"Bootfair" Drawknives from France

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Having read the posting of Melonfish about acquiring traditional tools it occured to me that in all the years I'd been going to boot fairs in England I doubt I ever saw a drawknife in a "box o' rust" going for a couple of £. Yes, those antiquey type stalls always have them all black-leaded up and it comes with a stupid price tag too. The converse of this is over here in France we have things called Vide Greniers, it means "empty your loft" I visit these whenever I can, they're just like a boot fair but the advantage of these is that they're an annual thing for a village and sellers just do it to get rid of a lot of good stuff they simply don't need. Unlike those regulars you see at UK bootfairs flogging the same old tut, week in week out.

Anyway getting back to drawknives. I often see them for sale here, they go for anything between €3 to €8 depending on the condition. They're also old which means good steel :). Obviously for a really good one you pay more but more often it's someone having a shed clear out of their late uncle and want to make a bit of fag money. Knowing this my best mate's asked me to look out for a drawknife for him. So here's my offer:

Would you like me to do the same for you?

No promises, it's purely pot luck. But since I go to vide greniers and rummage through the tool boxes it's no bother for me to hook out a decent one, bag it and post it to you. I'm not looking to make a profit out of this. Just cover the initial price and postage etc and we'll be happy. I'm not sure what the postage is, but I can find out and let you know.

Also. I bought a 300mm drawknife for a mate I work with for €4 (£3.50) but the handles were rotton with woodworm, so I knocked him up a basic pair and fitted them gave it a clean and a sharpen up and it's just peachy now. He loves it and uses it whenever he can find an excuse to. So if you'd like I could even offer a basic no frills refurbishment deal with this too. Your call, no pressure. The offer's there.

So if you're interested in me looking out for something drop me a PM. The vide grenier season kicks off soon, but the summer's the best time. If you're over here on holiday in France be sure to have a look out for them.

I could easily send you photos of any I buy so you can see what you'll be getting, fair enough?

Aaron

PS Billhooks are another item I often see, axe heads large and small, scicles, slash knives for clearing undergrowth etc etc they're always there. Send me your wish list. I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Yes please m8!
interested in draw knives, billhooks and small axe heads please. its what i'll be looking out for here in the Uk too. though in all honesty i reckon all i'll find is dodgy copies of films and old tat peeps don't want :D

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Yes please m8!
interested in draw knives, billhooks and small axe heads please. its what i'll be looking out for here in the Uk too. though in all honesty i reckon all i'll find is dodgy copies of films and old tat peeps don't want :D
Ah the joys of living in the Midlands... Oh wait... sorry... I thought you said copies of dodgy films and old peoples' tats :D

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
That's it I'm definitely heading over to you, our vide-greniers are beginning to get populated by dealers buying and selling and far too many Brits buying to then sell on in the UK for a tidy profit (unlike you mon brave), so the rummage boxes are running a bit thin, the blac-lead is appearing and the prices are going up.

Maybe I should move?

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I would also be rather interested in that.

may I suggest buying up everything you see then selling it off on here?

andy

Biker

Thanks for the PM's and replies. As I said no promises, it really is pot luck. I'll save any names replying here and those who PM'ed me and once the season kicks off and if I get some stuff together I'll let you know via a reply here OK?

Melonfish, it's not that different here either, though I have yet to see any chinese ax heads that you can fold with your barehands... unlike the UK bootfairs. You get the odd chancer who looks you up and down and doubles the price. I walk away. Or don't let them hear my accent until I've read the price tags.

Alex, sounds like the Rosbif's are b*gg**ing it up for everybody. Foreigners eh? :cussing:

Andy good idea :D Not sure I'm that mercenary though, but it seems a shame to see such lovely tools neglected. If I can do my bit by giving them a good home then so be it. (It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it!)
I don't want to overly disappoint you but I've heard it's a common practice to drive to the local tip with all the stuff that didn't sell at the vide grenier. Gawd knows what lovely tools have ended up in landfills! :eek:

Taffy. If I see a Froe and a hollowing adze I've got dibs on 'em! However I have yet to see those, but this year could be different now that I know what I'm looking for :eek: Got myself come heavy duty gouges for use on beams, these looks like cold chisels with spoon type ends for obvious use on wood. Got 'em for €1 for the pair. A bargain!:D

Catch yuz later folks, my pillow's calling me.

Aaron

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Implement sales over here sometimes have Drawknives but that kind of depends on there being an implement sale nearby.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi biker dave 53 here wouldnt mind one of them draw knives please add me to the list if you wouldnt mind
regards dave

Biker

PMs Sent to JohnC & Celt Ginger about drawknives. They were the first to contact me. First come, first served and all that.

The season kicked off pretty badly for me. I saw about 5 drawknives at one vide grenier (boot fairs here in France) but didn't have the spare cash to get them, yesterday I did and found 2 fine examples. I did see another stall but the seller had tarted up the drawknives by dipping them in a pot of varnish, rather than painting them with varnish. the layer must have been about 2mm thick! Some people eh?

Anyway I bought 2 drawknives for €4 each (£3.60-ish) which, in my opinion, are well worth the TLC. The handles are a bit ropey but the steel is good, as is usually the case.

I also saw a billhook but I'd run out of cash by then buying other stuff. D'oh! I did buy another type of bilhook, which looks like a cross between a Billhook and a Scicle. I'll clean that up and fit an handle to it sometime, unless someone's interested in it. PM me your email address and I'll send you a photo of it.

One thing I did get was an axe. Saw the head which is the hammer type with nail removing slot, it was rusty as hell and I got it for 50 centimes (40p) and later at another stall I found some hickory handles for €1.50 (£1.30) Spent about 2 hours last night cleaning the head up and shaping the handle so it could mortice into the head and here's the result: Bargain eh?

axe.jpg

Pretty good start to the season methinks. I'm still kicking myself for missing out on those early ones though. Ho hum, dem's the breaks.

Hopefully this is just the start of a good bootfair season. I love bargains, me.

Bye for now.

Aaron

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
cracking finds m8, looking forward to more.
its a real shame that there's nothing like that round me, i live near a fair number of farmers but all the local car boots are just people clearing junk.

graiman

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2009
caithness, scotland
awesome man, i might take you up on that deal,
the only way i can get decent tools up here in the highlands is through the internet
witch usually means hellish postage, but i dont mind second hand tools they never get obsolete haha :)

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
cracking finds m8, looking forward to more.
its a real shame that there's nothing like that round me, i live near a fair number of farmers but all the local car boots are just people clearing junk.

They might be worth a go if it's a bigish one,I've been going to my local one for probably about 8 months now and I don't often come away empty handed. Picked up all sorts of stuff, I've got a couple of really nice hatchets now and sold on one or two equally nice ones.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
PMs Sent to JohnC & Celt Ginger about drawknives. They were the first to contact me. First come, first served and all that.

The season kicked off pretty badly for me. I saw about 5 drawknives at one vide grenier (boot fairs here in France) but didn't have the spare cash to get them, yesterday I did and found 2 fine examples. I did see another stall but the seller had tarted up the drawknives by dipping them in a pot of varnish, rather than painting them with varnish. the layer must have been about 2mm thick! Some people eh?

Anyway I bought 2 drawknives for €4 each (£3.60-ish) which, in my opinion, are well worth the TLC. The handles are a bit ropey but the steel is good, as is usually the case.

I also saw a billhook but I'd run out of cash by then buying other stuff. D'oh! I did buy another type of bilhook, which looks like a cross between a Billhook and a Scicle. I'll clean that up and fit an handle to it sometime, unless someone's interested in it. PM me your email address and I'll send you a photo of it.

One thing I did get was an axe. Saw the head which is the hammer type with nail removing slot, it was rusty as hell and I got it for 50 centimes (40p) and later at another stall I found some hickory handles for €1.50 (£1.30) Spent about 2 hours last night cleaning the head up and shaping the handle so it could mortice into the head and here's the result: Bargain eh?

axe.jpg

Pretty good start to the season methinks. I'm still kicking myself for missing out on those early ones though. Ho hum, dem's the breaks.

Hopefully this is just the start of a good bootfair season. I love bargains, me.

Bye for now.

Aaron

hi biker

did ya feel the `varnish` because it may have been a kind of silicon/rubber that people use to temporary protect the cutting edge of tools ,for transport !!

just a thought !!:)

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
What an offer. Very generous of you.

I went to my 1st carboot in years yesterday and was massively disappointed. So much tat, but nothing worth having....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE