B&M Bargains Rice bag thingies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Last Year B&M Bargains were selling little bags of prawn flavoured Rice, Just add water and re-seal bag for a few minutes. They dont sell them anymore for some reason, dont know why as i couldn't get my hands on enough of them and they never seemed to stay on the shelves for very long.
They were very reasonably priced if i remember correctly, around 60p a unit. I took 20 or so with me camping last year, very lightweight and compact, they even came with a little plastic spoon inside. does anyone here remember them.?

Does anyone know of a alternative replacement.?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Pot Noodle? :lmao:

You can buy boil in the bags, cheap enough... but there is no flavour to them... its just plain rice. But, quick trip to Aldi and you could grab some salmon strips... cook it, break apart and mix with a bag of rice... delicious.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Pot Noodle? :lmao:

You can buy boil in the bags, cheap enough... but there is no flavour to them... its just plain rice. But, quick trip to Aldi and you could grab some salmon strips... cook it, break apart and mix with a bag of rice... delicious.
20 pot noodles takes up waaaay to much space and getting rid of the plastic in your fire is not ideal, These rice thingies were awesome, mild fishy flavour to them and when done would take up very little space until i found a bin., I was living off the beach at the time so the rice complemented the sea food...I like my sea fish taste, what can i say.. :lmao:

Those were great!
I'd tried a pack in Alberta and loved the stuff. I actually checked out the factory (online) which produces them in Thailand and found out that they had high standards - since I'm a little wary of stuff produced far away.. I bought out the total inventory of the store to bring back to BC, but failed to find any supply here.
If I remember correctly, the huge appeal other than the taste, was that unlike pot noodles the salt content was reasonable for a person on a low sodium diet.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Have you tried mug shots? I generally take a few kinds they have rice, pasta, noodles etc. They're about 50p and genuinely nice. Only seen Mexican and Thai curry in the rice ones but probably do more. Tesco and asda definitely do them and I'm pretty certain I've seen them in aldi odd time too. I love the Mac and cheese one with a few slices of chorizo in. Quick easy and tasty

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
That's it, I'm on a mission to find these things, the Factory who produce them must still exist. I'll go to another B&M's today and ask the staff as i'm sure they would have bought them also they were that good.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Mugshots are 3 for £1 in B&M and poundland etc, and come in chicken as well
pack up quite small as well
Trying to stay away from the high salt content in those mug shots and the like...

These rice things were perfect, well, perfect for me anyway. A nice mellow prawn flavoured rice and just enough in each bag to keep you going when you added in your sea food, Mussel's Cockles, razor clams,etc. salt was at a minimum. i never got a chance to have a look for them at another store today, but it's on my to-do list.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Found the spoon, it has a Marking on it, cant make out what it is though, looks like a interlinked R and C or P and R or C...who knows. I'll find them eventually...something tells me they said Prawn flavoured Jasmine rice.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland

That's the Badgers alright, but they certainly weren't £1.45, 60p max, might even have been cheaper...Nice find.

NRF298lg_zpsrubgieve.jpg

Seems like other Bushy people have the same tastes as myself... I'm gonna have to source these, but not at over double the price. I'm pretty sure the ones i had were the Thai green curry with shrimp flavoured ones.
http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11693

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE