bad news

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi all 5 weeks ago my dad fell out of bed in his care home and broke his hip, he had alziemers which didnt help matters,unfortunatly he had gone down hill from then and today he finally passed away, my sisters were very close to him and will miss him dearly. as for me i see it a final release for a man who had served in the forces for 22yrs in such places as malaya singapore borneo in the 60s during the uprisings and unrest at that time. he also served in germany on 2 occasions,but the last 20 yrs he had suffered the onset of alziemers in the end he recognized no one but my eldest sister who to her credit looked after dad since our mother died some 10 yrs earlier i hope now he can rest in peace with the dignity he deserved i wil remember the days we used to go fishing and the like, regards dave

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
me to sorry , ive recently lossed my nan and my mother in law , my nan long illness and two weeks after that my mother in law suddenley, so i know what your going through, he is in peice now reunited with your mum.

Brian.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sincere condolances to you and your family Dave.

I think you are being very wise in remembering him as he would have liked to be.

Kindest regards,
Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes. We are always here for you.

My Dads still alive, but he has outlived two wives, hes very lonley now, and I do for him what I can.

Hopefully one day he will recover and go dating...hes still got time, though at the moment he sometimes feels as if he hasnt

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I can understand and offer my sympathy. My mother finally succumbed, almost a year ago, after a steady continuous decline with Alzheimer's over the past ten years, until she recognised nobody and could do nothing for herself. It was a great release for us when she finally went, and I've told my children that if I ever get towards that state, take me up to the highlands in the winter and leave me without a coat.

My advice is remember, but get on with your own lives - I'm sure that is what most parents would want their children to do.

Geoff

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I'm very sorry for your loss Dave. My thoughts are with you & your family. My old Mum died around this time last year from an alziemers related illness. It's hard to bear the loss of someone close to you, but to be free of alziemers is, perhaps, a blessing. I find that when I now think of my Mum I see her happy & healthy in my mind's eye and not as she was in her last years. I hope that one day that is how you'll be able to remember you Dad. That doesn't soften the blow now though.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Hi Dave, I am very sorry to hear of your loss.
We had our 'Annus horrablis' Last year with five deaths in the family (My mum, Wifes dad both cancer, uncle, etc etc) as well as mother in law having a bad car crash.
It is very hard sometimes to 'not' think about the death. But thinking about how they were at there best is what I try to do.
Its one year to the day that my mum died and I try to celibrate her life not her death.
So every since my dad died (ten years ago).
On his birthday I have a drink and drink to 'his life'

I will be doing the same with the others.
Alan

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Very sad Dave, but I'm sure the chap is out fishing even as I type this. Alziemers is a cruel illness often affecting family and loved ones more than the person; my thoughts are with you.

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
I too feel for you and yours, but if it helps...
Old soldiers never do die nor fade away. Remember him and his gift of life to you and smile away. His legacy is in all of yours' hearts and let your memories of him be as the vital and loving father he was.
I learned this after loosing my daughter some years ago and now I can smile and remember her.

Not earth shattering advice but something not to be learned the hard way.

Remember him well
Acorn

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
I'm very sorry for your loss, but understand that you and the family could welcome the release. Alzheimers is such a cruel condition for the individual and those close to them. You lose someone by degrees with Alzheimers and dementia.
Remember him as he was, and be sure that deep inside he always was the man he used to be. Be sure to get sometime to mourn in the next few busy days and weeks. You will never get this time back.

Peaks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE