bushcraft in the glasgow area and beyond

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
hi there,
when venturing out i usually head up the A82 or even go to the Inverary area. but do any of you know even better places to go and camp, maybe even light a fire. i know the trossachs is a good area but i wouldn't evenknow where to start there as the last time i headed up that way i was pestered by the forrestry commission ranger for camping. i hadn't even lit a fire, plus it was the first time i had taken my girlfriend ( now my wife thankfully!! lol) on a trip and it was the last time she came with me as that incident put her off camping.
your help would be very much appreciated.

cheers
james

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Well, they won't pester you for camping now. Earlier this year the new access laws came into force and you have the right to wild camp almost everyhere in Scotland if done responsibly. Fires are a bit of a greyer area.

So, you could try going back to the Trossachs. Or take the train to either Rannoch or Corrour and walk from there (more moorland but some forest, pretty remote). Or train to Mallaig and then the boat to Knoydart- 'Europe's last wilderness' - it's not wilderness, in fact, but is as wild and remote as you get in the UK as the only way in is by boat or long walk-in.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
James -

My childhood stamping grounds were around Glentrool forest, south of Ayr. Loads of forests, lochs and hills and some great bothies.

Have a look at it on a map - a couple of hours south of Glasgow.

Couldn't ask for better and still comparitively uncrowded when you get further in, especially if you compare it to Lomondside or the trossachs.

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE