Cambridgeshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Yeah see you all there.
Dont forget to bring bits and peices to show who you are and all that. And yes i am afraid it isnt going to be the glorious weather we have had over the last few weekends.
but hey ho!

:) am looking forwards to meeting you all!

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Howdy all, just a little note if anyone coming this weekend has a few bits of logs for whittling, i have erm kinda run out of ash, and did say i would bring some for others to play with - but wont be able to. So any whittling bits would be appreciated! Green would be best but older would be appreciated i am sure!

right now what food to bring

hmmm foood

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Hi All

Looking forward to meeting you all. Sorry the weather report is not good. Still it will test out my new kit to see if its up to scratch.:umbrella::umbrella:

Hope you all don't mind but I will also be bringing my ham radio :yikes:with me. it's a little dual band hand held, just checking coverage with local area. I will be keeping the volume very low so no noise polution.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Apparently there are a few other scout groups there so i dont think a radio will be a problem, if it is we can switch it off!
But what is a ham radio? feeling i am being daft but then I have a very odd mental image right now!
Kinda a spit roast DAB?
:)

Re weather we are trying to sort out a bit of a tarp set up so there is some cover

Hi guys, Rough Close here! .. 12:30, everyones In bed and it's just me, the fire, my phone, and a little drizzle! Woods are all wet for burning, but everones still managed to get something going. Everones so friendly here, with lots of chit chat and advice/comparing notes!.. Little note.. Check.. Double check.. Then check your kit one more time!.. There always something you forget.. Like remembering to check the batteries in your head torch! Dow! .. And I forgot to load up the car with wood to burn for Cambs! Sorry!.. Plenty of hazel here though.. So if anyone wants some straight bits.. I'll get the axe out tomorrow!

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Right last post before im there.
Im off home to pack, all coming should have my number which was on the joining instructions etc.

Be carefull finding the site as the sign is very small and looks a bit like a footpath !!!

cheers

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Apparently there are a few other scout groups there so i dont think a radio will be a problem, if it is we can switch it off!
But what is a ham radio? feeling i am being daft but then I have a very odd mental image right now!
Kinda a spit roast DAB?
:)

Re weather we are trying to sort out a bit of a tarp set up so there is some cover

Sorry its Amateur radio, 2 way radio type of thing. there are a few repeaters around the area to give a wider coverage. Anyway I can show you when I get on site.

Cheers

Rick

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Hi there, just found this thread, literally five minutes ago! Wish I'd seen it months ago. Ach well, suppose its probably too late to get in on this meet, but would be definitely interested in getting in touch for future events.

jimbob,

Well i agree with your synopsis of Cambridgeshire!

I have PM'd you if you get in touch might be able to sort something for this weekend

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
The suns shining and im off to the site to make the most of it - will see some of you folks there!
I manage to have packed a car full for couple of days - good job am not walking in!!

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hey guys. Thanks you all for the very warm welcome, it was great to meet some fellow bushies, and to check out the different types of kit. Particular thanks to Tim who guided me with my spoon making mission.

I'm just gutted I had to leave, where did those 7 hours go??
Looks like the weather held out well for you all. Let me know if there's any other meets comming up, I'd certainly be up for an overnighter or a 'bimble', and to get stuck in with an attempt at a bow drill.

Hope to see you again soon,

Paul

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Hi all

I'd like to say a big thanks to all the guys who came to the meet this weekend. I had a great time and picked up some bushcrafting tips. Many thanks

Rick

Here a few pics taken on my phone:-

http://pbckt.com/sQ.nW8

goodjob
As they said in "Ghost" - Ditto.
Cheers for the warm reception , sharing, laughter and knowledge shared.
Lets be doing it again dudes:drive:

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Hey guys. Thanks you all for the very warm welcome, it was great to meet some fellow bushies, and to check out the different types of kit. Particular thanks to Tim who guided me with my spoon making mission.

I'm just gutted I had to leave, where did those 7 hours go??
Looks like the weather held out well for you all. Let me know if there's any other meets comming up, I'd certainly be up for an overnighter or a 'bimble', and to get stuck in with an attempt at a bow drill.

Hope to see you again soon,

Paul
Shame I missed you.:rolleyes: Don't forget next Saturday in March (overnighter if you want). Remember nothing there so everything carried in and out. No "fires" or BBQ's allowed so all brews must be in fire containers.
We had lots of fun watching the firebow session, even though the wood we used was to wet to get an ember. At least the technique was there and I know everyone that tried will soon be getting embers made.goodjob

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Wow posts already! ive just got back and unpacked - ready to head back to civilization :-(

Glad people had a good time - it was nice to get a few last minuters too, the weather was to much better than forecast, although i think wolfcrafter's (slightly odd using usernames now they have become real people having met them!) big tarp was a grand idea and really made comunal feel to the spot.
I was glad to have a play with a firebow - it didnt really seema propper bushcraft meet without an attempt! but sadly as kev says it was the wood so next time....

The carcloth worked well and my karma was tested by ruining a Kuska in the making but sitting chatting and whittling in the sun was a very pleasent way to spend the time!

I reckon more communal food next time though

Thanks to all who came, now to start thinking about the next one (after Kev's idea for next weekend which i cant make).

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Thanks once again to Badgeringtim and Wolfcrafter for all the organisation for this weekend, i had a most enjoyable time - as I'm sure everyone else did too :)

I have certainly picked up a few ideas for things to add to my evergrowing list of things to try! starting with, thanks to Gearguru, having to drink a couple of tins of Red Bull :)

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
"Shame I missed you" likewise Kevin, sounds like you all had a good go with the bowdrill, would of liked to try that myself, but didn't get around to it, meeting new people an all.

I would be interested in the meet at March, but I do have LOADS of homework right now, so I'll have to see in a few days time.

Are many people going out of interest?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE