bushcraft+survival skills magazine would you renewal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
hi i got sent a subscrition renewal but i don't think i will
£29 for 6 issues is a bit much but looking at my bookself it would hard to find things i hav'it seen before every issue says the next will bigger with more pages
but it's more ads n less bushcraft same 50 pages
just wondered what others think about it as am still in two minds?

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
kb31 said:
£29 for 6 issues is a bit much but looking at my bookself it would hard find things i hav'it seen before

I haven't tried it, but if you are after things you haven't seen before, I'd recommend "The Bulletin of Primitive Technology".

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I did renew - and I am not sure it was a wise move!
Mass reviews of "She Wees" and sports bras, descriptions (with awful sketches) of "what the kids got up to last week" and marginal items like this, plus adverts seem to outweigh mainstream bushcraft articles, though the wild food articles are good.
Is it that just that I am a childless bloke?
Or is it that the mag is not living up to its title and original promiss?
Or is it just that I am tired and p*ss*d off with the weather/life/everything today?
John

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Which one Red?
Theree are currently : Walking Wales (gear reviews ,walks etc) Gun Mart (gear reviews mainly) and coming soon Sporting Shooter (gear and knife reviews).
I have only just started writing for the later mag (the editor came to me!) and with lead times the first of my columns will not appear until around May/June. There is also a page of Bushcrafty bits by another writer - another new column, so maybe this is going to be of more interest!
John

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
£29 for 6 issues is a bit much but looking at my bookself it would hard to find things i hav'it seen before every issue says the next will bigger with more pages
but it's more ads n less bushcraft same 50 pages

Mass reviews of "She Wees" and sports bras, descriptions (with awful sketches) of "what the kids got up to last week" and marginal items like this

Theree are currently : Walking Wales (gear reviews ,walks etc) Gun Mart (gear reviews mainly) and coming soon Sporting Shooter (gear and knife reviews).
I have only just started writing for the later mag (the editor came to me!) and with lead times the first of my columns will not appear until around May/June. There is also a page of Bushcrafty bits by another writer - another new column, so maybe this is going to be of more interest!

What magazine are we talking about? :dunno: :confused:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I agree with you John, I wasn't keen on some of the articles prefering 'hard skills' instead of opinions on various environmental issues and plastic urinating devices (which incidentaly my wife thinks are a waste of time and money!).
Having said that I though Patrick McGlincheys articles were very good, as are the ones he's done on here.
As has also been said its alot of money for six issues, I think its better to spend the cash on some gear or a bushcraft book which I think I will do instead.
Ed

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
I looked at three copys of this mag its not bad BUT I find it verry shallow not much of a read .its ok if you new to bushcraft .I think the bc uk mag is more me. are there any more mags out there?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Stuart - I am sorry about the confusion.
1/ Magazine subscription discussed is for Bushcraft and Survival, this is the one that had a multi page reviews of female urination products and sports bras.
2/ British Red said he sometimes reads my magazine: I write for GunMart, Walking Wales and now Sporting Shooter, none of which have (to the best of my knowledge) reviewed female urination devices or sports bras - yet!
John

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:eek:

Sorry for the thread Hijack :(

To answer the question though, Gunmart - I always respect a fellow the opinion of a fellow "beardy". I have a regular "debate" with a previous colleague of yours on SWAT too :)

Red

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
John Fenna said:
2/ British Red said he sometimes reads my magazine: I write for GunMart, Walking Wales and now Sporting Shooter, none of which have (to the best of my knowledge) reviewed female urination devices or sports bras - yet!
John

Butter my buttocks, I KNEW I recognised that name from somewhere but I couldn't put my finger on it!

Oh and back on topic, I wouldn't have renewed either if I didn't seem to be on automatice renewal.
It is a bit on the crap side, varying between a (poor) diary of 'what my kids did, aren't they great' and advertorial for some of the companies involved.
..but, and I hate to say it, it's better than the in house mag.
:(

I subscribe to both of them, i like the size of the Bushcraft magazine as it can be taken anywhere without too much damage (i also like the free gifts :) ), both are very similar in content but i would like to see more history of bushcraft skills and bushcraft in different cultures but they are quite new on market and costs limits their content.
For more advance bushcraft then as torjusg recommends, the Bulletin of Primitive Technology is a superb bi annual magazine that wins hands down for in depth content.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE