Are you ready?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh gods no...if I'm the last survivor does that mean I get a diet of endless dry B. Matthews "mystery meat" (warning contains no Turkey), Lidl faux Baileys and Aldi "After Seven" chocolate mint fondants that are tooth itchingly sweet?

Every store I break into will be playing "So here it is Merry Xmas" on endless loop as I tour the deserted aisles......except Tesco who will alreayt have the freaking Easter Eggs in?

I'm going to check if its really the end of the world on the 21st. If bloody DFS have a sale on I'll know everything is normal.

I had to think what you meant about B Matthews :rolleyes:
It seems to be very popular. Is it not just like McDonald's stuff, but to be cooked at home ?

Someone said that the supermarket Bailey's was nice drizzled over ice cream :dunno: Bit too sweet and creamy for my taste though.

What have you got agin the German supermarkets ? I like their fruit and veg :) and their big jars of olives :) and they sell local produce too.
Hear ? I meant to comment on this; Lidl's are apparantly under fire for 'heartlessly' selling reindeer steaks, before Christmas :rolleyes:
Carnivore that you are, I thought you'd approve :)
How come Ikea can do it and no one complains there though ? :dunno:

The endless mindnumbing, "so here it is, Merry Christmas", really grates on me. I feel heart sorry for those working in shops who have to listen to it day in day out for weeks on end :sigh: Merry Christmas, right enough :(

Don't know about the rest of you, but at this time of year my pantry is stuffed anyway. It's my default setting for late Autumn/ Winter after all the Summer produce has been dealt with. Besides, after the last couple of Winters, I'd rather not have to shop when the roads and paths become like ice rinks.

cheers,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't mind the German spuermarkets - except when elderley neighbour ladies purchase "seasonal delights".

I was once presented with a glass of cheap arsed fake creme de menthe.

It was a pint.

and it was warm.

I still wake screaming in the night.

As for the late B. Matthews (may he be roasted in his own juices), when the wind is from the North East I can smell his damn turkey sheds. From a quarter of a mile away (no joke). I wouldn't eat that factory farmed filth if I still had a live rat to scoff. Or a two week dead one that drowned in a sewer come to that.

Quite happy to chow down on Rudolph though :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh that would scunner you of it for life :cringe:

Ah, I kind of feel the same way about the ScotchFrost factory about a km away from us. It's only when the wind is in one, thankfully rare, position, but the whiff of stale frying is absolutely stomach churningly vile when walking down the main road.
How can they make food smell so bad ? :dunno:

It did seem to be one of those, "Think of the children!", complaints, I thought. No real reasoning thought behind it.

M

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Groan.
You lot are nice and all but there's some hippy, yoghurt weaver, conspiracy tosh that gets bandied about every once in a while.

I get this image of people listening to whale music whilst wearing a tin foil hat.

Funny thing is - it sound so much better with a tin hat on ....

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
can I just point out that all comets have 2 tails when they approach the Sun? one made of matter blown off them by solar radiation and another left in their wake? not rare at all

we're talking about a race of people (mayans) who used base 20 for all of their calculations and made everything fit neatly, including their astronomical calculations, their perception of time etc (The Maya name for a day was k'in. Twenty k'ins are known as a winla or uinal. Eighteen winals make 1 tun. Twenty tuns are a k'atun and twenty k'atuns make a b'ak'tun.) lot of 20's there. This means that they didn't measure anything, they just said 20 of everything and made it fit (there are only 360 days in the Mayan calendar, whereas there are definitely 365.25 days in a solar year. we make this fit by adding a day every 4 years). so these people altered time, space, nature etc to fit the number of wiggly appendages they had.

I also will not take advice on what date it is from people who sacrificed each other to keep 'the gods' happy, call me old fashioned if you will.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
can I just point out that all comets have 2 tails when they approach the Sun? one made of matter blown off them by solar radiation and another left in their wake? not rare at all

Surely not

As they approach the sun their wake is behind them, as is the matter pushed off by solar wind.

Having orbited the sun, their wake would be behind them, but the solar wind would push matter in front of them....no?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....This means that they didn't measure anything, they just said 20 of everything and made it fit (there are only 360 days in the Mayan calendar, whereas there are definitely 365.25 days in a solar year.....we make this fit by adding a day every 4 years)......

Actually 365.25 isn't completely accurate either. There's 365 days, 11 hours, and I forget exactly how many minutes in a solar year. Therefore our 1 day correction every four years is an overcorrection and has to be skipped every so often (IIRC it's about once a century that we skip leap year) And even that doesn't put us totally accurate.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
sorry didnt write that very well. it will move both ways depending on trajectory to or from the sun but when the solar wind weakens enough the comet will effectively revert back to tail behind. eventualy on head back out into deep space the tail disappears as the comet cools.

plenty on wiki to read. im not an expert but its stuff that interests me

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep I get it happens both ways - what I meant was the more the comet approaches a collision course with the sun, the less difference between solar wind and wake?

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
yes definitely, in fact if the comet passed through the coronal mass ejection the tail can be disconnected completely. bit like going to the comet car wash (technical boffin term :D)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE