B&M Bargains Rice bag thingies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Stevie... had a thought... my lad buys packets of noodles when we're at the supermarket, they're about 20p a pack. Plain noodles with a flavouring pack in them... one of the flavours being prawn.

If you prefer the rice, why not boil in the bag rice (about £1.20 for a 4 pack) and 4 packs of noodles with the flavourings. Mix the flavouring into the rice, you have your prawn flavoured rice for 50p a throw.

Just an idea.

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
Stevie... had a thought... my lad buys packets of noodles when we're at the supermarket, they're about 20p a pack. Plain noodles with a flavouring pack in them... one of the flavours being prawn.

If you prefer the rice, why not boil in the bag rice (about £1.20 for a 4 pack) and 4 packs of noodles with the flavourings. Mix the flavouring into the rice, you have your prawn flavoured rice for 50p a throw.

Just an idea.

..........Or get the boil in the bag rice and use some of this;

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=263413777

It's really delicious, (fairly hot) and a teaspoon full would be enough to flavour the rice.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
..........Or get the boil in the bag rice and use some of this;

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=263413777

It's really delicious, (fairly hot) and a teaspoon full would be enough to flavour the rice.

Just an idea.
Yeah, there are lots of different options i could use.

I liked these dehydrated rice thingies as i could boil some eggs, pour water into rice bag and make a brew at the same time..lol The thing with boil in the bag rice is the time it takes..20+ mins or so...in 5 minutes i could have all three things mentioned above done and dusted.

Also, i tend to travel light so dont really have a big pot with me, just a small SS home made billy. most of my cooking is either done on a stick or in the embers. Two days of living off a beach, small pieces of burnt wood and ash in your food doesn't really bother you that much.

But cheers for the other options...

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Some more options.. and cheaper than B&M bargains, more flavours....

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

No shortage of options by the look of it :)

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
everyone requires a pot...I want to be able to just add water, sit back for a few minutes or make a brew, open the pack and bobs your uncle. I wont be taking pots and pans. just a water boiling container that i dont wish to use for anything else. trying to keep everything to a minimum.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
The rice ones might work in the packet... they have like a foil interior. Wish I'd bought one now to test... will grab one next time I'm there and have a pop at it.

I know what you're after now though. Misunderstood before.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Coulscous! Put couscous in bowl/mug/sliver foil envelope boil water on jetboil or similar. Add water to couscous. Think lovely thoughts, or not, fluff couscous add anything you like, veg, meat, shelled boiled eggs. Mix with fork, scoff. Done. I have a list of things I make with the jetboil and a single bowl... Couscous, instant rice vermicelli noodles, quinoa, tabbouleh, konjac rice, noodles or pasta, smash, and various dehydrated veg such as onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, there are also packs of instant lentils you can chuck in as well as tins of fish, meat, veg. I've successfully cooked mini corn, pod peas, asparagus, long beans, carrot batons and pepper strips in a jetboil too... And boiled eggs. Without screwing up the cannister.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
everyone requires a pot...I want to be able to just add water, sit back for a few minutes or make a brew, open the pack and bobs your uncle. I wont be taking pots and pans. just a water boiling container that i dont wish to use for anything else. trying to keep everything to a minimum.
I understand what you are saying, no messy cooking eating washing up afterwards. I got addicted to all the mugshots trying to choose the best for overnights. I am partial to Kibuto noodles for their taste.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Home bargins at the moment have meatballs and spagbol in tear off ready to eat packets, they aslo sometimes have asian pudding rice call jeera. We often eat them cold for overnighters, my old man calls it hard rations, taste good to me.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Home bargins at the moment have meatballs and spagbol in tear off ready to eat packets, they aslo sometimes have asian pudding rice call jeera. We often eat them cold for overnighters, my old man calls it hard rations, taste good to me.
I wonder if you could place the bag in boiling water just enough to heat through without the bag melting...or maybe i could use a tupperware dish of some sort..?

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
There is a weird no flame heat system too which basically looks like a Tupperware box - I wonder if that might be useful?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I wonder if you could place the bag in boiling water just enough to heat through without the bag melting...or maybe i could use a tupperware dish of some sort..?

The jeera can be boiled in the bag. Well warmed at least. One packet serves 2 campers or 1 hill walkers portion. The hotpots are good cold as well, very filling with plenty of protein. They sometimes do a range of very good veggie curries in boil in the bag. The chickpea curry works well cold.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I detract from OP's original question, but may be of interest to someone.

Aldi, Bilash rice, was in a hurry so did not read pack details properly, I think you pour bag contents into 400ml of of boiling water, and the rice absorbs the water and is ready to eat, 250 grams in pack and 59p.

I only seen 3 types Pilau, egg fried rice flavor and plain basmati, I will give the Pilau a try as I'm not at all keen on basmati rice, but each to their own, would not be surprised if they are not all basmati though.

Anyone seen this sort of thing in a boil in the bag version ? Thai Jasmine Scented rice, my favourite.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE