birch sap !!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mike 01302

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2010
doncaster
i have just tapped a few birch trees for the first time. Is it just me or is anyone else thinking what is all the fuss about ?? i was expecting manna from the gods and all i got was this insipid clear fluid :(

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I just tapped me first birch and i really like the taste, like a very weak elderflower cordial! How much do you need to tap to make wine / beer????

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
As Jonathan says it is an acquired taste but having said that it does differ (like a cup of tea) between trees and at different times from the same tree even. I seem to remember having a similar "oh - it's OK I guess, tastes a bit woody...." reaction the first time I tried it.

The best way I can describe it now is that it taste's 'birchy' if that makes sense :dunno:

I like it! :D

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Once you have taped and collected it what do you have to do to it before you can get drinking? Also what type of Birch do you guys use as we have a few silver birch I have my eye on

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Once you have taped and collected it what do you have to do to it before you can get drinking? Also what type of Birch do you guys use as we have a few silver birch I have my eye on

filter it through some cloth - kitchen paper and go for it!

Silver birch are as good as any in my opinion ;)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
As Jonathan says it is an acquired taste but having said that it does differ (like a cup of tea) between trees and at different times from the same tree even. I seem to remember having a similar "oh - it's OK I guess, tastes a bit woody...." reaction the first time I tried it.

The best way I can describe it now is that it taste's 'birchy' if that makes sense :dunno:

I like it! :D

It's amazing the difference in flavours you get from tree to tree and from site to site, as well as the strength as the season creeps on.

After a few years you'll become a connoisseur and take a tasting glass with you :D

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Don't forget MAPLE, much more sweetness and taste. For those who don't find enough "taste" in birch sap... I always think about minerals and vitamins in it. ;) I tapped over 15 litres of sap this weekend and most of it is gone as everyone just couldn't stop drinking it. It must be the body that's crying for it at the moment.

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
Is it not too late for tapping now? I have got my first gallon well brewed now and racked to settle off. Might try the maples tonight then if its not

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
well I'm way north from UK, so it's different here. It was only last week that the tapping season began in Lithuania, so not much of advise from me ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE