping, Kuksa fire, bacon grease lamp disaster, birch carving supplies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Indeed almost certainly it was because you had the heart wood in it. Then when you used fire the wood shrank on the outside first (while the middle was still same size) because it could not shrink a crack formed to allow it to do it.

Wood always shrinks toward the middle and hardly at all in its length (or height as the tree stands)

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
use a much larger diamater of wood (if available) to get around this. maybe someone could let me know if this is incorrect?

yeah kinda, most people split the wood down center (so the center piece is not in the middle of the piece)

Traditionally wood with the middle part still in the middle is called boxed heartwood.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
pie_slice.jpg

From the picture you can see the outside started drying out and was shrinking while the middle was not. If you dried it slowly enough you might get the whole thing to shrink evenly and not crack. If you use fire it will speed up the difference in shrinking between the middle and outside

Paracordist

Forager
Mar 30, 2011
NH, USA
www.paracordist.com
First drink from my hand made birch Kuksa! It was a piece of firewood last month, now it's a cup full of tequila on the beach :). Hand tools only - hatchet and knife, coals from campfires to burn out the inside and sandpaper to finish.
a3usajuj.jpg
...then beer
uqy8a6es.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paracordist

Forager
Mar 30, 2011
NH, USA
www.paracordist.com
Thank you my friend. Final capacity 14 ounces. I had planned it around being a big enough for a beer. I still have some minor sanding and finishing, but I wanted to drink!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRAY

Jul 24, 2014
Canada
Looking forad to the finished kuksa .

The use of "forad" like this reminds me of home. good old Yorkshire

You've inspired me to try make my own kuska paracordist. Iv been wanting to try one for a while but the image of it filled with beer has given me the motivation needed to start.

Paracordist

Forager
Mar 30, 2011
NH, USA
www.paracordist.com
The use of "forad" like this reminds me of home. good old Yorkshire

You've inspired me to try make my own kuska paracordist. Iv been wanting to try one for a while but the image of it filled with beer has given me the motivation needed to start.

Thanks! Beer is great motivator. What's forad?

EDIT: oh I see ; typo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE