cake cooking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
has anyone else here tried cooking cakes?
just had my first go
DSC02382.jpg

DSC02383.jpg

DSC02384.jpg

DSC02385.jpg

burnt the base a bit, but not the best fire

anyone got any tips?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice looking cake :)

One tip you can try find a pot for the cake that finds inside a larger one.

You can then put some pebbles or a trivet to create an air space which ought to keep the bottom of the cake from burning so easily. I've also used the wire scourers you can buy as well to create the space

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Grease the bottom of the pan (the same one you're using now) before you do anything (preferably with melted butter) Next sprinkle brown sugar liberally over the grease. Next spread pineapple slices around over the sugar and place a candied cherry (from a jar of them) in the center of each pineapple slice. Last of all, pour your cake batter over that and cook just as you did with the cake in your OP. When it's done, let it cool about 10-15 minutes before turing it over onto another dish to serve.

You've just cooked a Southern favorite; PINEAPPLE UPSIDEDOWN CAKE!!!!

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Grease the bottom of the pan (the same one you're using now) before you do anything (preferably with melted butter) Next sprinkle brown sugar liberally over the grease. Next spread pineapple slices around over the sugar and place a candied cherry (from a jar of them) in the center of each pineapple slice. Last of all, pour your cake batter over that and cook just as you did with the cake in your OP. When it's done, let it cool about 10-15 minutes before turing it over onto another dish to serve.

You've just cooked a Southern favorite; PINEAPPLE UPSIDEDOWN CAKE!!!!

Drool. Pineapple cake now there is a future project I'll be undertaking, many thanks.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I love to make cakes, but even if I religiously grease and flour the tin, they stick.

Is it just me?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I love to make cakes, but even if I religiously grease and flour the tin, they stick.

Is it just me?

Here are a few suggestions that might help:
1. Use a well seasoned cast iron pan for the Pineapple Upsidedown Cake; be advised though that the cake will cook darker, quicker.
2. After gressing the tin, dust it with a light coat of flour (IF anything sticks, it will be the flour rather than the cake batter) I see you've already tried this?
3. Try using one of the more modern flexible, synthetic baking tins (if cooking indoors in a normal oven) Alternatively try a pan with one of the older non-stick surfaces

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE