Bayley knives?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
So we all know that the bayley knife is ridiculously overpriced at £400. I was wondering if anybody had made their own, and how much it cost them to make. I know that red scorpion six do a 'clone' - but they are apparently naf compared to the real thing.

Interested to hear your thoughts,
Ph34r

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
So we all know that the bayley knife is ridiculously overpriced at £400. I was wondering if anybody had made their own, and how much it cost them to make. I know that red scorpion six do a 'clone' - but they are apparently naf compared to the real thing.

Interested to hear your thoughts,
Ph34r

I know someone who aproached Stu Mitchell and a couple of other makers on BB and their prices were higher than Rob Bayleys. They just couldn't do it for the same or lower price due to the tolerences in fitting and the shape. Rob himself even machines the bolts rather than buying in. There is a guy in China knocking out almost perfect fakes in AUS 8 but due to using Bears signature has had a NCD slapped on him. He will no doubt be selling them again soo without Bears moniker etched into the blade.

RedScorpSix's and Martinknivess are almost lookalikeys, but are leagues apart in terms of engineering and feel to the original.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
I did not know that martin did one. Does rob make everything by himself, or does he have other makers working for him? I will be having a look at the martin one.

EDIT: have looked at the martin ones. They retail for £150 less, but don't really have the same style serrations etc. What is it about the bayley that made them so good? The robustness of the blade? or just the label being associated with bear grylls?

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I did not know that martin did one. Does rob make everything by himself, or does he have other makers working for him? I will be having a look at the martin one.

EDIT: have looked at the martin ones. They retail for £150 less, but don't really have the same style serrations etc. What is it about the bayley that made them so good? The robustness of the blade? or just the label being associated with bear grylls?

Rob makes them all himself, including fittings and sheaths, hence the huge wait.

You really have to check one out to see why they are so good. It isn't the Bear name as he was making them way before he made the Bear model, Bear just made the name more public, in fact may have done Bayley more damage than good with the association. He ended that last year, but still amkes the models without Bears name on them. Everything about them is 100% perfect, they are very robust, ergonomic and when you hold one you can just feel the quality. They are engineerd to very tight tolerences as you'd expect as Rob Bayley was an engineer before coming a knifemaker.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
He does have other models and makes custom designs too, alot of teh Bear S4 customers are in the US. The one I like is the Compact Raven.

raven_04.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's an indent, your forefinger and index finger lock in there naturally for extra grip., and your ring and little finger lock in when choking up on the blade. Your thumb locks in when using the chestlever too. I thought it would be uncomfortable, but it is a useful little dent and adds to the usability of the knives.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
It's an indent, your forefinger and index finger lock in there naturally for extra grip., and your ring and little finger lock in when choking up on the blade. Your thumb locks in when using the chestlever too. I thought it would be uncomfortable, but it is a useful little dent and adds to the usability of the knives.

You can also hide 5 - 10 mexicans in there!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE