Are hammockers the new vegetarians?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Homo sapiens sapiens have canines so small that dentists sometimes remove them to allow enough room for molars not to be crowded. It can go unnoticed since they are frequently the same size as the incisors and milk teeth.
In other words a redundancy from our very early ancestors.....the declining size can be seen in the dentition of humanoids from before the advent of cooking.

cheers,
M

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Homo sapiens sapiens have canines so small that dentists sometimes remove them to allow enough room for molars not to be crowded. It can go unnoticed since they are frequently the same size as the incisors and milk teeth.
In other words a redundancy from our very early ancestors.....the declining size can be seen in the dentition of humanoids from before the advent of cooking.

cheers,
M

My boys are both vampires... very pronounced canines, but then I can wiggle my ears and I'm close to proto human.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a very interesting book called, "Catching Fire, how cooking made us human". We need to kickstart the book passaround again :)

Humanity is so changed from the great apes that, well does Tyson count ? :dunno: that using our teeth to catch food just isn't a skill set. No, Tyson doesn't count, he used his for assault, not dinner.

Weird set of teeth we have really.
They don't continue to replace themselves like sharks, nor do the incisors grow like rabbits, the canines can't catch anything or rip anything, and the molars don't shred meat effectively or grind silica rich plant material either.

Yet they bite chunks out of food, and they do chew soft stuff.
Our throats are narrow and our stomachs are small. We don't have the bowels of a carnivore nor do we have the extra bits associated with the ruminants, nor do we re-eat our own waste products to get a second chance at getting nourishment from them.

Basically we cherry pick the best of food and process it to make it both palatable and digestible. So much so that even humans without teeth manage quite well.

cheers,
Toddy

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
pre molars( your 4s or 5s) are the teeth that will be removed to make space if needed, your canines guide your bite, they have the longest roots of all your teeth, they hold what your incisors cut:).

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
pre molars( your 4s or 5s) are the teeth that will be removed to make space if needed, your canines guide your bite, they have the longest roots of all your teeth, they hold what your incisors cut:).

and how do you know all this?....

Nance!? is that you??....hahahaha

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Are you saying you know of idiots who think their canines mean something other than a means to grab food with your face?

It's hard giving CPR in a Hammock so oldies should stick to ground dwelling.

The only veggies who I respect are those who have had their incisors extracted as a sign of commitment.

Incisors (from Latin incidere, "to cut") are the first four front teeth present in heterodont mammals.

;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know of two local children (now adults) who had the canine tooth removed for the reasons I described. Their mothers were surprised but the dentists insisted that it was by far the easiest and neatest option and would cause no trouble in the long run.
Tbh, seeing them talk and smile, I don't even notice that they don't have those incisors.

cheers,
Toddy

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
meat eating is good for animals.

there'd be more polar bears around if people wanted them for breakfast

toddy do you eat fish or shellfish?

matt

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Bushcraft happens mostly in the woods for me so I usually go tarp and bivvy. Although I did get some bits to do up my hammock (DD travel) with after some unsuccesful (read wet :D) nights in it.

If im going wild camping in the dales/moors i take a tent, horses for courses and all that.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
One of the reasons I don't use a hammock is that I feel i would be betraying evolution. It took my ancestors hundreds of thousands of years to come down out of the trees, and they originally only went there to sleep because of the night dangers on the ground anyway. Now in the 21st century the woods and spinneys of this fair land are festooned with strange chrysalis type objects each with it's little fabric roof, from which during the hours of darkness wierd snorting noises issue. Boots and items of apparel hang beneath like some strange Goretex Spanish Moss swaying gently in the breeze.

The ancients would be amazed as the only nocturnal dangers at ground level now are the odd psycopathic Hedgehog and the occasional ill tempered Rabbit unable to sleep because his 249 kids are playing up in the bury. At daylight the Chrysalises open and the contents emerge to either set fire to meat or begin stripping the leaves off nearby bushes to munch.
This all leaves an elderly tent dweller very puzzled..:) :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
meat eating is good for animals.

there'd be more polar bears around if people wanted them for breakfast

toddy do you eat fish or shellfish?

matt

No I don't.
For the life of me I have no idea how anyone ever thought that that swimming shiny thing would be good to eat :confused: as for lobster, crabs, octopus....the whole concept leaves me totally bemused and appalled.
But then, I wonder who the hang ever thought of eating a cow's guts stuffed with cooked blood :rolleyes: serving it with brined and smoked slices of fried pig's hin' end and unfertilised avian ova. :dunno:

Different mindset entirely about food.
Rationally I know that meat is good food, very palatable to many people, but I smell it cooking and it has as much appeal as passing an incinerator and thinking the smell edible. Total appetite loss usually.

I realise that there are a tremendous number of conscience vegetarians, who do what comes naturally to me and many others, with a great deal of sustained effort, but we're far from starving :) and our diets are rich, tasty and filling and can be achieved with far fewer acerages than animals reared for meat.

Another book worth reading is Diet for a small planet :D

cheers,
Toddy

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
One of the reasons I don't use a hammock is that I feel i would be betraying evolution. It took my ancestors hundreds of thousands of years to come down out of the trees,
not sure evolution told dozens if not hundreds of ethnic groups and tribes, who have used them for millennia before we had beds, tent or tarps. (probably before vegetarians too). infact id say we would argue, in my opinion anyway. if we were to not utilize what ever we have to make our lives more pleasant that would be a bigger betrayal of evolution!. ( no problems with veggies either, the missus is a eat nothing that ever had a face kinda weirdo.)

Last edited:

forestwalker

No I don't.
For the life of me I have no idea how anyone ever thought that that swimming shiny thing would be good to eat :confused: as for lobster, crabs, octopus....the whole concept leaves me totally bemused and appalled.
But then, I wonder who the hang ever thought of eating a cow's guts stuffed with cooked blood :rolleyes: serving it with brined and smoked slices of fried pig's hin' end and unfertilised avian ova. :dunno:

Watch it, or I will dig up the interesting recipies. Sheeps stomach, stuffed with a mixture of sheeps blood, rye flour and lichen. Boiled uterus...
Wht amazes and irritates me is that people won't eat all opf the animal. And if the pet food industry did not use the rest I'd be terribly upset.

I realise that there are a tremendous number of conscience vegetarians, who do what comes naturally to me and many others, with a great deal of sustained effort, but we're far from starving :) and our diets are rich, tasty and filling and can be achieved with far fewer acerages than animals reared for meat.

The counter argument is that not all land that is suitable for grazing is suitable for growing crops. I agree with you on principle, though, even if I happily eat all kinds of animal bits. Part of the greenhouse effect is cow farts and burps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE