Bear on Ray

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I suppose Ray Mears must be asked in every interview he gives what he thinks of Bear Grylls and vice versa maybe he got pee'd off with saying no comment and decided to put the boot in. And why not Bear Grylls was saying that he was surviving in the wild when in reality he was getting McDonald's flown in by chopper when he was peckish and staying in 5 star hotels, he brought it upon himself.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
21 SAS TA, Not the real SAS, and of his three years claimed, 6 months was selection, 6 months or more was Army training skills, stuff squaddies do in their first couple of months. the rest of his time was weekends as and when and a couple of weeks a year.
Not like five months of hard slog that is the real SAS selction (not many make it) that they do after they've been in the regulars.

I dislike Bear, I've met him a couple of times and he is a showman. But under no circumstances should anyone belittle 21 or 23 SAS. What they do is
beyond most peoples understanding, and for what - diddly!!! I've been through more training and more tax-payers money than most people will ever dream of, and TA SAS is people call it, is worth more to the average person than the paid version, and the training is nothing like that of a normal squaddie.

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
I think the most proper way he could response is the way he did.

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. ~Mahatma Gandhi
Forgiveness is the sweetest revenge. ~Isaac Friedmann
Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future. ~Paul Boese
:p

The attention that the issue gets, is far more than it's worth. And the differences between mister Grills and Mears are largely discussed before in other threads.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
just to add my pennyworth- if you read Bears' books you will realise that this is a seriously committed christian. I,m not a god botherer myself but it seems to me that his response is in keeping with his beliefs. "turning the other cheek" Despite his public persona as lovable nutter. Mears is my personal favourite but you get a feeling that there is a commercial aspect to his status as a figurehead of a groundswell movement that his people probably feel the need to protect against newcomers. I'm sure he isn the kind of guy who would be shy to protect his own interests?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
just to add my pennyworth- if you read Bears' books you will realise that this is a seriously committed christian. I,m not a god botherer myself but it seems to me that his response is in keeping with his beliefs. "turning the other cheek" Despite his public persona as lovable nutter. Mears is my personal favourite but you get a feeling that there is a commercial aspect to his status as a figurehead of a groundswell movement that his people probably feel the need to protect against newcomers. I'm sure he isn the kind of guy who would be shy to protect his own interests?

I risk a chastisement here, but please dont insinuate that because someone is religious they follow a higher set of values. two thousand years of history says otherwise to an image of the meek turning the other cheek.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
21 SAS TA, Not the real SAS, and of his three years claimed, 6 months was selection, 6 months or more was Army training skills, stuff squaddies do in their first couple of months. the rest of his time was weekends as and when and a couple of weeks a year.
Not like five months of hard slog that is the real SAS selction (not many make it) that they do after they've been in the regulars.

I dislike Bear, I've met him a couple of times and he is a showman. But under no circumstances should anyone belittle 21 or 23 SAS. What they do is
beyond most peoples understanding, and for what - diddly!!! I've been through more training and more tax-payers money than most people will ever dream of, and TA SAS is people call it, is worth more to the average person than the paid version, and the training is nothing like that of a normal squaddie.

The role of the 23 SAS is to carry out long range reconnaissance patrols which is no walk in the park the troops within the sabre troops have to be very well trained and highly motivated most of the intial training is done within the uk mainly Breckin otterburn and the north of scotland they also train in jungle so the training is pretty comprehensive, they also have reg SAS within the units its part of the criteria for taking a senior rank within the corp. the end.:deal:

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Hi Folks,

Just my humble opinion, but shoulnd't we try to put this rumble aside instead of adding more oil to the fire....

I'm a big fan of Ray's and also don't approve of the risks bear takes, but I think everybody should make up their own minds and decide wich program to watch, thank god not everybody is the same. If everybody was the woods would be crawling with people trying a firebow on a sunday afternoon....

As a big fan of RM I was dissapointed with his comments on BG, especially stating he is the one to talk to when you want to learn to take care of yourself in the wild. He's right but he doesn't have to say it. Makes him look as his ego is to big.

So maybe we should stop talking about this, and just enjoy the show of your choice.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland

My thoughts exactly. The only people who can comment on the relative difficulties of UKSF selection are those who have done it. Those who have done it (and I mean the pucker selections, not something an ex-instructor has mocked up for a paying clientele, and not someone who has 'heard about it from a mate/brother/colleague/etc' or read 'Bravo Two Zero') are highly unlikely to identify themselves on this forum. :rolleyes:

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Everest was a piece of cake to i suppose.

Bernie
Ray travelled the length and breadth of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, on foot and unsupported I’m sure that was as much an achievement as walking up Everest.

I am not knocking Bear for the things he has done. I'm not even knocking him for the things he didn't do.

I just think that people are wrongly dividing in to camps, and are being sucked into the spin of headline writers. Bear was not alone when he walked up Everest, and he is no longer (was he ever) the youngest person to achieve the summit. (James Allen, climbed it at aged 22 in 1995 five years before Bear) . An American girl, Samantha Larson (18) did it in 2007, and a Nepalese girl (15) has also climbed it.

His record as the first person to cross the North Atlantic in a RIB has had to be changed to the first unassisted crossing, as that first record crossing , had already been done. He would have not even been able to claim even the first unassisted crossing, had one of the first crew not needed urgent medical attention.
His claim to a flyover of Everest has also been retracted, as he didn’t get closer to Everest than 2 miles, and as all his instruments “iced” up during the flight, and only started working on the return flight. There was no evidence, other photographs that could have been taken anywhere, the claimed altitude records have not been verified. The first two to fly over Everest in either microlight or hang glider were Meredith-Hardy Angelo D’Arrigo

Maybe thats true tadpole, but i never been in the SAS, I never climbed everest, I never raised fortunes for charity, I never done any of these fantastic things, so i maintain the humility not to sit at my little computer and ridicule those that have.

Since when is pointing out the simple facts ‘belittling’? The facts, the achievements, the records, should live and die by their own merits. There should be no need to spin the truth.
As for his claims, well as a devout Christian, he should know his bible, and the bible says
“But now ye glory in your vauntings: all such glorying is evil”
James 4:16

But thou, when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand does; so that thine alms may be in secret, and thy Father who sees in secret will render it to thee.
Matthew 6:3-4

I am not alone in the fact that I to, as have many many people on this site, have raised hundreds if not thousand of pounds for charity, and yes it does give you a great feeling, to know that through you own efforts you did such things. I rasied my money not by climbing Everest, but by running a marathon and half a dozen half marathons. The key words there are “through you own efforts”

Bear has done many great things, more than people can ever know, but it is overshadowed by the things he has claimed, or claimed on his behalf, but not done.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not like five months of hard slog that is the real SAS selection (not many make it) that they do after they've been in the regulars.

A friend of mine I've known for over 40 years did time in the paras and then several years with the SAS TA, he assures me, the TA SAS was just as physically demanding as the paras and he often spent more than a couple of weeks a year and many weekends, serving with them. Lets not knock these people, and for that matter, why not put the comparison between RM and BG to rest; they are two different types of showman and each has their own merits.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
My thoughts exactly. The only people who can comment on the relative difficulties of UKSF selection are those who have done it. Those who have done it (and I mean the pucker selections, not something an ex-instructor has mocked up for a paying clientele, and not someone who has 'heard about it from a mate/brother/colleague/etc' or read 'Bravo Two Zero') are highly unlikely to identify themselves on this forum. :rolleyes:

The people from your neck of the woods are more proffessional than the other lot though ;)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol

"what colour is the boat house at Hereford?":lmao:

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
How about a 'cook off' with Ray, Bear, Lofty, Mors, Bushtucker Man, Lars etc. where they have to make a 3 course meal out of bushtucker and serve it up to some judges...?

Ede

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE