Archery meet - near Wishaw - 11th April

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Oh, gloves! There are never enough to go round.

I've got about four if I can find them all but if you're planning on borrowing a bow and happen to have a pair of tightish fitting leather gloves bring them along, especially if you're left handed.(The only bows I have for lefties are a horsebow and a longbow, you use your hand as a rest and need a glove for your bow hand as well.)

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Yeah, should be. That's reenactment weight isn't it?
I watched a crew doing a show at Warwick castle once and they were chucking arrows 100m or so. You might have to aim them a bit higher but they should make it the distance on all but maybe the uphill clout.

Depends more on how much feather you're using.
I've got some skinny alloys with tiny fletchings that might fly well out of a thirty pounder. Try them on the day and if they do they're yours. They came with a bow that they didn't suit so they're freebies and I have no use for them. 8 of them - look brand new.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sorry Josh I'm out of this one mate.

Playing godfather at a christening at 4pm on the Sunday.

Have a good one

elhig

Jan 31, 2010
glasgow
I know I'm new on the site and I've also no archery experience (unless you count a day in butlins when I was 12 or a number of hours playing the kid at wii sports resort), but would it be OK if I tagged along??

If it is OK are there still lifts from Glasgow and the loan of a bow on offer??
(if all the spare bows are all gone, any recommendations on a good place to get a cheap but decent starter one?)

ta much

Last edited:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Aye, no bother. Don't worry about being new, I was only a few posts in the door when I went to my first meet too. :)

None of the bows have been bagsied. It'll be more a case of anyone who wants to borrow one trying a few out first. If folk have to share that'll not be a problem.
I've split some arrows into sets with wee bits of coloured tape.

Lift-wise, we'll sort something out. I'm not sure what my plans are at the moment as my back's still a bit shot but I'll get back to you later in the week.

Something I forgot to mention - Could everyone drive along the track at walking pace please. The chap in the wee bungalow is a touch protective of his little stretch and I wouldn't want to wind him up(any more than is unavoidable).
Also, could anyone who's not parking in the field and isn't carting a butt along please park up at the end of the housing estate to avoid driving back and forth along the track.

Last edited:

elhig

Jan 31, 2010
glasgow
cheers bud,

looking forward to this :-D

also is the camping out still happening, should have my tarp and bivi bag by then & would feel better trying them out for the 1st time with some experienced people around to tell me if I've got the bivi inside out ;-)

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
splashed out and bought some sharps and a modern hip quiver. Iain bought some sharps as well but went for a back quiver. so we're all set. Marion had a go loosing a few long the drive and has got the bug, so might have another shooter/tryer. I'll be able to bring 3 bows definately, a longbow a recurve and a flatbow(all 30#) might also be able to get hold of a 60# longbow for the day as well.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
....also is the camping out still happening, should have my tarp and bivi bag by then & would feel better trying them out for the 1st time with some experienced people around to tell me if I've got the bivi inside out ;-)

Doesn't seem to be much call for it. Most folk seem happy enough with a days shooting which to be honest is all I was ever trying to arrange.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It's looking a bit tenuous for me this weekend, I'm afraid... Too many things to do, not enough time!

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Know what you mean. Brought the bike back up the road at the weekend, the years in the barn haven't been kind to it and it's going to be eating time over the next couple of months.

Did you make it to the gig last night? I managed to get Scott and I tickets:)D) but the set over here is still weeks away.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Unfortunately not. I've been really frazzled recently, and giving up tobacco isn't helping. Still, got a couple of weeks leave coming up soon, so a chance to recharge the batteries... ;)

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
What time we looking at on Sunday?? I'm probably having a bit of a long lie so 10am would be about the earliest for me to get there (got the 40mph A80 to negotiate) Also are you needing butts? I can bring one (with a wobbly stand) but the centre is a bit tired.

Cheers,

Alan

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Stuart, Graeme and I will be getting there around 10 as well. Scott may be there earlier.
Just make yourselves at home if you show up before us.

Aye, bring your butt, the more the merrier. :) Don't worry what state it's in. Can't be much worse then mine, it's barely stopping arrows these days.:rolleyes:

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Awesome day today in brilliant sunshine. I improved my shooting thanks to a few expert tips. Chris had a fantastic time as well and hasn't stopped smiling yet. Very many thanks to Grooveski and Scotty for organising and I hope we do it again sometime

NS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE