Back into spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Funny how things get into your head all of a sudden :dunno: Spoons it is for now.
Just finished this Rhododendron bent branch eating spoon, and had a go at some decoration.

Looking forward to making many more.

Addo :)

• Love
Reactions: Brizzlebush

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Now that is outstandingly GOOD, interesting form, good quality finish Top job:)
Look forward to seeing more of your work

PS know what you mean about ideas getting in youe head. A bloke said to me do you want an entire copper beech tree, well naturally of course I said how much do you want? he said free of charge. I initially thought cut and split for the log pile, but when earlier this week I saw the axes and adze and knives which have been packed away the best part of 9 months, I thought hmmm, maybe a bit of spoon carving is in order....:)
cheers Jonathan

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's outrageously good work, everything about it looks right; very nice indeed, thanks for posting it....................atb mac

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers fellas, glad you like it.

Johnathan, I like the old Copper Beech, learnt how to climb in one.
Cant fault a whole one for free! Dust off them there tools and crack on, but don't forget the fire :) I'm always saving bits from the firewood pile, to many though ;)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
By my hairy viking kneecaps, that's a fine spoon.

Cheers,
Leif

Haha, cheers!

That's a lovely bit of carving, but isn't rhododendron poisonous?

Thanks.

Not as far as I know, this is interesting research http://traditionalskills.wordpress.com/2013/01/26/rhododendron-wood-analysis-safe-or-not/
I base toxicity on Yew which is supposed to be one of the worst. Ive heard many respected people say that even yew is safe as a utensil due to the simple fact that you have to physically eat the spoon to get a low dose of poison, as in the article above.
With drying and washing, the dose is reduced to almost nil, even if you eat the wood.
Rhododendrons reputation probably also comes more from the way it changes the soil to its liking by acidification and other chemical influences, so that it can dominate over other plants.
I might think twice before standing next to a large bonfire of the stuff though :)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks Hamish. Its a kind of mix of narrow chip carving and kolrosing. Same idea though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE