Bushcraft in West Sussex

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Hoping some of you will be able to help with my question.

In two weeks time I am fortunate enough to have a week off, during this week my nephew (9yrs) wants to go camping with his uncle, he is very much into bushcraft and enjoys days out, but he wants to expand on this and go for a couple of days which obviously involves an overnight stay.

Do any of you know anywhere in West Sussex, where we could go and camp out over night, ideally in open woodland where I could put up a couple of tarps & hammocks or a tent, and also ideally where I could light a small open fire in order to make tea/coffee and cook the evening meal/breakfast, plus to give us a bit of warmth during the night.

I could take him where I normally go, but it is fairly dense woodland and at 8yrs old I feel it would be too intimidating/frightening for him to stay there overnight (I can remember my first overnighter all those years ago, very frightening), plus it's quite a hike from the car and as I can carry my own water and provisions without a problem, it's just too much to carry for two people over the distance I am talking about, so as an added bonus if you know of a place that meets the above criteria and has water nearby, well that would just be a bonus

Any ideas of where we could go would be very much appreciated - no rude answers please!!!!.

Thanks in advance for your help

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
six years ago when I lived in crawley, I used to take the boys to woodland south of the towh, just over the dual carriageway from tilgate park (tilgate forest, oldhouse warren). Its a big wooded area with open and dense wood - on one ever bothered us there (access down road from pease pottage roundabout, park at end. grid ref 279330 or park at tilgate and walk over). Another area we went to was buchan country park leading onto st leanards forest - there are dozens of areas there where you could camp (access we used at grid ref 225299, stop in layby and use marked path.

Of course, we did not have any permission to camp in any of the areas listed above, if you want to go somewhere where you won't have any worries, then try wilderness wood its in east sussex but its a beautiful place where you could camp over night and maybe have fires, can't really remember.

There are loads of other areas, especially around the south downs, but I just hope the above helps alittle.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thanks Troy, will have a look at Tilgate on the map, might even go up and have look tomorrow lunchtime, it's not far away from where i work, will also have a look at the site url you posted.

I usually go up around Chanctonbury and Steyning for day trips, but it's a bit too steep to set up overnight, plus there is the lon walk with provisions and water for two people.

B

bombadil

Hi, mate
I can recommend a place. I used to go there a lot when I lived that way, even spent a year or two living there on and off. There's a village called Houghton, just north of Arundel, if you park in South Lane just down the road from the George and Dragon, and at the bottom of that path there is a path which goes along the river bank to some old chalk pits. It's very popular, especially at weekends, but there are plenty of places to tuck yourself away. There used to be water available at a spring that empties into the river Arun, but it's been piped nowadays and you cant get to it except at very low tides. The only problems are some of the idiots who fill the place with litter, but as I said, head past the main area where everyone camps and there are better places. I have even heard nightingales there a few years back, and now's about the right time of year, so if you go and hear some, let me know. I learnt some of my first bushcraft there years ago, and still like to go back, though it has changed a lot.
Good luck, let me know...

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
If you think a halfway house might be a good idea for your nephew's first trip out there are a number of campsites in woodlandy areas that allow fires.

Check out this thread - especially flibb's post (number 67). HERE

Or here's a direct link from the post - there are a number in East Sussex / Kent area. I am particularly impressed by the sound of Blackberry Wood Campsite (formerly Sandown Camp Site) though I have to say I've never been - got some good reviews on the page though. :)

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=4

Marts

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thanks Marts,

That site is just down the road form work, might go and have a look at lunchtime.

It looks absolutely spot on for a first time trip out

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Just been down to Blackberry wood, lovely place, clean and quiet, have booked my pitch already, can't wait to get down there.

Thanks for tip off, if anyone knows of any others please let me know

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
maver said:
Just been down to Blackberry wood, lovely place, clean and quiet, have booked my pitch already, can't wait to get down there.

Thanks for tip off, if anyone knows of any others please let me know

Let us know how it goes Maver :)

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Hiya,

I've just found this thread. As I live in East Sussex, I don't really know many camping spots suitable for you and your son in that area. However, I like the sound of blackberry wood though, you'll have to let us know what it's like. It's always handy to have a place where I can go with friends that want to get into camping but don't want to "rough" it. Also, it means i don't have to show them my favourite hideyholes!!! :D
Where abouts are you in West Sussex?

martin

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Im just NE of Worthing Shinobi.

Had a look at Blackberry at lunchtime as it's only 15-20 min from where i work, the place looks ideal to take young-un, it's only a small wood but all the pitches are private and are cut into the undergrowth and trees, looking ta it the next pitch could be 20 yards away but you can't see it, it's all nice and secluded, best of all you can have a proper camp fire, in fact they encourgae you to have a fire there.

All i got to do now is get my old ridge tent & sleep bag out of the loft at the weekend and make sure their still servicable.

I will take some piccies when i go up there and post them on here along with a site report if you like?

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
"Im just NE of Worthing Shinobi."
No wonder you spend so much time up on Chanctonbury and Cissbury then. Fantastic area up there. One of my favourite trees is on the way up to the top of Chanctonbury. It's a big beech with a lot of the roots exposed. You might be familiar with it?

as for the review and pictures, that sounds great Maver. cheers. :) I know the area very well and know a good few pubs round there. Not that that's going to be much use with the nipper!!
Did you ring them up before you went over for a look? I fancy popping over for a look on my way to work tomorrow evening.

Martin

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Yep, just gave them a quick call to check availability, pricing and too see if it was alright to go and have a look around, very nice lady who runs it more than happy for me to have a look round.

For the two of us for an overnight stay midweek costs £13.00, if you want fire wood a sack costs £3.00 and apparently there is plenty to each sack.

Give them a call on 01273 890035, website is http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=4663

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
think i know that Beech, just up from the car park on the left, the one that the kids (and adults) swing from on a rope?

If thats the one i have spent many happy both in childhood and adulthood swing on that rope :D :D :D

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
maver said:
think i know that Beech, just up from the car park on the left, the one that the kids (and adults) swing from on a rope?

If thats the one i have spent many happy both in childhood and adulthood swing on that rope :D :D :D
That's the one !!! instant childhood regression as soon as I see it. :D
Thanks for the info about the site. I'll be popping up there soon. It's amazing what's hidden under your nose, isn't it.
I hope your nipper enjoys himself.

Martin

J

jm38a1

I have just found this thread , i will give you some advice
only visit chanctonbury ring by day do not make camp at night. if you visit by
night do it on two or four wheels , cover over or take off your number plate
a fast getaway will be needed . I will not say why and will never tell you
Just dont camp over night.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
jm38a1 said:

Never had a problem up there TBH - unless of course you are talking about Lucifer :eek:

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
jm38a1 said:
Now I'm curious ??? As someone that's camped there quite a few times, I've never had a problem. Are you referring to the Xtians or the local yooth?

Martin

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Must admit i never take the car up there, as it's only a couple of hours walking (if that) from home, just put my pack on and walk, find a nice spot and settle down for the day, unless of course i am taking nipper, then we get lazy and go by car and take the short walk option, but do not stay up there over night with nipper - YET!

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
shinobi said:
"Im just NE of Worthing Shinobi."
No wonder you spend so much time up on Chanctonbury and Cissbury then. Fantastic area up there. One of my favourite trees is on the way up to the top of Chanctonbury. It's a big beech with a lot of the roots exposed. You might be familiar with it?

hey martin, i know that tree - spent many a time there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE