Bow Fishing ? ? ? ? Can I? ? ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You are wrong on several counts there Uilleachan. On calibres for example, Scotlands rules were well established but have in fact been reduced so that .223 is roe legal, although its deemed too light in England.

As for the increase in deer numbers being caused by estate numbers, numbers are up throughout Britain, in areas where there are forests or small farms just as much as large estates. Roe numbers are epidemic in Hampshire for example, and it seems unlikely that such a widespread rise is due to estate management hundreds of miles away.

If estates are breeding up numbers for financial reasons, why aren't more deer being shot?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Would you mind stating which weapons that are cheap, and appropriate to despatch "deer on the hill", have been banned? Oh and some evidence of lobbying from Sporting Interests would be appreciated

Why ? and quoting lobbying of Victorian and Edwardian sporting interests would take a heck of a trawl for primary sources.
Yes, it really has roots that long…..and longer yet tbh.

I know someone who shoots roe with a shotgun. He's an ambush poacher……though I'll claim publically that that's an apocryphile tale.
Totally illegal. As is a 22 and I did know someone (he's dead nearly forty years now) who shot deer fairly regularly with one.
Crack shot though and always just where he wanted it. He learned in the army fighting the Japanese when he realised that they were using 22's and not the 303 the British were lugging around. They could easily carry much more ammunition, and unless trying to shoot through a brick wall every bit as effective at killing a man, so he thought they'd despatch a deer, and they did.
I sincerely doubt that many shots are as accurate though.

…..we have totally gotten OTT on this thread.
I'm out, and I'll ask another Mod to keep an eye on it.

atb,
M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Actually the act concerning calibres etc. came in in 1991, Schedule 2 of the 1991 Deer act. It was not Victorian, and was one of the pieces of nonsense legislation I referred to.

Still, never mind eh?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You are wrong on several counts there Uilleachan. On calibres for example, Scotlands rules were well established but have in fact been reduced so that .223 is roe legal, although its deemed too light in England.....

Any centerfire 22 or larger is legal here in most (if not all) southern states as well. That said, I don't know any adults actually using any such calibers on game larger than coyote, and damned few people buying that small a caliber for their kids to hunt deer. Despite these calibers being legal the most popular are 7mm or 270 and up for adults and 243 for kids. At least for those using rifles. The most popular shotguns for hunting deer sized game are 12 gauge for adults and 20 gauge for kids.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Can we stop trying to point score against each other please
I for one am getting fed up with it
You have been warned

Play nice

A warm bushcraft welcome to one and all,
For I am Boatnosepanbow! Woodland scavenger, forager and hunter gatherer extraordinare!

Having slayed many many beasts at the mercy of my 70lb draw weight long bow (during my time in the outback in the late 90's), I consider myself an exception to the rule. For many beasts have suffered at the tip of my arrow. Many a wild boar and Australian bush kestrel have fallen prey to BNPB and provided a fine supper for him and his bushland foes.

Let me share with you a few lines from the latest instalment if my top selling, number one book; The riddles and rhymes of a veteran boyeur.

These lines are taken from one of my favorite bowems:

'for as the beast it canters,
along the distant horizon
My yew wood bow, it's poised to blow,
it's heart my arrow resides in,

i chase the growth ring with passion
1, 2, 3, 4, 5,
i add an arrow, draw my string,
and fire towards the Sky.

A bird who's name I cannot share
suffers towards the ground,
for the panbow has claimed his supper,
cooked by fire pit, in the ground'

thanks for reading my bowems guys, foes. this particular one a depiction of my wildest bushcraft dreams...
i hope you all enjoyed my incredible bowem!

Remember, keep your friends close, but your growth rings closer!

BNPB - Boatnose 'the lyricist' Panbow

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE