Cambridgeshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Nice stuff Kev,
I wanted to poke people into suggesting some dates - i know we're disapointed about the last nearly meet but lets not loose the momentum!
So come on folkes dates for the end of June start of July? (i am unlikely to make the ast wek of June and first of July - but can still sort out with a little assistance from someone on site to collect those 50p's etc)

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Wolf - i really hope not - at risk of causing offence i know i would rather be testing me new hammock (ok i still dont actually have it) than watching some nancys kicking a ball around (ducks and runs for cover)

:p

Apr 2, 2009
uk
Hi all, interesting to hear about the planned LITTLE ABINGTON BUSHCRAFT MOOT II. It's a shame it didn't happen. Are there any other plans? Interested in bushcraft type weekend. Hammocks, woodcraft & fires are of interest of course :) I'm in the St. Ives area.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Hey, TheWhittler! I'm in St Ives area too.... Been Thinking of maybe somewhere local, gonna check out golf course now its dissused.. Looks interesting.

Apr 2, 2009
uk
The golf course is a possibility. I guess it's fair game? (No pun intended ;) ) I have a 2 part mission. 1/ dispatch a rabbit. 2/ cook it on a fire drill made fire.

Welcome Whittler (not Kev!) to the Cambridge corner. Sorry guys, we are being a bit slow on this one at bashing a date out for the next meet! (think tims been busy.. Er.. Badgering!)

That golf course sounds interesting, bet there's loads of open long spaces surrounded by bush and trees?! Glad to see they are finally on the decline, bloody things take up far too much space in this country!

Hope your all still out there just waiting to pounch on the reply button as soon as a booked date is up!

I've been updating my blog with my hammock underquilt project,

plus I've carved a pear wood handle for my mora.. ive patinered it with White vinigar..Just got to epoxy it together! it's nothing exotic, no bolster, no leather or antler bits, just a simple handle for a simple knife!.. I'll have the blog up on that one soon!

Been Putting together an open fire stand with those oven lids I aquired!

That's about it for me these last few weeks!

Apr 2, 2009
uk
Hi WolfCrafter, interesting to see your article on the hammock underquilt. I had a particularly cold night when I first used a DD Hammock in April '09 with just a sleeping bag. The insulation gets squashed underneath and it's really cold on the back. I tried putting the netted hammock underneath and filling it full of dead leaves and/or ferns to provide some insulation. That was pretty good. I also realised later down the line that the DD Hammock has a double skinned bottom with velcro strips on one side. This makes filling it full of leaves or ferns much easier. The last time I pitched up I put a couple of roll-mats in the envelope. That worked a treat. You could really feel the difference. I think though I'd prefer leaves or something similar as I wouldn't have to carry anything extra.

Do you find that the wooden sticks you need to keep the mosquito net in shape can slide around too easily? I found putting the end of the stick partway through the end loops keeps everything in place. Better if the ends of the stick are sharply squared off as they grip the webbing.

I think my next purchase will be some Dyneema cord which I want to use for the fire drill and at some point a pole lathe. It has good abrasion resistance apparently.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Hope your all still out there just waiting to pounch on the reply button as soon as a booked date is up!

Fingers poised and ready :)

plus I've carved a pear wood handle for my mora.. ive patinered it with White vinigar..Just got to epoxy it together! it's nothing exotic, no bolster, no leather or antler bits, just a simple handle for a simple knife!.. I'll have the blog up on that one soon!

Would love to see that handle, got some pear to make a handle for my knife - when I get round to cutting it out!

Been Putting together an open fire stand with those oven lids I aquired!

That's about it for me these last few weeks!

I've been playing around with a couple of hobo stove designs, which are looking good so far. Also have been attempting to make a pop can stove - but so far have failed miserably! If I have not had success before next meet, hopefully if I bring the materials etc, someone might be able to show me where i am going wrong

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE