Bushcrafty films!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
A film/documentary based in Alaska, with a man called Dick Prenoke ( sorry about the spelling). cant remember the actual name but its some where along the lines of Alone In the Wild. its on my hard drive somewhere so ill check when i get home

Is that the film that was on a chrstmas about the guy who is dropped in Alaska to study wolves and ends up eating mice unitl he is befriended by an Innuit hunter? The film I'm thinking of had Brian Dennehy as the pilot. For soem reason i thought it was called Cry Wolf but I may well be wrong on that........

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Is that the film that was on a chrstmas about the guy who is dropped in Alaska to study wolves and ends up eating mice unitl he is befriended by an Innuit hunter? The film I'm thinking of had Brian Dennehy as the pilot. For soem reason i thought it was called Cry Wolf but I may well be wrong on that........

no, that isn't it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

It is a very enjoyable film to watch. here is a snippet - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

Another really good film is "The Last Trapper"

Andy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just bumping this thread as I've reactivated my 'Lovefilm' account.

So any 'fresh' suggestions??

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I downloaded alone in the wilderness off youtube, you can get it in sections....
or otherwise, http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/T21TwNAu3Y0/
I have his book, worth a read.
I have been searching for other clips on the net.....if anyone can recommend some......?

go to isohunt.com and its there complete just search for alone in the wilderness.

Search for bushcraft and there is a 63 GIGA BYTE ! download, RM, Lars Monse, Les, Bear....

stagevu.com is not bad, search for 'map of the human heart' lot of it shot in Northern Canada http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_of_the_Human_Heart

'The Red Tent' is worth a watch.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Peter Weir (The Director of Master and Commander, Gallipoli and several other worthwhile films) has completed work on 'The Way Back' a film based on the book 'The Long Walk' by Sławomir Rawicz. It tells the 'true' story of six men who escaped from a Soviet Gulag in Siberia and traveled 6500 km through the Gobi Desert, Tibet and down into India.

The trailer for the film may be viewed here.

Looks quite entertaining and possibly has a few 'bushcrafty' elements.

However its worth pointing out that the story may actually be a fiction, or may be based on someone elses story, rather than the one told by Sławomir Rawicz, his wikipedia entry provides more information to any who may be interested.

Good movie that. Saw it a couple of weeks ago.

Lots of people did walks like that of varying length.

Heinrich Harrer did a shorter but still formidable one which was written about in Seven Years in Tibet

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just come across The Snow Walker on youtube if anyone wants to watch it, I've never seen it so that's tonight sorted ...

[video=youtube;iiAneUf5QDU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiAneUf5QDU[/video]

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
"Deliverance" has a bit. Canoeing/camping etc.

Wow! Just experienced one of those mind trembling coincidences we all have from time to time. I was reading through this thread with I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here Now on in the background. At the exact moment I reached the quoted post, Dueling Banjos started playing on the show :eek:

"The Earthling" A small boy in Australia loses his in the bush. An old guy finds him and teaches him how to survive. I remember the end showed the old guy had cancer and had gone into the bush to die. Very vague now, but one of the details I remember is the old guy making spear and waiting outside a wombat hole and telling the boy "we need to eat some fat"....great movie and inspired me to get out into nature.

All available on youtube

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
"The Earthling" A small boy in Australia loses his in the bush. An old guy finds him and teaches him how to survive. I remember the end showed the old guy had cancer and had gone into the bush to die. Very vague now, but one of the details I remember is the old guy making spear and waiting outside a wombat hole and telling the boy "we need to eat some fat"....great movie and inspired me to get out into nature.

All available on youtube

Starring William Holden, good film, its on youtube.

Stroller

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 27, 2012
London
My side of the mountain by Jean George made a delightful book about a boy who runs off and lives in a redwood that he hollows out.
A Far off Place based on two ofLourens van der Post's books tells of some youngters fleeing across the Namib Deserted, aided by a San (bushman) and a couple of Rhodesian Ridgebacks.
I felt the books to be better than the movies, but the scenery and the Ridgebacks made it worth watching.

Louis La Amour's Last of a Breed is a cracking good tale begging to be made into a blockbuster.

If you want a laugh, go look up the Alaskan Experiment. I prefered the second series.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE