bushcrafters or gear geeks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Товарищ спасибо, имел, наблюдают, что участок, который Вы поднимаете, я интересую gorka D (холм), но только пальто, которое я пошлю электронной почте им.

все лучшее
товарищ

say that again

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
*wades in*

I find it kinda odd, that on one hand, people are arguing that Bushcraft is about the skills practiced by indigenous peoples, at some time in the past or present depending on location (and other things) in a way of life that includes, largely, living off the land. And on the other hand is people saying that it's camping :lmao:

Now I'm not saying that either's wrong. I just find it funny.

I would say, much as I hate to, that Bushcraft is indeed a way of life, rather than something one sets out to do. Thus, I don't think Bushcrafters are campers, I don't think camping is a prerequisite, it just happens that a lot of bushcrafters don't live in the wilderness so they have to go camping ;) Are nomadic hunter gatherers 'campers'? It tickles me :D

However, I would agree, that most people here are hobbyists, and likely as much camper as bushcrafter, or more. I don't see why it's a problem, though.

And if nobody talked about kit - no offence y'all - but this would sure as hell be a quiet forum. Bushcrafting skills have been relatively constant for millenia and demand much less discussion.

Breakdown:
Edged tools has most threads at 4,640.
Then Bushcraft chatter at 3947
Other chatter at 3925
DIY & Trad crafts at 3613
Kit chatter at 3278
Somewhere down the line, BC and Survival Skills has 1883

Get my drift? The Bushcraft and Survival skills content is great, but there's less to talk about because the basic principles are fixed, and many of the skills are too. There's always new kit.

This is, of course, coming from someone who can't afford expensive kit, and I'm not even kinda slightly almost barely interested in reading about which backpack has the most side pockets and which water bladder tastes least like plastic.

I don't like the term Bushcraft either. I think it's a meagre attempt to put a label on a massive range of skills that would probably be better called, by those who need them, 'life'. Hence why I think arguing over/getting snobby about it/getting angry about it it is pointless, and why I hated attempting to define it ;)

*wades out*

*wades back in*
PS: My above laughter wasn't an attempt at being condescending, and I know that nobody was calling nomadic hunter gatherers 'campers' :rolleyes: Just in case, yknow!

*wades back out*

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Can you have Gear without being a 'Gear Geek' , to some degree?

If you were an indian who lived way up the Amazon and all you have is an old machete, then some people who saw you might think 'Thats's a battered old machete' while someone even more remote or less poor/experienced might think 'thats a nice machete, one day I want one of those'.

Is being a Gear Geek about keeping up with fashion or wanting the very latest?
OR
Is it about some people being a bit jealous of other peoples nice gear?

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
nubrella-1.jpg

I need one of these. :D

I'll take whats under the bubble please..:lmao:

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
Can you have Gear without being a 'Gear Geek' , to some degree?

If you were an indian who lived way up the Amazon and all you have is an old machete, then some people who saw you might think 'Thats's a battered old machete' while someone even more remote or less poor/experienced might think 'thats a nice machete, one day I want one of those'.

Is being a Gear Geek about keeping up with fashion or wanting the very latest?
OR
Is it about some people being a bit jealous of other peoples nice gear?

Perhaps "being a Gear Geek" means: participating in bushcraft just to have an excuse to fondle all your beautiful gear;
And "being a Bushcrafter" means: using your gear only as a means to doing bushcraft.
I dunno, just another opinion. Many shades inbetween etc.

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
I don't care - call me a camper (sneer at me for being one), call me a 'bushcrafter' (a term the romantic part of me likes), call me whatever. Still not sure how someone in the UK can think of their 'bushcrafting' activities as anything other then leisure and pleasure time - play, if you like. And at that point you lose any claim to worthiness and superiority.

"Play".... I like that. :)

As to labels, well, I don't really go along with those, so I am not at concerned if someone wants to call me a "bushcrafter" or a "gear geek". Many people, however, call me "eccentric", and I can go along with that, with a degree of pride. My wife, a psychologist/teacher reckons that I am somewhere on the autistic continuum, and I can go along with that proudly too. :p

I retired a couple of years ago. Quite often, as is the case in modern society, people ask "What do you do?"

My stock answer.... "I play".
If people comment on my "stuff" (gear). I just answer "I like nice toys".

Rod

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Well to be honest I'm neither. I go wild camping for the company and food, I go to the odd bush craft meet as there is always a large amount of kit on display for me to look at, some well out of my price range, but sometimes there is cheaper kit that has been used and abused and stood the test of time.When I go to the woods I don't go to practice bush crafts, dilly bags, carvings etc etc. I go to practice survival skills which is a mix of traditional methods and a lot of modern techniques, the gear I have is stuff given to me, stuff I have bought from charity shops surplus shops and i even make my own kit, so I'm not afraid to damage or destroy my kit. I always look on this site to see what folk are buying and what they are selling it saves me the time in doing the research and wasting my money on useless items.The important thing is I'm out there doing what I enjoy.

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
Well to be honest I'm neither. I go wild camping for the company and food, I go to the odd bush craft meet as there is always a large amount of kit on display for me to look at, some well out of my price range, but sometimes there is cheaper kit that has been used and abused and stood the test of time.When I go to the woods I don't go to practice bush crafts, dilly bags, carvings etc etc. I go to practice survival skills which is a mix of traditional methods and a lot of modern techniques, the gear I have is stuff given to me, stuff I have bought from charity shops surplus shops and i even make my own kit, so I'm not afraid to damage or destroy my kit. I always look on this site to see what folk are buying and what they are selling it saves me the time in doing the research and wasting my money on useless items.The important thing is I'm out there doing what I enjoy.

snap. Other than the meets- never actually got along to one of those

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
I suppose it depends a lot on your personality which side off the fence you come down on. Personally (and I'm not really a bushcrafter anyway) I'm fascinated by bushcraft because I've always wanted to get away from social consensus reality (sorry to be pretentious) and just be on my own, or with people you know so well you don't have to make small talk. If I go for a wander, or a long bike ride on my salvaged bicycle, I like to feel I've escaped the clutches of society by ducking unseen under the fence. If I felt I had to buy a £400 bike, or a £300 knife to do it, I'd feel more like I'd paid a big fee for a temporary pass. I don't know if that makes any sense? I see society as a big machine that is hell bent on keeping your nose to the grindstone and pressuring you to hand over any proceeds to buy crap that you don't need, so I get a feeling of triumph if I can dodge this system by finding ways to make do by mending, adapting, DIY and salvaging. It makes me feel like I'm subverting a powerful system. I realise that's my own personal conceit, and maybe just results from being naturally a bit misanthropic, but for this reason I agree with the original poster.

I go hiking and camping in and around snowdonia regularly (not as often as I would like) and normally carry a full rucksack full of layers, lunch accessories and maybe the odd book. I am fully aware with my knowledge I don't need any of this and can cope easily with just the tools in my pockets (Helle symfoni, Swedish Firesteel and a whistle).

There is nothing wrong with plenty of extra kit and a few gadgets like GPS or a thermos. I think the line should be stopped when you bring a water bottle that digitally monitors your water consumption or other stupid gear (www.squidoo.com/GoodKit, see the bottom bits)

I always take lunch despite I know where to find wild foods and how to prepare them with little or no equipment. I suppose its because I am a student and I drink too much, but at least I have the knowledge and for me, thats the most important thing.

I always encourage others to learn more when hiking with a local club and try to get them to learn the uses of plants as we go by. Even started making websites :D www.squidoo.com/MEPUK

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I don't see why folk get so het up about what others are doing or by what they've got.
Let people enjoy themselves, leave them bide and get on with your own thing.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I don't see why folk get so het up about what others are doing or by what they've got.

Nicely said, my thoughts as well. I have enough going on in my life to not worry too much about what others are doing!!!

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands

It could just mean they're interested in other people doing things differently.
One reaction is to look the other way and continue your journey, another one is engage in conversation and exchange ideas. Saying "I don't understand why some people (...)" can be a first step to this. Or, indeed, it can mean "they do things differently, therefore they're wrong". YMMV.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
It's fun getting excellent shiny gear which was researched for months before it finally got bought after which it's so much more pleasant to use, knowing you got what's best in your mind. The hunt is certainly part of the fun.
And yes, talking to others who are not enjoying their gear as much in the field because they missed some details is also funny :p and very pleasing if I happen to have enough gear or know how to make their trip more comfortable/healthy after all. :) The other way around as well of course, always nice to learn from others who happen to have found the holy grail and are willing to explain/help.

It's just a hobby, everyone does it their way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE