Archery meet - near Wishaw - 11th April

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Hi all.

So, anyone fancy an archery day?

Thought we could set up a couple of butts in the high field and a field course round the rest of the farm.
It's not a big holding(about 17 acres) but has plenty of scope for arrow related shenanigans. The bottom field has a good backstop for aerial targets, there's a (very)little wood and are plenty of ups and downs for variation even in the fields.

Targets will be whatever we can rustle up between us. Butts, bags full of bags, anything goes. Balloons, tennis balls, cardboard disks, plastic bottles..... I'm a big fan of trying to knock golf balls out the air so they'll likely make an appearance. There's a clout of sorts as well.
Ranges will be about 10-120m.
I'll try to keep the layout reasonably arrow-friendly.

Safety-wise:

Silliness should be kept to a minimum(bah:(). No shooting from moving vehicles. No turtle hunting(shooting straight up in the air). No wandering off on your own into areas where there are targets set up.

Everyone will be shown round the course and we'll work round it as a single group. There isn't enough space to set up a course that would be suitable for staggered groups.

There'll be a "safe path" down to the bottom field well away from shooting areas. It'll be shown on a map that'll stay up at the practice butts and I'll mark it out with barrier tape. Anyone arriving in-between rounds should follow that down or wait at the butts until the group returns. Please don't assume that we won't be doubling back and shooting back the way we've just walked because we probably will.

All other entrances will be blocked and signed.

This isn't a GNAS shoot. There's no insurance and even if you have your own I don't know if it'd be valid. We've had archery at well over a dozen scottish meets with no issues but this one will have more arrows flying about.
If the lack of insurance is a problem for you I can only suggest that you don't come. Hate saying that but it's the only solution I can think of.

Other info:

Parking may be an issue. There's parking for about four cars. Beyond that we'll have to park up the hill from where it isn't a long walk(or someone can run a shuttle in a 4wd). 4 wheel drives can come straight into the top field.
To be honest normal cars can get into the field too but I nearly had my exhaust off one day so I wouldn't recommend it.

We'll get the chute up and keep a fire ticking over if it's dreich.

There'll be a selection of bows available to borrow. I only have two suitable for southpaws but folk can always share.

I can give a couple of folk lifts from Glasgow. I'm sure others will happily do the same so if you don't have transport shout out and we'll see what can be done.

That about covers it I think but all ideas welcome.
:)
Josh

Sounds good, where is Wishaw though? Suspect it may be the other end of the country for me. Would love a day of bushcrafty shooting, with like minded people anyway.
A word of caution are you sure, despite the disclaimers above, that should god forbid anything go wrong, you and the land owner wouldn't be liable?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I take it it's just a day thing Josh, no camping etc ?

I migt have to put the Pack on the roof and make a weekend of it though :)

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
There's a sturdays worth of fun to be had paddling the Clyde. :)

Camping? Yeah, obviously there's room to camp. I just don't know what you'd do with your car and feel safe about it. The farm bulding was burned down within a month of it being empty and we're in the same territory as JohnC's car was tanned so have little trust in the local kids.

Sounds good, where is Wishaw though? Suspect it may be the other end of the country for me. Would love a day of bushcrafty shooting, with like minded people anyway.
A word of caution are you sure, despite the disclaimers above, that should god forbid anything go wrong, you and the land owner wouldn't be liable?

Central belt of Scotland. About ten minutes off the M74 from the Hamilton exit.

....and no, I reckon that I'll be held liable for any mishap as the organiser but what are you supposed to do? Stop having fun?
I've shot with a lot of the folk who'll likely come at various other meets. Common sense is a good chunk of the safety factor and there's no shortage of common sense among the members here.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
That's my bloomin' birthday!!! hmm maybe I can use that to scrounge some brownie points.... pencil me in too, I'll start working on her now :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Alan

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Would the week after suit you better?
...and you Rich?

I just plucked the date out the air, matters not a jot to me and it's easy enough to get a mod to change the date.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looking at the calendar it's probably more likely we'll do something the weekend before tbh. I'll have words and let you know, might even bring her along for a trip :eek:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have two compounds that are available Josh.
I fell nearly a fortnight ago, landed on my outstretched arm, and I have hurt my shoulder; really hurt it, and it's the one I tore muscles in years back too, so no way will I be up to shooting that weekend.
Happy to come along and keep the kettle boiling though :D

cheers,
M

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
That's a drag Mary. Neck/shoulder/arm mishaps are my bane so I feel for you, they mess up everything.
It shouldn't be hard to put the chute up. There are a few likely branches to pop a fishing arrow over so it should just be a case of pinning it down.

Looking at the calendar it's probably more likely we'll do something the weekend before tbh. I'll have words and let you know, might even bring her along for a trip :eek:

A simple yes or no would have sufficed. :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A simple yes or no would have sufficed. :D

moon.gif

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I'd like to come too please. I'd be in my 4x4, coming from Glasgow so plenty of room for anyone that needs a lift.

ATB,
Stuart.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Don't change it on my behalf, I can't even commit at this stage so whenever suits you best. If the weekend before suits shewie better that works equally as well for me too, and it means you don't have to bake me a cake... ;)

Can bring a longbow, a recurve and a butt (which is a bit tired now) I'm a leftie but the longbow is ambi...something :D

cheers,

Alan

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I think he was saying they'd do something the week before.

Date stands, 11th it is. :)

Hi Stuart
If no-one else takes you up could you pick me up and all the junk? That'd free up a parking space straight off.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Hi Stuart
If no-one else takes you up could you pick me up and all the junk? That'd free up a parking space straight off.

yeah, no bother at all :)

If you PM me your address and a time when you get things organised we'll sort something out.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Would you like some willow beasties Josh ? :D

Dharma, Fiona and I have been making willow structures, sheep, deer, birds, fishes.........they can be stuffed for targets. Takes time, but they're fun to make. Too big to take away from the site though.

Just an idea.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE