Cambridgeshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
"Shame I missed you" likewise Kevin, sounds like you all had a good go with the bowdrill, would of liked to try that myself, but didn't get around to it, meeting new people an all.

I would be interested in the meet at March, but I do have LOADS of homework right now, so I'll have to see in a few days time.

Are many people going out of interest?
Might just be me although I won't be sleeping overnight as I am only about 1/4 mile away from the woods
Launditch and Globetrotter might...
Any one else?

Was ace to meet some local bushcrafters, share some ideas and get to know one another. Unfortunately I can't make the March meet as have already booked myself for a four day slog to Thetford Forest and back, over Easter. Plenty of rain and wind chill to look forward to, oh yes!

Really impressed with the level and range of skills and degree of organisation of the bushcrafters I met. Lots of stuff to stew over and learn. Very inclined to give the tarp & hammock set-up a go instead of tent & sleeping bag.
Good site too, and having actual toilets was very luxurious.

Thanks everyone for making it a great day :)

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Just spent the afternoon in the woods.
Sat in a clearing I’ve spotted for Saturday, contemplating a brew on the new hobo stove, when I spotted someone lurking, watching me :eek:. I went over and he said he was the deputy warden for the site and heard me breaking a branch while walking around. Apparently they're not used to anyone going into the wood, just walking around the outside. I told him why I was there and explained some of us might be coming for a day on Saturday.
:welcome1:He is a nice bloke. He showed me where they are coppicing ash and willow. I said I was maybe going to have a go at a bit of weaving and he took me to where there was some suckers cut off, and said I could help myself goodjob. He showed me a pile of weathered ash staves and where they were soaking some thicker Willow for making eel traps. He also showed me where he had planted some willow and was training it into a natural growing hide and the badger set they have there. I assured him we would keep away as they have several young in the set:pokenest:.
He showed me back to where I had left my gear. He told me that it was OK to have a brew but fires are frowned on, and the Warden was not quite so understanding.
I settled down to get the stove going and within 5 minutes, another bloke was advancing on me :dunno:. He asked if I had a fire lit and I showed him it was the hobo and it wasn’t going to well as it was raining and the wood was a little wet. He said he had a bigger one for him and his wife. I explained what I was doing and he said it was OK as it was contained in a pot but he didn’t like open fires as a group had burnt the floor with a BBQ and the kids with them had been charging around the woods, breaking the trees and scaring off the local deer and other animals there.
I said about Saturday and he was OK with it until I said about camping.
No overnight camping allowed I was told. Some backpackers had spoiled it again with open fires and “ringing trees” with guy ropes etc. While they do occasionally ring trees to provide dead trees for woodpeckers, etc they weren’t too happy.
He also corrected me when I said about Sycamore. THERE ARE NO SYCAMORE HERE he told me :pokenest:. I looked again - there all ash, etc, all natural to the area. He will have planted 20 000 trees this year, one for every inhabitant of March apparently. He's 74 and just trying to get over prostrate cancergoodjob.
So still OK for Saturday but no sleeping over unfortunately:(.
I’ll be there from about 10 and be in the middle of the first wooded area on the left. See you there:drive:

Nice one Kev, a contemplating brew, not expecting much, then bam! Infomation overload on the site.. Bet you wernt expecting all that action aye! Love days like that! As soon as people know where your coming from, they totally open up to you!

Anyway.. Hi all, sorry for being slow on the return to the thread, been busy sorting my photos & kit, plus putting together a short video of our weekend! (photos are on my blog now, (link below on my signature) I'll be posting the video tomorrow)

Cheers to Badgeringtim for all the help and effort getting it all up and all down, great to finally meet you, you went way beyond all my expectations of what I expected the 'Badger' to be! ;) And cheers for the insights into minimising wood splits and carving techniques! (you all missed a fantastic wooden bowl at the end of packing up, that he kept badgered away in his car boot!)
Cheers to Taws6 for his effort in distance driving, and his enthusiasm in engaging with new things! Hope to see you for an overnighter next time!
Cheers to Eel28 in making sure I wasn't the only one to carve some wood that 'didn't split'! :) (next time I'd like to take a better look inside your teepee, to see how cosy they are!) plus Cheers for the insight on getting meths burners to work properly, might be able to fire my one up now! (think it's to do with the coldness aye!)
Cheers GearGuru for the constant flow of conversation! (even your amazing attept against the odds to defend Bear against the Wrath of Ray!) :)
Cheers RickyAmos for the off topic IT support! And for not snoring too loud in ya DD! Wicked cooking system too!
Cheers WhittlerKev for your enlightenment into the world of steels, and for lending me you spoon carvers! Think my pear wood would make a nice handle for em! Great green wood bow drill trial! Paracord DOES Stretch after all!
Cheers to Jimbob for the new interest in all things bushcraft, enthusiastic conversation, hope to see you at the next meet.. (along with 5 tea bags and a handful of rollups!) joking! Always a plesure to share a brew! :)

Well.. All in all, a great venue, an even greater bunch of guys, and the weather mainly held off till Monday for us!.. Let's get the next one booked ASAP!

Back to finish carving my second pointless wooden object in my break.. Spoochula!

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Thats 3 confirmed now::D

Whittler Kev
Sherwood
Mitch66

The more the merrier.
The coordinates are:

52°31'52.16"N
0° 3'43.73"E

Grange Road, March,
PE15 0YH

From Roundabout from Chatteris (South end of March Bypass) go toward Tesco's. On the right hand sweeping corner, at the crossroads turn left, then immediately left. Follow the road until you get to a sharp right hand corner. This is the golf club. The next corner is a sharp left hander. The woods are on the right. You can park on the side of the road. When you go through the second gate, I'll be in the middle of the copse in front of you (on the left)
I'll be there from about 10am on Saturday
GrangeWoods-1.jpg

GrangeWoods2.jpg

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi Kev

Looks like a great spot, sorry I couldn't make it, I had a VERY late night friday, and didn't get up untill 12:00 on Saturday.

Good to see the weather held off for you both

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
LITTLE ABINGTON BUSHCRAFT MOOT II
PROPOSED DATE: 29/30th May 2010

BUSHCRAFTER MEET LIST:

Right Folks!

Due to popular demand (well a couple of people asked)

Little Abington meeting mark II!

29/30 May the site can accommodate us - and are more than happy to do so which is good news.

The last meet went very well and we were very lucky with the weather, so lets hope for more of the same!
Also if this doesnt clash with the other meets we might have a few more people.

The site is available from the friday night so maybe those less local might be interested, and is an absolute bargain at around £6 fees pp.

So who's up for it?

:)

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Hmm i think it is the Bh weekend is that a problem for everyone?

I cant make the next weeknd but the site might be avialable if there is interest then - just went for the first date they have.

Wil give a few days for a trickly of info to get here and then see where we go

PROPOSED DATE:Fri Night 30th - Sat 29th - Sun 30th MAY 2010

Site Fees Per Person = £3 Day Visit / £6 Fri-Sun
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
BUSHCRAFTER MEET LIST:
Interested:
  • Badgeringtim -- Fri-Overnight-Sat-Overnight-Sun??? Accommodation = ??? :D
  • Jimbob -- Fri-Overnight-Sat-Overnight-Sun??? Accommodation = ??? :D
  • taws6 -- Fri-Overnight-Sat-Overnight-Sun??? Accommodation = ??? :D
  • WolfCrafter -- Fri-Overnight-Sat-Overnight-Sun -- Accommodation = Tarp/Hammock :cool:
Possibly Interested:
  • Eel28 :rolleyes:
Cant Make It This Time:

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire

BUSHCRAFTER MEET LIST:
Interested:
  • WolfCrafter -- Fri-Overnight-Sat-Overnight-Sun -- Accommodation = Tarp/Hammock :cool:
Possibly Interested:
Cant Make It This Time:

Confirming I'm ok for this one :)

BUSHCRAFTER MEET LIST:
Interested:
Possibly Interested:
  • WhittlerKev :rolleyes:
Cant Make It This Time:

Welcome to The Bushcrafters Of Cambridgeshire Thread, If you're thinking about delving into bushcraft with us, why not take a peek at our introductory YouTube Video and Blog Photos page..
YouTube Video Introduction of Bushcrafters Of Cambridgeshire
WolfCrafter Blog Photos of March 2010 Meet

Hi all, think I forgot to mention I put together a youtube vid of the last meet! (for the hell of me I cant get the thing to upload in widescreen!!!.. Ricky?? :confused:)

Anyway.. take a look peeps.. no official Logo as yet, but I think it works as an introduction for others to see the layout, with a few snippets of us being rough butch men!.. (celtic music playing in the BG.. so sound up!)

Link at the bottom on the last official update list!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE