Cambridgeshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
"Here I Come To Save The Day.. Mighty Wolf Is On His Way"....

Well, it just so happens.. It was double booked the same week as Rough Close again!!.. So I'm off there in my 4x4 guys!! If anyone wants to jump on board my Cho Cho Transit .. First come first.. On board!! .. "All Aboard All Aboard Woohoo"!!.. Maybe a convoy if anyone else fancies a drive straight across the A14 to Coventry (2:30hr ish)

I can squeeze 4 others (gona have to be backpacks only though as the boot should just about squeeze 5 packs)

Plenty of room at the site, lots of hazel to be chopped, so PM me if your up for it, and get yourself on the Midlands May Rough Close list with Decorum! There a great bunch, but you can keep yourself to yourself if you like! It would be good for anyone interested, to see how it hangs over there!

Will sort out times when I know numbers! I've got the whole Friday off, the site is open from 4pm Friday to Sunday afternoon! If no one else fancys it I'll get there for 4pm, but if others are working I'll leave later Friday!!

Tims gona have to walk across hot coals bear foot at the next meet!! ;)

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Not too surprised about the cancellation. Was surprised that the bank holiday weekend was ok for us as it is usually a busy one for scout camps...

Never mind, another time.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Shame to hear about the cancellation, hopefully we can organise another date soon. I was starting to think I might not be able to make it that weekend anyway, just been so busy with other things lately (college assignments, new job, exams etc...) I've not even had time to visit the forum.....

But things should be easing up soon with luck, so hope to see you all at the next one

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Hey dont shoot the mesenger!

Although 'bear' foot is an interesting idea.
Feel free to suggest some dates people, i may well not be around (am not much for a while) but am happy to arrange things, and try to do a bit better this time!

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Look what I've just picked up.
Guess what I'm going to be doing for a while?
TreadleLathe.jpg

TreadleLathe2.jpg

TreadleLathe3.jpg

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Looks good kev!
Wonder how much welly it will give for green stuff - i mean might not hold up to bowls, but a fine aquasition!
Now you just have to start colecting (or knowing you making) the sharps!

:)

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
I'm going to the local woods tomorrow from about 10ish if anyones interested.
All carry in and out as no water, loos or fires but you can brew in a Kelly type kettle. Come and play
The coordinates are:

52°31'52.16"N
0° 3'43.73"E

Grange Road, March,
PE15 0YH

From Roundabout from Chatteris (South end of March Bypass) go toward Tesco's. On the right hand sweeping corner (look for the deer), at the crossroads turn left, then immediately left. Follow the road until you get to a sharp right hand corner. This is the golf club. The next corner is a sharp left hander. The woods are on the right. You can park on the side of the road. When you go through the second gate, I'll be in the middle of the copse in front of you (on the left)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi guy's,
I think we can safely say the "secret groups" subject has been covered and those that need to know about it, now do.

I shall only say:
If you receive a PM asking to meet secretly, or via e-mail (and you don't know the person) be very cautious, remember BCUK is a public site!
Please untill you know members well always meet in public places. and you shouldn't have to give your personal e-mail address or other personal details to other members before you meet).

sorry for any disturbance to the Cambs group, just wanted to keep our neighbours aware of potential problems and issues that should always be made public, I don't want to see any of you guy's caught out.

I've edited the posts referring to it as I don't want to spoil the Cambs group.

Last edited:

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
In fairness i think i would point out that from my recollection of the PM it was a consern about scaring away the wildlife as Leigh expresed an interest in trying to see some of it as being part of the wish for small groups.
Im certainly not taking sides (and dont actually know either of you) and while it might not be the way i would have done things im not aware of anything, wrong in it. Im sure i will be corrected if im wrong but im not aware of this being a problem?

If some people want little groups let them and if most of us like social meets thats fine isnt it?
Just wanted to redress the balance a bit as the post seems a little OTT to me Rap.

As an aside Leigh if you happen across this maybe a posting saying that you are looking for people for small meets and inviting them to PM you might avoid rubbing people up the wrong way - there have ben a few comments on this and PM'ng a lot of people might be seen as suspicious.

But can we please not focus on it - would prefer to try to keep this about positive meeting up (despite my last fowl up)!

Speaking of which we dont seem to have any suggestions for next meet up dates? come on get your suggestions in!

: o)

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
I went to Gault Wood for the day today.
Spotted these strange blooms are they "Ispenttomuchtimewhittling intwood Floraabunda" :confused::dunno:
Gypsyflowersinthewild2.jpg

I brought a few heads home to see if they will germinate in one of our pots
Gypsyflowers.jpg

Last edited:
I thought you were turning a new leaf Rap, chilling out and taking your foot off the pedal a bit! :rolleyes: :lmao:

I suppose I better express my view point!

I was never sent a PM directly (but have seen the copy)

I didn't see it as trying to hijack any of our meet supporters, or members of BCUK. I plainly saw it as a guy who wanted to organise 'Wild Camps', away from open descussion on the forum!

I can see your viewpoint Rap, of there being a sense of exclussion from members who never got messaged, (not that I felt it!) But I can also see why someone would want to do this off forum, as the topic is 'Wild Camping' for small numbers!

'Wild Camping' on private land without permission is against the law in England! I'm not saying it's right, or wrong to do wild camping, people who know and have met me will know my opionion, I don't want this thread to open a can of worms on the subject of 'Wild Camping' which has been covered extensively on other threads!

IMO as I read it, it is a list just to communicate about meeting up, and would not retract from the wealth of knowledge that keeps people coming back to BCUK!

We can't stop people from swapping email addresses, telephone numbers, instant messaging or texting eachother, giving personal addresses and even local pub names to meet up and chat 'off the forum!!' Each to their own, we all have different ways of doing things!

Personally, I wouldn't exchange most types of details to somebody I've never met, 'Wild Camping subject' or not.. (well.. Maybe the local pub!)

I'd prefer to meet them at an organised event first, and gain a personal opinion of them, to see if I'd get on with that person or not, and if we have the same interests or not.. before randomly meeting up in some woods I don't know, and some woods I don't know all the escape routes of! (it's ok Kev, you've already been vetted and vacinated!!)

Plus, there are also 'fishing' scams to be aware of on the Internet, (not that I'm saying Robinson is 'Fishing', I don't know the guy)

The plus side of using the forum is that it's moderated and brings people into your reach you might possibly not of met anywhere else. The down side, it's always open to other peoples viewpoints/opinions.. who might not nesassarily be the same as yours!!

Maybe if Robinson came to a Norfolk/Cambs meet first, to get to know people, and their views on subjects.. Then collect details.. would be a better approach!?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE