Touch the Dragon.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
I wasn't at all sure what my mate meant when he said, 'Touch the Dragon' but it became clear later. I'm sure most people on the forum know just how changeable the weather in the Brecon Beacons can be at any time of the year, so I took the appropriate kit for the walk, just in case I developed a leg problem or had a stumble and got stranded overnight. My slightly adapted LK 35 did the trick, I've added a surplus hip belt and a couple of Swedish Army pouches and with 2 litres of water, shelter, warm kit etc: it only came to 12.5 Kilos (27 lb ish ? )

From the valley campsite it was an 8 mile round trip, and only to about 1200 feet ( Pen y Fan is 2,900 ) but even if I had been fit enough the Fan was not an option as the cloud and squally rain obscured most of it.
At the start of the trek I passed this 17th Century Well House. Built over a natural spring, the water still flows freely and clear. Nearby I saw a Welsh Poppy growing in the hedgerow.

The first mile or so was across grazing land, a steady progressively steepening plod uphill, the weather closing in on the high hills in the distance.

June, and a fine misty rain and chilling breeze, and that was at my height! On the high hills it would have been zero viz and cold I am certain.

Now I see what my old mate meant..He's been running round these mountains since he could walk and knows every inch.
And touch it did..because that's my walking stick...:laugh:

Easier on the lungs going back down, but slightly painful on the legs, still you can't win 'em all and it's nice to see the rows of thorn trees marking the old pasture boundaries.

Curve modified but needs more work...:roflmao:
:thumbsup:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE