BCUK Meetup - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i still am making squeaking nioses! :naughty:

on our way back we stopped of at the parents in law and i raided their farmland for bowdrill bits! :mischief: I've got smoke and black stuff, i'm now keeping my eye out for a dented stone and some of that "special recipie" axle grease was it? :wink:

next time no kids!
my little Benjamin was evil! :shock: i apologise if he bothered anyone! :oops:
next time i will actually be able to stay for a full session! and even spend important drinking time around the campfire! :biggthump

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I too have raided my folks place for fire drill resources. I always found fire by friction 10 mins hard work.... and sometimes a bit of a hit and miss affair.... now with DG's expert tuition and advice I have a little kit which is 100% and take about 2 mins from start to fire..... still can't drill as slowly as DG but I'm not at it like a maniace like I was... I don't need to work up a sweat :)

Ed

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Ed said:
I too have raided my folks place for fire drill resources. I always found fire by friction 10 mins hard work.... and sometimes a bit of a hit and miss affair.... now with DG's expert tuition and advice I have a little kit which is 100% and take about 2 mins from start to fire..... still can't drill as slowly as DG but I'm not at it like a maniace like I was... I don't need to work up a sweat :)

Ed

I notice he's selling some at the wilderness Gathering, do you know how much they are?

jakunen

Native
Selling a bow drill set?:?:

Unless you live in a concrete bunker, and therefore have no access to some pieces of wood, why not make your own?

Not only cheaper but you get the pleasure of knowing that the fire you've just made was made with a set you made...

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I wanted to get a look at one first so I could study it and see how one is made before my eyes and not in a book. I could also look at the woods used then go out to my local woods/forest look for that type of wood and make a set ( I don't have much tree identification knowledge, although i do have a book :eek:): ). And seeing as I'm not going to be able to get to a meetup anytime soon I wanted to know how much Dave Watson was selling his ones for at the Gathering. :biggthump

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I notice he's selling some at the wilderness Gathering, do you know how much they are?
Not a clue.... Do you know if he is selling the complete kit or just thewood to make your own?
I suggest go out and have a go yourself. Some woods are easier than others, willow and ivy being a good place to start for hearths. Make alot of sets out of different woods till you find one that you like and suits you. My current personal kit is an ivy board with either a hazel or bamboo spindle.

:)
Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I'm just wondering how you shape the two ends with it being a hollow wood and knowing how the stuff can splinter?
A drawing pin (or some other tack) in the top, but I'm going to replace this with a bone insert....., and the bottom is cut just after a knuckle so it can be rounded off slightly. Not had one splinter yet..... its only been a week or so ;-) If you worried about it being hollow at the bottom just fill it with a small wooden peg..... works for me.

Ed

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Ed said:
Not a clue.... Do you know if he is selling the complete kit or just thewood to make your own?
I suggest go out and have a go yourself. Some woods are easier than others, willow and ivy being a good place to start for hearths. Make alot of sets out of different woods till you find one that you like and suits you. My current personal kit is an ivy board with either a hazel or bamboo spindle.

:)
Ed

When i said if was Drew Goddard making them I actually ment Dave Watson, My mistake. Ed, it says on the Trade Stands page of www.wildernessgathering.co.uk this:

WOODLAND SURVIVAL CRAFTS
Dave Watsons' stall selling lots of Bushcraft stuff including Wooden whistles and Friction firelighting kits.

Ok perhaps i will try and make one first, how do you have your end? I was handling a Hadza Bushmen drill not too long ago and it was like the end of a snooker cue. Works quite well from what I saw.

jakunen

Native
Young Bushman said:
Ok perhaps i will try and make one first, how do you have your end? I was handling a Hadza Bushmen drill not too long ago and it was like the end of a snooker cue. Works quite well from what I saw.
Bit personal there m'lado!:naughty:

The end that goes into the bearing block wants to be pretty sharply pointed. The hearth end fairly shallow.
You want a LOT of friction on the hearth but as little as possible in the bearing block.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, I need to find the time to put some up. I was supposed to pick some up from people at the gathering but I can't get there so that's not going to happen :cry:

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
...or did it? :D

I've successfully fobbed off the responsibility of posting more pics by giving Tony a CD of them all ;) Including those unpleasant yellow beetles some of us saw on the Sunday.

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
oh Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww .. why did you have to remind me ?? ... yuck :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

it was like a scene from "Iniana Jones and the Carling Black Label Can of Doom"!!!!!!!

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
Hi guys, only just got online again- just wanted to say a huge thanks to Tony for organising a fantastic meet up and everyone else who ran sessions.
Blue Sky, Jim.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Simon said:
oh Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww .. why did you have to remind me ?? ... yuck :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Hope it wasn't one of those that bit me during the Saturday night. Picked up a nice itchy bite that took most of a week to go down. Maybe best off not knowing :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE