Birch tapping: what do YOU do?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
I enjoyed the sap last year, but did nothing other than drink a couple of litres I'd tapped. I'm trying things on a larger scale this year and it got me thinking. There's lots I don't know about the subject and I bet opinions vary. So...

- What is your preferred recipe for your sap (be it beer, wine, syrup!)

- Do you tap the same tree each year or do you give them a rest year (or two years, or three?)

- Can you tap a tree with more than one hole at once without causing harm?

- What size hole do you use? I use 10mm as it snuggly fits the type of piping I have.

- Do you bevel cut the end of the tube? IF yes, how do you orientate the bevel?

- How deep do you drill? 2" seems to be a max for most people and I guess the sapwood is no deeper than that.

- How deep do you insert your tube? (I try to ensure the bevel is just within the bark so long as there is a seal and it is secure.)

- Do you leave it one night, or longer? How long is too long?

- If you're a plugger (like me :) ) do you use living wood from same tree, or another tree, or dead wood (seems a bit risky)?

- How do you store the sap, how long does it keep? I noticed some fridge-stored sap was cloudy after a week or so, last year. This year, I've used brewer's sterilising stuff for my containers and pipes (but let's face it, it's not a sterile process!)

- What rate of sap production qualifies for "sap rising"? Last year, I was getting more than three litres overnight. So far this weekend I've got 200ml per tree, yet a test nick dripped beautifully. Reckon I'm a bit early.

- Has anyone tried tapping on a large scale? If so, any tips on cheap, reuseable containers.

Please feel free to share your two pence on any or all of the above.

BTW, I bought a load of pipe from a homebrew supplier at 50p a metre for 20m. Not that cheap but he had it on the shelf for £2.99/metre! Don't get ripped off!

Cheers,

Xav

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE