Book: "Edible Mushrooms" by Geoff Dann

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
I'm very impressed with Geoff Dann's new book (he posts on this forum in the fungi ID thread.)

Here's the review I posted on Amazon (though I bought from publisher website.)

"A beautifully executed and well-thought out book that would suit both the beginner and the afficionado. I have many reference and field guides to fungi (it pays to have varied sources to aid identification) and this is right at the top of the heap, alongside Roger Phillips' "Mushrooms". It is not a pocket guide, though it does fit in the large bellows pocket of some of my coats.

The layout is very clear and accessible- satisfying to use, not a chore. The photographs are exquisite and the illustrations helpful. The descriptions are simple, clear and garnished with interesting titbits of trivia that enrich the reading (see Phallaceae intro regarding Darwin's daughter, for example.) Indeed the writing style is "human" not "mycologist"; you get the impression that you could enjoy a pint with the author and not be bored stiff by a dusty, obsessive expert from a museum backroom. I imagine his courses would be entertaining as well as educational.

In the interest of balance, I have tried to find something negative to say about the book:

1. The font, while attractive, uses a rather ornate lower-case "t" and "p". This takes a moment to get used to and I rather like it, though people with dyslexia sometimes have difficulty with "serifed" and atypical fonts.
2. The index lists only common names, though the scientific name is given in the actual entry for each fungus. When cross-referencing with other works, the scientific name can be a useful constant, whereas common names may vary. I don't see this as a major problem as anyone who knows the scientific name is likely to know the much more memorable common name anyway.

These minor points do not detract from the simple fact that this book is a stunning piece of work. It transcends its intended purpose of "utilitarian guide", at which it excels, to the role of sumptuous coffee-table tome and compelling bedtime read.

I whole-heartedly recommend it.

(Declaration: I have never met the author, his family, their pets, etc. and have no vested interest in this book nor the publisher. I bought this book and did not receive it for free in return for a positive review, etc.)"

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Xav: thanks, well written.
Two things
1. Do you get any sense that the book might apply in a circumglobal fashion?
2. From that, would you please put up the ISBN? (International Standard Book Number.)

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Hi Robson

Xav: thanks, well written.
Two things
1. Do you get any sense that the book might apply in a circumglobal fashion?
2. From that, would you please put up the ISBN? (International Standard Book Number.)

ISBN 9780857843975

The book strictly only covers the temperate and mountainous areas of Europe. That means that outside those areas there might be similar species to the ones in the book (either poisonous or edible) that aren't even mentioned. There may also be good edible species left out. On the other hand, the book does provide information about the global distribution of the species it does include, and out of 320 of them, at a rough estimate, I'd say about 200 of those are present in the temperate/boreal/mountainous zones of northern north America. So I'd say it is still a useful and interesting book to somebody living in northern north America, but not quite as useful as it is in Europe.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks. I'm at 53N in the wet western part of the Rocky mountains.
We get a great diversity of mushrooms up along the mountain logging roads in the autumn.
Some of that _must_ be edible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE