BCUK Fire Steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
I got a fire steel from here some time ago and was not overly happy with it when it turned up, it was uncomfirtable to hold and although it throws a spark they are very poor weak sparks but i never had anything to compare it with; until this weekend when Bam brought his along to a Clan meet. His threw a shower of hot bright sparks with every strike just how i expected a steel would.

I have now thrown mine away as it is next to usless and am looking for one that works as it should.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
leon-1 said:
Adi, out of curiosity what was the make of the firesteel that Bam was using????

Sorry mate he cant remember the site he got it from but it was from the US.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Lifthasir said:
I bought a new one called Magfire http://www.magfire.com/. £6-95. I'm quite
impressed. Had a 'traditional' Army one before which was a bit pathetic in
comparison. It's so good, I feel a bit of a cheat using it.

I am talking about a propper steel not a strike a light

leon-1

Lifthasir said:
I bought a new one called Magfire http://www.magfire.com/. £6-95. I'm quite
impressed. Had a 'traditional' Army one before which was a bit pathetic in
comparison. It's so good, I feel a bit of a cheat using it.

That's interesting as the magfire and the scout model (lite my fire) are almost identical, I have both and they work the same. I also have a batch bought from Brisa (they are Austrian IIRC) with no handles and they behave the same as well.

I also have the Swedish issue firesteel, the light my fire firesteel and the fireball firesteel, which to all intents and purposes are the same thing with a slightly different handle placed on them (or in the case of the fireball just a hole drilled in it).

The only major difference that I have come across on any of these happens when I change the type of knife that I am using due to how square the spine is.

leon-1

Adi Fiddler said:
Sorry mate he cant remember the site he got it from but it was from the US.

Thanks Adi, I take it you are talking about the traditional steel and not a firesteel.:)

Wayne said:
Leon i think Bam was using the fire steel made by Jason.

Bam will be along later to confirm.

Although my BCUK steel worked ok.

i now use one i made myself.

Thanks Wayne, I have one of these myself and was using it over the weekend, good to keep the practice going:)

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Just out of curiosity Adi, what were you using to strike the fire steel with? I've tried several now and most of the perform similar, the biggest difference I've found has been the striker. The back edge of the saw on the Leatherman Wave gives a fantastic shower.

Just read the thread again, are you talking about a firesteel or a flint and steel?

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I've never used a traditional flint and steel before this weekend and have to say I was most impressed at how efficent Bam's steel was at producing sparks off the flint.

Will have to keep my eye open for one.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Adi Fiddler said:
I got a fire steel from here some time ago and was not overly happy with it when it turned up, it was uncomfirtable to hold and although it throws a spark they are very poor weak sparks but i never had anything to compare it with; until this weekend when Bam brought his along to a Clan meet. His threw a shower of hot bright sparks with every strike just how i expected a steel would.

I have now thrown mine away as it is next to usless and am looking for one that works as it should.

I belive that Adi fiddler is refering to a 'strike a light' (flint and steel) rather than a 'fire steel'

a 'steel' designed to be struck with flint (aka strike a light):
sg_fire_striker.jpg

as opposed to a 'firesteel' (aka ferrocium rod)
firesteel.jpg

as far as i am aware BCUK has never sold firestels on the website, but did at one time sell some 'flint and steel' made by espy, is this what you are refering to Adi Fiddler?

if so would you like me to change the title of this thread to avoid confusion?

if you are unhappy with the flint and steel I am sure you can return it for a full refund or replacment

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi Adi,

Awfully sorry to hear that the steel from the flint and steel you were sent doesn't live up to expectations. I'm happy to refund you or replace the steel with a Firesteel that I have in stock at the moment, feel free to PM me.

Once again, sorry for the disappointment and I hope this can be rectified as soon as possible.

:D
Tone

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE