Bushcraft and Survival Skills Mag.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
Hello

got mine through the post this morning. not had chance to look at it properly, but it looks good so far. especially like the article on bushcraft and contemporary living.

not sure if many other people will have subscribed to this on this forum, as there had been some bad responses to it.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Yep. Received mine today.
I am waiting for the other two to show up so I can do a comparative review. :)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
grahoom said:
Hello

got mine through the post this morning. not had chance to look at it properly, but it looks good so far. especially like the article on bushcraft and contemporary living.

not sure if many other people will have subscribed to this on this forum, as there had been some bad responses to it.

I have a subscription and got a copy on Saturday. I thought it was extremely polished, slick and a very professional presentation. Fifty two pages of full colour, glossy mag. However I thought the content was thin and padded. If you add up the column centimetres of editorial (excluding images), then the magazine is very light. A lot of the content relies on images and photographs to pad out the pages. Images are good and certainly add to the visual appeal, but you also need a healthy amount of editorial. What was there was of a good quality though, I thought - just no where near enough of it. Some 12 articles spread over 30 odd pages (the rest is advertising). Of note is that most of the articles were written by advertisers in the magazine and had adverts for their businesses opposite their articles. Some of the articles were meaty, some seemed lightweight to me. There were a couple of articles on fires, one on chosing a knife, a howto for making a birchbark pot, a book review, a couple of bushcrafty stories, a film review and a non-independant course review. There were possibly a couple of other items as well, that I cant remember.

Presentation: 10/10
Volume of Content: 4/10
Quality of Content: 7/10

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Got mine today, seems ok on a first flick through, I'll wait for the other to see what thats like although the thread on it seems very positive.

Is that Graham S on the inside cover holding something up?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
that's me, page four in the advert for patrickms' school.
imagine my surprise when i opened my copy and saw myself grinning back at me :eek:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i would have expected a lot more for £4.95 an issue. while it is presented well, it was a little light on content. but i'll wait and see what the next issue is like. (not that i've got much choice, having paid for a subscription)

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
As above really. I am in presssed by the promote delievery which was always a issue with other mags i subscriped too in the past I hope that keeps up.

I feel they also need to carefully that all the detail is added like on the birchbark tutorial a quick peice on the make of the tools and how the willow thread would have helped.

Other then that an enjoyable read.

James

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I liked the family aspects of some of the articles (having 2 kids myself). I'd agree on the "weight" of the articles. I don't mind reading a long article or explanation if its not padded. As you say, we'll have to wait and see.

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Marts said:
There are three mags - all out this month. The first out of the blocks was BCUK's own magazine, then the one that's being talked about here. There is a third one due too, but I haven't seen it yet.

BCUK Magazine

Bushcraft and Survival skills Magazine

The Bushcraft Magazine

:)

Thanks Marts,

It will be interesting to see how these magazines progress, before I part with my cash. I will keep looking at the reviews for now.

Cheers

Nigel

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
The one caled 'The Bushcraft Magazine' is missing a trick. No online ordering means I can't be fagged writing out a cheque and so won't be subscribing, whereas t'others at least do paypal or credit card so I have subscribed.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Lurch said:
The one caled 'The Bushcraft Magazine' is missing a trick. No online ordering means I can't be fagged writing out a cheque and so won't be subscribing, whereas t'others at least do paypal or credit card so I have subscribed.

Yep, first rule of marketing - dont make it hard for people to spend their money.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE