Bushcraft TV

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
I think it's a great idea, (probably because i did the same thing before, digiguide is great) :wink:
I think it might be worth entering them into the calendar on the front page too or instead?
I'm not sure if you've got access to it though mate, sure a quick chat with Tone or Adi could fix that though.

Cheers ;)
Carlo

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
12 December 2004

16:00 - Sky Travel - Desert Darlings
Series following six British couples on a 28-day survival expedition through the Namibian desert. The second week of the trek sees tinned food, blisters and searing heat contributing to the tensions. To make life even more difficult, trek leader Major Ken Hames splits everyone from their partner and divides the entire group. A gender war threatens, but all squabbles must be put aside when Janie collapses.
Repeated at 21:00 and on Sky Travel Plus 1 at 17:00 & 22:00

16:25 - BBC 1 Northern Ireland - Wild Scotland
Puffins and Seals.
A series in which Gordon Buchanan goes in search of Scottish wildlife set against the breathtaking backdrop of the surrounding countryside. In this first programme, he leaves his home town of Tobermory on the island of Mull to explore some of the neighbouring islands, including Lunga, Staffa and Coll. As well as meeting comical puffins and seals, he also finds time to visit the spectacular Fingal's Cave.

16:35 - BBC 1 Northern Ireland - Wild Scotland
Deer Island.
Series in which Gordon Buchanan goes in search of Scottish wildlife. He explores the island of Rum, famous for its red deer, seeking out some particularly clever crows.

18:10 - BBC 2 - Natural World
The Wild Wood.
Philippa Forrester spends a year witnessing the secret life of an ancient oak wood in the heart of England, as the sparrowhawk terrorises blue tits, fox cubs learn to stalk rabbits and a buzzard looks for love.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Discovery Channel

16 December 2004

17:00 - Extreme Survival, Pressure

An athlete tests the human body's response to extremes such as G-force, free-diving and climbing a volcano.

Discovery Channel

23 December 2004

17:00 - Extreme Survival, Heat

Extreme heat can devastate the body and mind. In the Australian desert, Ken Bradshaw explores human physiology at temperatures of 120 degrees.

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
13 December 2004

03:00 - Sky Travel - Desert Darlings
Series following six British couples on a 28-day survival expedition through the Namibian desert. The second week of the trek sees tinned food, blisters and searing heat contributing to the tensions. To make life even more difficult, trek leader Major Ken Hames splits everyone from their partner and divides the entire group. A gender war threatens, but all squabbles must be put aside when Janie collapses.
Repeated on Sky Travel +1 at 04:00

09:00 - Discovery Travel & Adventure - Lost in the Woods
Guide to survival in which ex-SAS man Brummie Stokes shows outdoor novice Andy Collins some essential survival techniques. The duo try out their survival skills in the open environment of the Brecon Beacons, where navigation and avoiding hypothermia are vital elements of survival.
Repeated at 14:00 & 19:00

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
14 December 2004

00:00 - Discovery Travel & Adventure - Lost in the Woods
Guide to survival in which ex-SAS man Brummie Stokes shows outdoor novice Andy Collins some essential survival techniques. The duo try out their survival skills in the open environment of the Brecon Beacons, where navigation and avoiding hypothermia are vital elements of survival.

A guide to survival in which ex-SAS man and survival expert Brummie Stokes shows outdoor novice Andy Collins essential survival techniques. Andy and Brummie take a ride with the Barry RNLI to learn more about survival on the open sea.

20:30 - Travel Channel - Treks in a Wild World
Trekking in Lapland.
Series exploring some of the world's most dramatic terrain. Holly Morris embarks on a dog-sledding trip across the frozen plains of the icy wilderness known as Lapland and indulges in a traditional Norwegian sauna. She meets the Sami people who have lived in this area for thousands of years and experiences the thrill of a reindeer race.

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
15 December 2004

A guide to survival in which ex-SAS man and survival expert Brummie Stokes shows outdoor novice Andy Collins essential survival techniques. Andy and Brummie take a ride with the Barry RNLI to learn more about survival on the open sea.

Guide to survival in which ex-SAS man Brummie Stokes shows outdoor novice Andy Collins some essential survival techniques. Brummie shares seashore survival tips and cooks a meal of seaweed and mussels.

20:00 - BBC 2 Wales - Mountain
Mutual Respect.
Stories from the Welsh mountain of Cadair Idris. Following the work of Outward Bound Wales instructor Sally Ozanne and the Mountain Rescue Team in a programme exploring survival on the mountain.

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
16 December 2004

Guide to survival in which ex-SAS man Brummie Stokes shows outdoor novice Andy Collins some essential survival techniques. Brummie shares seashore survival tips and cooks a meal of seaweed and mussels.

Guide to survival in which ex-SAS man Brummie Stokes shows outdoor novice Andy Collins some essential survival techniques. Brummie demonstrates how to attract the attention of a potential rescuer with improvised flares and beacons, using pine branches to produce the maximum amount of smoke.

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
Giancarlo said:
I think it's a great idea, (probably because i did the same thing before, digiguide is great) :wink:
I think it might be worth entering them into the calendar on the front page too or instead?
I'm not sure if you've got access to it though mate, sure a quick chat with Tone or Adi could fix that though.

Cheers ;)
Carlo

Sounds a good idea, and I would then be able to post programmes not just for tomorrow, but for a couple of weeks in advance
If Tone or Adi could let me know if this is ok, and how I go about doing it

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
17 December 2004

Guide to survival in which ex-SAS man Brummie Stokes shows outdoor novice Andy Collins some essential survival techniques. Brummie demonstrates how to attract the attention of a potential rescuer with improvised flares and beacons, using pine branches to produce the maximum amount of smoke.

06:00 - UKTV Food - Wild Harvest with Nick Nairn
The Highlands.
Chef Nick Nairn sets out in search of the best wild food and local recipes that Scotland has to offer. He makes pearl barley risotto, roast grouse with bread sauce, and heather honey ice cream.
Repeated on UKTV Food at 14:00 & 19:30, & on UKTV Food+1 at 07:00, 15:00 & 20:30

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
18 December 2004

05:30 - UKTV Food - Wild Harvest with Nick Nairn
The Highlands.
Chef Nick Nairn sets out in search of the best wild food and local recipes that Scotland has to offer. He makes pearl barley risotto, roast grouse with bread sauce, and heather honey ice cream.
Repeated at 06:30 on UKTV Food+1

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
About Gillmacca's posted dated 12.12 (I think) giving a TV timetable: you mentionned philippa Forrester's film "Wild Wood" which I really loved by the way. No techno background music for one :lol: .

Is it true that by merely having a dog at your side, you frighten off everyone else in the wood?

I am going to have a dog and really look forward to taking him along everywhere. But it would be sad if the wildlife ran away from us...

This is not a TV post strictly speaking but maybe someone here has experience in bushcraft-with-doggy...

Thanks! And sorry guys this post is off topic! Next time I'll stick to TV subjects! :lol:

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
Please note:

I am now listing all tv programmes on the calendar.
Go to calendar then select 'What's on tv'

Many thanks to Tony for this

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
I watched lost in the woods avivdly a few years ago-great show imformative and with a fair bit of humor . I cant understand why brummie stokes isnt on tv more,when you consider some of the ex-sas nonsense on.I thought stokes came across as someone with honest respect for the mountains and woodsI loved his quote (as near as I can remember about climbing everest)'you dont beat mother nature,you sneak up when shes not looking'

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Mon 3 Jan, 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm

New series. Explorer Bruce Parry embarks on a mission to spend a month living with each of the six remotest tribes in the world.

In tonight's programme he is with the Adi people of Arunachal Pradesh in the Himalayas. The Adi were once feared as ruthless warriors. They have been cut off from the rest of the world for centuries, but Bruce learns to live as they do, hunting, eating rats and taking part in sacrificial rituals.

Bruce shares lives and customs increasingly threatened and gives a voice to those the corporate, capitalist world is too swift to ignore.

The Tribe

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Bruce Parry, The Adi Tribe...Genius. Completely brilliant. What an amiable bloke to watch.

Wow, when you think about eating everything that can be eaten, they really go for it. Rats claws, tails...fantastic.

I will definately be watching the next one. Really gave you a feel for the tribe as a whole community rather than just focusing on 'bushcraft' type stuff. It was really interesting to see how they killed the ox beasty, saving every part of it and not wasting 'one drop of blood'. I'd never heard of strangulation before as a regular method of killing animals. And the fact that the elderly tribesman was looking forward to getting some concrete to make his house with because foraging for a roof was simply getting too tough I thought was also interesting. We always see tribes as 'victim' but this group seemed very in control of the changes occuring.

And having a pig that doubles as your drainage system....wow... :shock:

Great stuff.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
ronso said:
I watched lost in the woods avivdly a few years ago-great show imformative and with a fair bit of humor . I cant understand why brummie stokes isnt on tv more,when you consider some of the ex-sas nonsense on.I thought stokes came across as someone with honest respect for the mountains and woodsI loved his quote (as near as I can remember about climbing everest)'you dont beat mother nature,you sneak up when shes not looking'

I watched the re-runs of this a couple of weeks ago on one of the satellite channels....great show and top tips from Brummie but did anyone else notice that nearly all his demo's didn't actually work....the fig4 deadfall was hilarious!!!
The other chap....Andy Collins was surely putting it on a bit....it's one thing having a lack on outdoor skills and knowledge and quite another to be such a prat....the producer must have got him to ham it up a bit!!! :eek:):

Watched the Tribe show last night too....top show and fair play to him for eating everything placed in front of him....I'm not very squeamish but crunching through the tail bone of a rat was too much for me, I've eaten Rat meat before in India and quite like it but not the bone too or the claw!

Sad to see that they are heading the way of the rest of the world though...still you can't stop progress. It's just sad to see Christianity slipping in and changing their traditional ways (nothing against christians.....they were just talked about in the show) and even sadder when they talked about the young people not wanting to do what their parents do and wanting to watch tv and bolliwood films.
Saddest of all was the lack of game for hunting....they used to hunt well and come back with food for the tribe/family...now they get a couple of rats, a squirrel and one monkey!!!!

Best go over there and have a looksy before Tesco's puts up a new store there and Starbucks open a finest coffee shop!!!!!! :yikes:

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Bambodoggy wrote the last post 3 weeks ago on this thread...

Why didn't we continue?

I would have liked to know what you guys thought of various TV programs. For instance the Monday night programs on an explorer (surname Parry, can't remember his first name).

He visited last week the Kombai people in Papua new Guinea and this Monday a forest nation in Gabon.

Quite distressing to see how close to an end these cultures are, the Kombai living in the depth of the forest just about escape the missionaries who tell them to discard their old culture and "please wear some clothes" (ever heard anything so stupid?).

And the Gabon pygmees see their forest logged away before their eyes, dream of a big raod reaching their village and fell enormous trees only to get at a bee nest (honey)...

Give me your thoughts!

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Why should these peoples not have the same experiences and opportunity as those in the richer nations? We long to discover and expose those people, so in doing this we are responsible for destroying there way of life, many more people will travel to there land to see them, after watching them on TV, seeing and reading about them in books etc, in return they themselves become curious to our way of life.

If you don’t want to destroy there ways of life, leave them undiscovered.

Frogo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE