Best Sleeping Arrangement

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hi,

What is everyones favourite way of sleeping outdoors, do you like a basha/bivvy combo, hammock or something else? Also why do you like it.

My main reason for posting this is beause I'm thinking of either getting a Hennessy Hammock or a hootchie, sleeping bag, therm-a-rest and Bivvy combo so any help on which everyone thinks is best would be helpful. Also for the hootchie combo is everything listed really necessary.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Hammock, just so comfy. I have a Hennessy Explorer and have used it down to -10. Tents are more practical in some situations from a privicy point of view but never as comfortable. When canoeing I usually have a tent as a backup but have so far never slept in it if I can get the hammock up.

To be honest I find sleeping in a hammock more comfortable than sleeping in a bed. Remember that you will still need a thermarest though.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I had written a similar reply to the above but deleted it instead of submitting it do. :(

The hammock is very comfortable and like wise I have used it in winter to great effect. It packs small and can up in matter of seconds.

Saying that I recently purchased a basha and bivvy bag and I have found this combo equally as good. It the help of nature it is as comfy as my bed at home but it seems the more bushcrafty (getting close to nature) compromise between a tent and the hammock without building a natural shelter. The hannessy still feels like a tent to me but alot lighter and easier to put up.

Go for both if you can afford it is my advice. :D

James

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
It is horses for courses. I like to walk reasonable distances in hill country and weight is important. My tent (the famous Argos) is 2kg. Some bivvi/basha combinations weigh as much, or more.

There have been many occasions when the midgies have been absolutely horrendous - I cannot emphasise enough how truly awful they can get. In these circumstances a tent is desirable if you want to stay sane.

I'd like a Hilleberg Akto tent at 1.5kg. If you leave the pegs at home (even I can whittle a peg!) it's 1.3kg.

Still thinking about a bivi bag/basha setup for outside the midge season.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Get the hennessy with the hex fly. You need the thermarest anyway so all you need is a Bivi Bag and you have both options. Hex fly , Bivi and thermarest or Hex Fly Hammock and thermarest. This is my lightweight solution in case there are no trees. I can set the fly using a walking pole or paddles from the canoe so trees are not required. If there are trees then the hammock gets used. for all the extra weight involved in carrying the Bivi it gives me peace of mind that I will have a dry night.

It would also be possable if using the Bivi on the ground to use the Hennessy as a sort of midge net. It would certainly keep them out but could be a pain to get in and out of but as Doc said up here they would drive you mad so it would be worth the effort.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I have and use both the bivi/basha combination and a hammock.

Usage depends on where I will be. I find both comfortable.

Get both if you can afford it otherwise the bivi/basha is probably the most flexible and if the weather is really nice the basha makes a good hammock.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I use a bivvy IN the hammock with a basha overhead. As I use a very light sleeping bag, I find the bivvy adds extra insulation, and total windproofing (and less stress if the rain water drips it's way in!) and it also means that if I can't find suitable trees, or the hammock breaks, then you can just use the bivvy. Bit belt'n'braces, but it gives the best of all worlds.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I spent nearly a year walking around Eastern Europe and the Middle East, sleeping out most nights in a buffalo (summer weight) sleeping bag wrapped in a an old Lowe Vector bivi bag. I'd sometimes supplement this by using my 58 pattern poncho and bungee cords to make a rain shelter above me. I started my trip with a thermarest mat but binned it after the third puncture and to this date prefer to use a foam mat.

Occasionally I wouldn't want folks to know that I was sleeping nearby and for 'stealth' camping you cannot beat a bivi bag, walk until its dark, find a spot, lie down and go to sleep.

Some years later when I started to get into the 'bushcraft' thing I was introduced to the Aussie hootchie, which was lighter than the 58 Poncho and provided a larger area for living under, I also learned how to use knots instead of bungee cords which shaved away a few grams (like Doc I walk long and far and need to consider weight more than most).

I tried my first hammock, A Hennesy ultra-light, during a month long trek in Turkey, at first I loved the thing, it was really comfy, kept the insect population at bay and with the snakeskins it could be up in minutes, however I did not like the feeling of being permanently closed in under the net and it was also just a little too high tech. I spent a night around the fire with two old goatherds and when they went to sleep wrapping themselves in their blankets it seemed a little out of place to start pulling all that high tech nylon out of my pack, so I slept on the ground in my sleeping bag and have never used a hammock since.

My Buffalo sleeping bag has been ‘retired’ and replaced by a Nanok one. If its wet I still sleep under an Aussie Hootchie but if it's dry I prefer the simplicity of the sleeping bag/bivi bag combination (I have recently given thermarest another chance and have occasionally used one inside my bivi bag).

That said... I still seem to spend a lot of time looking for two trees roughly the right distance apart with level ground and no rocks or stumps between them to set my hootchie up and while doing so I can’t help thinking that nature has provided many many more trees with bad ground in between which would better suit a hammock arrangement. So I may return to Hammocks again one day.

I had a chat with Mr. Mears about his preferred gear for sleeping out, and of course much of the time he would use his own hammock, however what I did find interesting was that he had several combinations of shelter that he could use depending on what he had planned and each combination would fit into the same type of bag, kept in the same spot and taking up the same space in his pack. So for some trips he’d have his hammock and hootchie, on others his hootchie and a bivie bag and occasionally has Hillberg Akto and he could change his choice in the last minutes before setting off without having to rearrange the rest of his gear.

K

KenC

I ususally take the Ray Mears hammock and Aus Hootchie combo, and IMHO it offers excellent flexibility (at a rather hefty price). Due to my rather nice down bag, I've never had to use a mat or bivvy bag. Just got a Hennessy Exped Asym and (without having used it properly yet), I'm slightly less impressed. Though more "integrated", it offers less flexibility and seems more of a pain to set up. That opinion may change though.

The most flexible solution is bivvy bag, hootch, hammock, mat. Not the lightest or the cheapest; but you can get both much cheaper than the "Ray Mears" way.

So, my recommendation would be to get a really decent hootch, a cheap foam mat (thermarests are great for tenting, but in my expereince incompatible with sparks from the fire), and a bivvy if you can afford it, then add a hammock as+when you want.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
If I'm alone and I can have a fire, I'll just pass out next to it.

If I can't have a fire, then it's basha/sleeping bag and a mat.

If there are bugs or I'm with Eloise, I take a tent and (depending on the weather) a thermarest basecamp XL or a double air bed. I also have a good double sleeping bag so it's a lot nicer for us.

My choices are for me purely practical and I have no favorite. I just go with what works best for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE