"Bootfair" Drawknives from France

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
hi biker

did ya feel the `varnish` because it may have been a kind of silicon/rubber that people use to temporary protect the cutting edge of tools ,for transport !!

just a thought !!:)

Yeah checked it, and one of the drips burst leaking semi-dried varnish over my fingers. Not too much disrespct to the seller but I doubt he even knows any methods for protecting tools. He came across as the type who'd not hesitate reaching for a chisel to tighten a loose screw. :eek:

The wooden handles of these were split to buggery so it was obvious he thought a lick of varnish would quadruple the value of them, especailly to ssome dumb "Rosbif" like me.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
what sort of axe heads are you coming across? more large or small? all rusty? do many have handles that are use-able or would most need re-handling?

Biker

what sort of axe heads are you coming across? more large or small? all rusty? do many have handles that are use-able or would most need re-handling?

It's literally pot luck, but Sunday's sellers had all sorts from hatchets to big sledge hammer weight splitting axes. Some with handles but most without. I did see a couple of small hatchets for €8 each and they were new. Most rusty ones I see are just buried under surface rust, others I'm amazed the seller is flogging as they look like they were salvaged from the Mary Rose! I'm not familier enough with different types of axe head styles to say I saw 3 A types and 2 B types. So unless you can specify which type of axe you're talking about (with reference link to a pic) I'm clueless.

I've added your names to the growing list. No promises, as you'd expect. if they turn up and they're OK I'll nab 'em.

JohnC and Celt Ginger I've got to take some pix of the drawknives yet so I'll email you them soon OK?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... growing list.

I often go to France with a van full of stuff and it usually comes back empty. Next trip planned in May, subject to some work actually getting done on the van for its MOT. The garage said it would be ready a week from their taking on the job, and that was two weeks ago. :(

If you're not too far off my route and you have a few hundred kilos of used tools to send to England I'd be happy to carry them back for you. No charge. I've already got plenty of axes, machetis and goodness knows what else so I won't want any of them (unless I see a particularly nice one :yelrotflm). I'd just ask for a note from you for HMRC in case they stop me and wonder why I'm armed to the teeth.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
I often go to France with a van full of stuff and it usually comes back empty. Next trip planned in May, subject to some work actually getting done on the van for its MOT. The garage said it would be ready a week from their taking on the job, and that was two weeks ago. :(

If you're not too far off my route and you have a few hundred kilos of used tools to send to England I'd be happy to carry them back for you. No charge. I've already got plenty of axes, machetis and goodness knows what else so I won't want any of them (unless I see a particularly nice one :yelrotflm). I'd just ask for a note from you for HMRC in case they stop me and wonder why I'm armed to the teeth.

that would be really good if you could arrange something! the postage costs are going to be horrific for heavier items overseas! once they are in the UK will you post them out and we send payment to you then?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
that would be really good if you could arrange something! the postage costs are going to be horrific for heavier items overseas! once they are in the UK will you post them out and we send payment to you then?

Yes, I was thinking that the carriage costs might outweigh the items themselves.

I'd probably ask people to send me the cost of postage (or carriage or whatever method they chose) before I sent them. I have a lot of experience chasing small debts and I don't plan to do any more of it than I have to. My firm uses carriers all the time so it's no big deal to pack stuff and sent it out. Or folks could come to our warehouse and get them if they were close (M1 junction 28). We have vans delivering around the Derby/Nottingham/Sheffield/Stoke/Buxton/Newark areas so that's another possibility but we'd need someone to be in to accept the delivery. There'd be no charge for a delivery on one of our own vehicles unless it was a special trip to a place we don't normally deliver or if we were delivering something like an APC.

Afterthought: Or we could arrange a meet somewhere.

Or if they didn't pay up I'd just keep the danged things. :)

Last edited:

Biker

Emails sent to JohnC and Celt Ginger with photos of the drawknives.

I had the Missus check out postage rates for the drawknifes and was quoted between 6 and 7 Euros. Maybe the price would be cheaper within the UK. I don't have a set of scales handy to wiegh the drawknife.

Ged, top man with that offer! :You_Rock_ Shame neither of us are mercenary at heart. We'd be mill-yunairs this time next year. :eek:

I'm based in Lower Normandy about 40miles south of the D-day beaches. About 5kms west of Condé sur Noireau in a "blink and you'd miss it" village called Pontécoulant.

If you're ever over this way maybe we can arrange a meet up. if you need a place to kip overnight, that's no prob either. The horse would love the company :lmao: seriously though we have 3 spare bedrooms, so no worries. Just give me a few days notice to prime the missus. You know how the ladies are about last minute preps.

I doubt they'd be a problem with customs etc, these are tools not weapons of mass destruction. And you're right about the heavier items outwieghing the cost of themsleves with postage. We'll have to work out some sort of system. Drawknives aren't that heavy fortunately, it's those heavy axe heads that could become a pain. So coinciding the van trips and vide greniers and cash flow and sufficient items available, in theory it looks like we have a pretty good system in the making.

Famous last words? Just watch as the drawknife market at Vide greniers dries up now :pokenest:

Whittler Kev. Nope, no chance of Betty being side lined. Got another drawing done last night. Just needs scanning and captions adding. Maybe tonight she'll appear. Having said that this drawing might end up with me getting myself banned. ;)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Ged, top man with that offer!

Why thank you, kind sir. :)

Shame neither of us are mercenary at heart.

Oh, I don't know that I could honestly admit to that. But I make enough money, and I like to "give more than I take" as I saw on somebody else's sig here.

Pontécoulant.

I sometimes go via St. Malo but that's mostly on a bike, when I'm going to do the journey in about six hours. In a van on my own it isn't safe for me to try it in a day so I like to take a couple of days and go via Caen, Le Havre or Dieppe, depending on ferry times and deals. I tend to use those more than St. Malo on the return journey anyway, so you're practically on my route. It's not even far out of the way if I go via Cherbourg because the major routes take you via St. Lo anyway. On a 750 mile journey a few miles out of the way isn't far for a free cuppa :).

If you're ever over this way maybe we can arrange a meet up. if you need a place to kip overnight, that's no prob either. The horse would love the company

:thankyou: I'm self-sufficient, even if I'm on a bike I'll at least have a bivi bag, but if we do meet up and it's convenient for all I'll gladly accept the offer of mod cons in preference to a spot in the paddock. :) I often stop for the night somewhere in Normandy and catch an early ferry. I'm up early but by the sound of it so are you.

Just give me a few days notice to prime the missus. You know how the ladies are about last minute preps.

Tell me about it. :banghead:

I doubt they'd be a problem with customs ... in theory it looks like we have a pretty good system in the making. ...Famous last words?

We'll see. :)

In other news, about an hour after I posted saying the van was a week late, the garage rang to say it was ready! So we've got it back and I'll be loading it over about the next week. I think I'll travel down around May 9th and return a week to ten days later. I enjoy spontaneity, so I won't know my exact date of return until two or three days before it's to happen. So I guess you have about three weeks to work on the boss and collect more hardware. :)

Biker

Just an update how things stand. I'll contact JohnC and Celt_ginger soon about your drawknives I'm buried under with emails at the moment and I'm getting to yours soon.

I've found 2 bootfairs local to me tomorrow so I phoned the bloke I'm working for on his doors and told him I'd be late so hopefully I can pick up some more goodies, as least edged tools goodies.

Ged. Let me post these first two drawknives out to JohnC and Celt_Ginger and if I lay my hands on anymore in the meantime you can haul them back to the UK for the next bunch of people on the list.
The offer's still welcome for you to kip over here at our place if you want either a room with a velux window to watch the stars at night or a patch in the garden without the Velux window, it's up to you. ;)

I've primed the missus and now that she knows you could be coming this way she's got no excuse to kick off and complain she didn't get the memo. Is it my fault if she forgets between now and then? If you're able to give me a bell, that'd help. I'll PM you my home phone number.

So wish me luck tomorrow for lots of sharpies, or blunties as they tend to be, rusty too.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Just an update ... Ged. Let me post these first two drawknives out to JohnC and Celt_Ginger and if I lay my hands on anymore in the meantime you can haul them back to the UK for the next bunch of people on the list.

That's fine Aaron.

The offer's still welcome for you to kip over here at our place if you want either a room with a velux window to watch the stars at night or a patch in the garden without the Velux window, it's up to you.

Thanks again, it sounds like there's some kind of a plan shaping up. :)

If you're able to give me a bell, that'd help. I'll PM you my home phone number.

PM replied to with all my contact details too.

So wish me luck tomorrow...

Good luck! If it isn't this trip there'll be another time. I might even leave the van down there until June and do a quick round trip on the 'Busa, but I reckon I can get a few axe heads in the tail pack. :)

Biker

I might even leave the van down there until June and do a quick round trip on the 'Busa, but I reckon I can get a few axe heads in the tail pack. :)

Busa'? as in Hayabusa mentel note to self. Keep the 25 year old Kawasaki GPz600R under the dust cover, he ain't gonna be impressed :rolleyes:

No worries if this trip doesn't mean a meet up, there's always another time. Life's short but not that short.

PM replied to. Duh sorry about the mix up with numbers. I'm old and doddery! But I still have full bladder control (sometimes)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
... note to self. Keep the 25 year old Kawasaki GPz600R under the dust cover, he ain't gonna be impressed

It isn't the bike that impresses me, it's the rider. :)

No worries if this trip doesn't mean a meet up, there's always another time.

Sure, we'll need to make it worth bringing the van anyway. :)

Don't worry if you get carried away, I've got an 8 tonne truck too. :)

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
hey biker, could ya stick me on the list for a drawknife, im gagging for one, dont worry about refurbing it, i really enjoy doing that sort of stuff myself.

cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE