Bivvy bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Im thinking of buying a bivy, I do most of my camping from early spring til mid autumn, not really much winter camping to be honest :( So taking this into account what bivvy do you recommend? and what sort of price am I looking at for a "decent" one, doesn't have to be top notch just needs to do the job.

Thanks

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Ex army ones are great,do the job and pretty hard wearing.

Personally I like ones with a zip opening just 'cos it's easier to get in and out of.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The issue bags are great bit of kit, you can pick them up on ebay easily enough for around £20-30. If you can stretch your budget a bit further then some folk prefer a more enclosed bag with a hoop at the head end.
I'd get an army first and see how you get on though. Good thing about the goretex bivvy bag is they hold their value well and you'll always get your money back.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I can't find a good one on ebay, im getting either ones for 40-50 quid or less than a tenner which I know will be terrible, could someone link me please :'( :rant: can't use bl***y computers

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I can't find a good one on ebay, im getting either ones for 40-50 quid or less than a tenner which I know will be terrible, could someone link me please :'( :rant: can't use bl***y computers

I'm useless with 'puters too.:eek:

Try a wanted request,someone may have a spare if they get a newer one for Christmas.

Endicotts are good with their prices usually,iirc.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
im thinking of buying the one for a tenner, is it one thats likely to meet my requirements? its doesn't need to be amazing, is the cheap price because of the 1cm tear or because its not a good one?

fergus77

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2006
Portreath, Cornwall
ex army ones are well good for the money, if you get a cheap one. I had one that had a hole the size of a 50p. fixed the hole with a puncture repair kit and re-proofed the bag. blinding bit of kit after that

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I personally like my Rab Survival Zone costing £40 at Field & Trek (if you can find them there as a bit hit and miss). Light, waterproof and actually breathable just don't seal yourselfin it as it is not a fully enclosed one but a kind of sleeping bag cover. You can of course use it upside down so the longer length (hood bit) is on top to protect from rain. I use mine with a lightweight tarp. Some use a micro tarp that only covers the head area when in a flying v setup. ALpkit Hunka is similar but shorter and the fabric is not as good.

Try www.SASS.co.uk I think. Sea ans special services I think is their long name. Based near Morecambe I think. They also supply their own stuff too.

Failing that there are numerous surplus stores around. Does Attleborough's do them?

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
I've used my goretex issue bag out and about plenty, never had a problem with it even it heavy rain and even snow. My partner had a breathtex issue bag, which leaked like a goodun' and he only used once. He now swears by his Rab Storm bivvy, which I have to admit I wouldn't mind one of myself :)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I personally like my Rab Survival Zone costing £40 at Field & Trek (if you can find them there as a bit hit and miss). Light, waterproof and actually breathable just don't seal yourselfin it as it is not a fully enclosed one but a kind of sleeping bag cover. You can of course use it upside down so the longer length (hood bit) is on top to protect from rain. I use mine with a lightweight tarp. Some use a micro tarp that only covers the head area when in a flying v setup. ALpkit Hunka is similar but shorter and the fabric is not as good.

Me too! My Rab Survival Zone has done umpteen nights under the tarp - not so sure I'd risk it on its own in rainstorm though. I've got one of the old ones - I think they use a different fabric now and it has never let me down. Only problem is the bright purple colour.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE