Bushcraft Mufti

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
100_1167.jpg

Would you argue??

OK Thread Hijack over!!

I know they do womens refuge, i wonder if they do a bushcraft version for greg, i bet you sleep with one eye open at night

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

One of the activities I run with younger client groups that they find good fun is 'seeing without being seen'. For that in the course outline infomation and notes to parents I ask that the clients come along with 'muted natural tone clothing'. Often they turn up in an old camo jacket or trousers or both or some hunting kit borrowed from dad or an older sibling... Some clients turn up in a red or blue fleece jacket... for this activity some old camo kit is absolutely appropriate. In fact I can be in the supermarket here and they'll be folk in a camo fleece top and bottomswith a spot light battery and a skinning knife on a belt and no one bats an eye lid..

In the UK in Tescos that might be a bit different.

Personally my take is that as long as clothing is suitable then crack on. If your set up is slipping into 'role play' of one form or another then you might need to have a few words with yourself.

E

ex member coconino

My take on this is that when I'm in woods I don't want to detract too much from the view others around me have of their surroundings, so I favour subdued colours, but not camouflage. I also prefer not to catch in the corner of my eye any bright colours I might be wearing, because I find it creates too much contrast with the natural tones around me. But it's a very personal thing (much like the spelling in this thread! ;)) and my efforts are blown out of the water by some folks I go out with who enjoy wearing fluorescent work-wear, and good luck to them. I did buy a camo tarp in the recent group buy, just out of curiosity, but I'll likely try to swap for a plain one in the autumn.

In my neighbourhood of Brixton (inner-city London), some Rastafarians wear full camo as a matter of course. It's at the same time a militant statement (‘soulja’ uniform), a reminder of the lush vegetation of Jamaica and Ethiopia, and a mark of urban bushcraft and street-level survival.

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
I once did an experiment, three or four of us were stalking in Scotland and we each laid out the jackets that we had with us on a broken down wall. I walked back an took photos from various distances. I can't find the photos and don't recall in detail what the results were but I do remember that a plain, dark green jacket stood out like a sore thumb and a light brown/green check lamby ranger shirt was almost invisible. Obviously this experiment only proves what the human eye sees and, importantly, did not involve movement. The background was sitka/rocks/molinia/heather. Glyn.

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
I'd agree with the "one item of camo only" statement. Personally, I also generally avoid British DPM, but that's because I'm a forty-something tubby bloke with a short haircut and I don't want people to think I'm trying too hard. It's probably all in my mind but I feel a lot more comfortable in public wearing one of the number of items of various European camo patterns that I own. The only item of British DPM kit I own is my Bergen and the only time I wear tops and bottoms together is when it's wet as I have a complete set of German Flecktarn goretex.

SWMBO on the other hand has complete sets of both temerate and desert dpm

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
I'd agree with the "one item of camo only" statement. Personally, I also generally avoid British DPM, but that's because I'm a forty-something tubby bloke with a short haircut and I don't want people to think I'm trying too hard. It's probably all in my mind but I feel a lot more comfortable in public wearing one of the number of items of various European camo patterns that I own. The only item of British DPM kit I own is my Bergen and the only time I wear tops and bottoms together is when it's wet as I have a complete set of German Flecktarn goretex.

SWMBO on the other hand has complete sets of both temerate and desert dpm

41rxohmbell_ss400_.jpg

me too!

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Ah well. If i am going to be with others then I'll try and blend in .

So I have bright yellow and purple shirts and a safety orange belt and a selection of hats - Aussie bush, Boonie etc.

I also have left over jungle cams as well as jgs BDUs as well as plastic fantastic Columbias and karrimor trousers.

But on serious trips then its back to basics Od or Desert 4 pocket shirts and trousers. Nothing else will go the distance in the ulu

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
I'm with Tfan on this. I have a lot of olive drab from a range of armies including Serbia and Italy, and because it's become acceptable as street wear it doesn't look or feel too incongruous. You can wear an M65 anywhere and not feel self conscious. It's the DPM, especially in a British pattern, that's off-putting. I too have a Flecktarn goretex jacket complete with German flag and because it's such a different DPM I don't feel as conspicuous. I do have German army moleskins and para boots, but that combination is staying as they're the last word in comfort.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE