Heads up - Post office not sending sharps after 22th April

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I really doubt that the post office go to the considerable expense of X raying every parcel. I mean if you believe that you will believe that the BBC really do have detector vans checking to see if you are using Iplayer without a licence.
As I understand it they have narco dogs at international mailcenters and if dog marks anything they use x-ray to check the packages.
But I doubt they use expensive x-ray machines to check packages within UK.

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
I really doubt that the post office go to the considerable expense of X raying every parcel. I mean if you believe that you will believe that the BBC really do have detector vans checking to see if you are using Iplayer without a licence.
Just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you :oops:

Reactions: Robbi

Falstaff

Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
What, that many of them want to send machetes in the post?
It seems the answer is yes. I tried to buy one myself, lovely handmade one, very popular, nearly all for export. From I think it was Malaysia, from a young villager who also makes firepumps (see on youtube). But authorities there have banned postal/export- so he is effectively out of business and no longer makes them.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It seems the answer is yes. I tried to buy one myself, lovely handmade one, very popular, nearly all for export. From I think it was Malaysia, from a young villager who also makes firepumps (see on youtube). But authorities there have banned postal/export- so he is effectively out of business and no longer makes them.
That’s a pain, apologies for misunderstanding you.

Reactions: Falstaff

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
I think it’s the same approach, similar to how they treat gun owners. We can’t fix the problem of knife crime or gun crime so instead let’s tighten the rules that affect law-abiding citizens so we can appear to be doing something. And Joe muppet who opens wide to swallow every bit of BS the government shovels them, will cheer them on.
This is the biggest enemy, the public and their lack of braincells. I've seen people on Facebook so many time, stating things like you should get 10 years in prison just for carrying a knife, and anyone who carries a knife has the intention of using it (in an offensive manner).

Then you have that Idris Elba, the current anti knife poster boy who doesn't have a clue. He said in one interview that banning knives won't fix the problem but it will show that the country cares. He's right, it won't make a difference, but if he really wants to show people that the country cares, perhaps he should fight for better education, reducing poverty etc. etc.

Reactions: GreyCat and Pattree

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
It will be interesting to see how the makers of garden tools, carpentry tools and kitchen tools send them in future.

Last week I treated myself to a Niwaki garden tool (well, they had a Valentine's day discount promotion running and I wanted another of their excellent sharpening stones, they are shaped perfectly for secateurs). It was interesting, as they use an on-line service to age check you (bit like an on-line credit check). Then dispatch via Royal Mail age verified.

Delivery was slightly entertaining, postie knocked the door and by the time I got downstairs and opened the door he was across the street, in his van and leaving. He'd left the parcel on the doorstep- carefully placed, with the large "bladed item verify age" sticker turned inwards so it wouldn't scare the neighbours. I have had that before with RM, perhaps that is why they are stopping carrying bladed items- they are working too quickly to actually do the age verification.

By contrast, both UPS and Amazon Logistics are very thorough about checking ID/age. I've bought quite a few garden tools from Amazon (they do most of the Fiskars garden tools range) and they obviously have a separate "age restricted items" delivery round. I suppose it's worth it for them as they also sell other things with age restrictions such as alcohol.

For the sector of the population who insist on banning things as the way forward, I respectfully suggest they demand the banning of Facebook, X and TikTok. I suspect it would do way more good for behaviour than RM banning carriage of kitchen knives, carpentry tools or garden implements..... :roflmao:

GC

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Posties tend to know their customers, no need to go through uneccesary ritual for the sake of it. I'd sooner trust my postie than most couriers who I have never seen before.

Reactions: Pattree and Robbi

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
Indeed. The Ervi courier is always the same chap whereas the posties vary a lot around where I am.

I am also noticing a very recent trend where some types of garden tool are becoming more difficult to find a retailer for.... e.g the Fiskars XA3. Perhaps the description is enough to cause worries these days....... mad.

GC.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Indeed. The Ervi courier is always the same chap whereas the posties vary a lot around where I am.

I am also noticing a very recent trend where some types of garden tool are becoming more difficult to find a retailer for.... e.g the Fiskars XA3. Perhaps the description is enough to cause worries these days....... mad.

GC.

I wouldn't know, I've never seen our Evri delivery driver; sometimes the closest our parcel gets to us is in the hedge two miles down the road :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE