bivi-bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

willie

Forager
Sep 25, 2004
aberdeen,scotland
www.google.com
Hey i am on the market for a bivi bag i was lookin for a relitvly cheap one a i hav no regular cash flow . i am perticuarly intrested in a bivi with out poles. but wouldnt mind having a look at a poled one if as cheap as non poled one , and was wondering if anyone could shed some information on the subject any help/advice would be accepted with a thnks :p

cheers

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
You will probably be best off with an ex-mod GTX bivvi bag there pretty cheap and servicable, it think Bearclaw do them or The Outdoors have them too there about 35 to 45 quid.

zen

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2004
Dorset
I recently got a Grade 1 Used British Army Goretex Bivvy on ebay for £35.

If you are comfortable using ebay and know the potential pitfalls it's definitely worth a look.

:biggthump

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
British army bivi bags arent officially GORE-TEX - Gore-tex is a trade marked name and we all know how precious people can get over silly things like that!!!

Army Bivi bags are made from a waterproof vapour permiable material almost identical to gore-tex but not trade marked and as such half the price.

Hope that helped.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Hilleberg Bivanorak is my choice, but if you want a cheap one, why not using a Pertex Inlet? If you put it on the outside of a good synthetic sleeping bag the wind and most of the rain stays out. Cheap and best!

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I believe the British Army bivi bag has a great reputation for its robustness/performance and coupled with its price cannot be beaten for the money.

Ferrion

Aug 17, 2004
Hull, Yorkshire
Yeah i've been using a British Army Bivvi bag for years now, coupled with an Ex surplus Basha (or whatever you like to call them lol) and a British Sleeping bag, it's done superb service for me!

leon-1

Willie, one thing to note is that there are 2 brit army bags on the market, the new DPM ones and the older green ones, I have experience of both and despite the larger size of the new ones I find that the older type is actually better.

There have been a few threads on bivvi bags on here and it has been stated before by a few of the others.

Hooped bivvi bags are good, but you will have problems getting a good one cheap, if you want to be able to justify what you have spent the standard bag is probably better, otherwise shell out a little more and get yourself a one man tent (which may still be a bit cheaper than a hooped bivvi bag), which will give you a little more space even if it weighs that little bit more.

I hope this will be of use to you :biggthump

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
I've got a British Army one, second hand, bought from Silverman's some years ago for £40. I am very pleased with it and the quality is superb.

I don't particularly recommend Silverman's, but they are a quick way of finding military surplus because of the large range of things they have.

Their website shows everything with its price. Don't remember it offhand but it's easy to find on Google UK.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
willie said:
could i just ask something are they like 100 % w/proof cos i actually hav a hooped one i got off a person with out poles and tht dosent seem to be that water proof :-?
I would re-proof itwith one of the Gore - Tex proofing washes. Chances are that is all it needs, unless it has any obvious holes. Or sell it on Evilbay and you will probably get more than an army one will cost.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Lately I've been using an outdoor designs Bivi bag, one of the first to use the new Gore-Tex Exchange gas permeable fabric. Being gas permeable you can fully enclose it and not suffocate. Breathability is amazingly good, its also lighter and more compact than most other bivi bags. All this does not come cheap though I think the RRP is £150, making the British army bag still the best value for money.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE