Bushcraft Mufti

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Each to their own - variety is the spice of life - but I am not a fan of over spiced food :D

John, I have no problem with people dressing in whatever way they wish to. However, we don't live in a vacuum and I think members of the general public will quickly form unfounded opinions when they see people larking about in the woods in full camo outfits. These unfounded opinions are then applied to all who profess to enjoy the same activities. However, wearing a single outer camo item is seen as far more 'acceptable' and much less likely to attract unwanted attention. I won't laugh at anyone who wants to wear full military outfits in their spare time but I certainly wouldn't encourage it either.

I understand that everyone is allowed to wear whatever they want but I would just request that they think again before leaving the house dressed like the infantry.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I would say - wear what the heck you like/feel comfortable in/can afford/is suitable for the task in hand/weather/terrain and never mind those who are judgemental/giggly girls/snobby/inverted snobs...
Mind you if such folk do get to you then you will no longer be happy in what you wear/carry - see the start of the list :)
I would not CHASTISE anyone for not fitting in with my particular scheme of clothing/kit ...in fact I like to see variation as I may pick up some hint/tips on what clothing/kit looks good/works well.
Those who feel insecure enough to be contemptuous of other peoples choice do not seem to be putting themselves up for my choice of company anyway so it does not worry me overmuch :)
You want to wear full mil kit or totally home made gear - come sit at my fire and lets chat :D
You want to parade your choice of kit that you are proud of - show it off to me please :D
You want to get judgemental of other folks choices and laugh at them - there is lots of firewood just over the horizon for you....
Each to their own - variety is the spice of life - but I am not a fan of over spiced food :D

Nothing to add. The perfect answer.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I would say - wear what the heck you like/feel comfortable in/can afford/is suitable for the task in hand/weather/terrain and never mind those who are judgemental/giggly girls/snobby/inverted snobs...
Mind you if such folk do get to you then you will no longer be happy in what you wear/carry - see the start of the list :)
I would not CHASTISE anyone for not fitting in with my particular scheme of clothing/kit ...in fact I like to see variation as I may pick up some hint/tips on what clothing/kit looks good/works well.
Those who feel insecure enough to be contemptuous of other peoples choice do not seem to be putting themselves up for my choice of company anyway so it does not worry me overmuch :)
You want to wear full mil kit or totally home made gear - come sit at my fire and lets chat :D
You want to parade your choice of kit that you are proud of - show it off to me please :D
You want to get judgemental of other folks choices and laugh at them - there is lots of firewood just over the horizon for you....

couldn't have put it better myself John, why worry about what kit other people have or how they choose to dress, i try to just enjoy my surroundings and if i can learn something or see something that someone has, so much the better.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Well said there Mr Fenna, the choice of clothing and kit is entirely up to you matey and horsefeathers to anyone who don't like my choices. I am a bit longer in the tooth and have been doing this for over 35 years and as I get a bit older (and some may not agree, a little wiser, shut up Tam) I prefer a few more luxuries nowadays and who is to say thats wrong, only an idiot in my book. I don't dress the same as everyone else although similar, I don't have the same sleeping system as everyone but similar and so on and so on.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
John, I have no problem with people dressing in whatever way they wish to. However, we don't live in a vacuum and I think members of the general public will quickly form unfounded opinions when they see people larking about in the woods in full camo outfits. These unfounded opinions are then applied to all who profess to enjoy the same activities. However, wearing a single outer camo item is seen as far more 'acceptable' and much less likely to attract unwanted attention. I won't laugh at anyone who wants to wear full military outfits in their spare time but I certainly wouldn't encourage it either.

I understand that everyone is allowed to wear whatever they want but I would just request that they think again before leaving the house dressed like the infantry.

Does it really matter? there are hundreds of MOD Surplus stores in the uk and around the world for that matter the clothing is cheap and hard wearing, the only time id recommend folks not wear UK Cammo clothing or any military clothing for that matter is travelling abroad to say jungle environments it looks hostile and is in some outback places not accepted well, but if your sodding around in the woods in the UK who cares??

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
John, I have no problem with people dressing in whatever way they wish to. However, we don't live in a vacuum and I think members of the general public will quickly form unfounded opinions when they see people larking about in the woods in full camo outfits.

I think the general public have some strange ideal when they see anyone dressed up in the woods with rucksacks and axes etc, not just DPM.

One poster here a couple of years ago posted a picture of himself sitting in the woods, hobo stove on the go, knife around neck, axe stuck in a log and said something like "A family with young children walked right past me, like I was invisible" I doubt they did not see him, in fact mommy was probably muttering in a hushed voice "hurry up children, for the love of all things sacred, hurry up".

Back in the 70's and 80's we 'survivalists' all wore army kit, did a bloody good job too. I would say to anyone buy kit that you can afford and is fit for purpose and if it happens to be DPM or army green don't worry about it. Do you really loose a moments sleep what joe public think about your clothes? I don't care in the slightest.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
100_0785.jpg

Hey Civvi person, you got a problem with me wearing DPM? I'll 'ave ya!!!

;)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
What if anything special, is traditional Bushcraft apparel. I ask this because i see people who dress in full Military and then some Ray Mears clones with all the bells & whistle's and I find this kind of amusing. I myself some times wear mil spec trousers but have gotten rid of my smocks.I know everyone has different needs and likes but honest do we need to wear all the gear we have on belt kit. I see some folk with 3 blades, multi tool pouch, possible's pouch, couple of neck knives compass round the neck. I may have poked a stick in the hornets nest on this one. my way is to have what I need for task at hand and the rest put safely away. I dont mean to Chaste anyone, Each to his own.

Any thoughts on this????

Well if I didn't wear my olive drab type clothing that i've been in for the past 17 years, then I'd just be wearing the uniform of a husband bought clothing by his wife in town.:eek:
Such High street uniformity would likely be easily wetted out and take an age to dry and/or go up in a furnace when a spark touched it:lmao:

So no thanks to that style thank you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE