Blasts from the past.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
There has been some talk lately about too much kit and too little technique being discussed on the forum so I thought it might be time to revisit some old topics from the archives as it were.

So time to dust off those old threads that still have some life in them.

I've just picked three topics at random and bumped them to see if people really do want to talk technique or whether we are perfectly happy talking kit around the virtual camp fire. ;)

If you know an old thread that deserves resurrection why not give it a bump too?

Reactions: JonnyP

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i think this is a great idea and i hope more people will do it on a thread that deserves it, there is far to much talk about kit on this site
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Have done so weaver - good reminder - I never did post that one here ;)

I like "trying stuff out" so technique (and my many, many, mistakes) always interest me. I often think my mind is wired "weird".

The bucksaw thread has really got me thinking right now...mine has to cost less than a fiver all in but be really, really solid and lock up tight! I reckon it can be done (including the blade price). I often wonder why people say "I can do better than that" but don't share the "how" of it?

Hmmm off to find some broom handles ;)

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pictures here Tony

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=17181&highlight=shelter

Wayne makes some good points about care with ticks and bracken in the thread (to be honest in that area of the Welsh Marches you spend your day wading neck deep through the stuff :D - thats no excuse for not taking care mind you)

I only took piccs of that one as someone asked me for a few "how to's" on another site. I'll do a few more next year when its back to bivvy season since there seems to be some interest in these little photo sessions

Red

typha

Mar 31, 2006
Lanarkshire Scotland
Thankyou to Wayland.
Nice shelter photographs British Red, you must have cleared quite a large area of bracken collecting the thatching.What did you use to tie the thatch bundles on?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
No thanks required.

This stuff was all here already, you just need to go back far enough.

When I use the search function I usually go to the last page, which gives the oldest threads.

There's stacks of good stuff back there. Give it a go and bump up some good threads if you find them.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It is a good idea you know Wayland....but it needs a name mate...."panning for gold" maybe :D

typha, that particular pot is overgrown with bracken - literally - it grows 8' high and covers a massive area. I remember reading about people using bracken for animal bedding and under thatch years back and though "well it has to be good for something" ;)

We started off stripping willow bark for improvised cordage but switched to paracord later (when I got bored:))

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE