Bushcraft field survey?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Very commendable sir😄

You could do a phase 1 habitat survey. Essentially get a map of the area then draw different types of habitat on

http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-2468

They aren't hard to do and are quite good fun in a geeky mapping kind of way 😉

If you are surveying for animals many of the conservations NGOs have web pages dedicated on how to record species for them, some even have survey sheets you can download and fill in..... We often use them at work.

If do any surveys its always useful to pass your your findings on as you never know what you find might be rare or at the very least it'll help create a more accurate representation of what's out there.

Orric

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There are two things that eople tend to leave out when recording: Time, and bad weather.

By which I mean, they carry out a survey (say, of flowers) at just one or two times of year, and thereby only get snapshots of what is there. recording needs to be continuous, as far as it is practical to do so.

With regard to bad weather, I mean that if you really want the feel of a place you need to see it in all conditions, in order to appreciate the place as a system. Too often site visits and recording seesions are cancelled due to 'bad weather' (rain, cold, etc), but the wildlife can't avoid this stuff and still has to cope. Somewildlife is actually easier to see in bad weather because it is more likely to venture out, and if you don't see the site in heavy rain then you don't have a full understanding of where the water runs to and flows from, etc.

Obviously, it depends how thorough you want to be, but for a holistic approach you need to see it in all of its shades.

Get experts in, as others have said - they will see so much more, and if you go around with them you will learn masses of stuff.

Most of all, enjoy. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE