Anyone had any rain yet.?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nothing here in West Hertfordshire apart from being very muggy. The forecast doesn't look that promising either with just showers predicted for a couple hours over night

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
What do you expect for mid-winter - oh, hang on!
Well, yeah…..

Just had an intense 20mins clearing the 4 main drains around the house. Three were blocked with leaf and other matter from the downpipes, despite having leaf strainers on, and one had a good load of gravel flushed down from our driveway. We know it happens now and then in very heavy weather - usually winter! - and I had only cleared them three weeks ago on my usual routine. But that was really exceptionally heavy rain/hail and wind just now!

Anyway the sun is out now, and quite strong still, so I expect to see steam rising from the garden and the stubble fields within the next half hour…..probably gonna be humid again :(

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
In my part of Devon we had drizzle from the small hours until maybe 10am. The ground was wet and there were puddles forming, so some moisture should seep down. Since then though the day has just been warm and overcast. More rain is predicted tomorrow, but we shall see.

Edit. 3:30pm and it's dark and drizzly with some thunder

Haven't seen anything in the opposite Southern corner of Devon and its normally supposed to be the wettest place in the country!

Not heard any thunder or anything either..

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's so overcast here that I put the kitchen lights on to see what I was doing to make dinner.....and it's still drizzling down outside, but oh, blessedly, it's a lot cooler :) I think I might manage to sleep tonight if this keeps up :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Lots of thunder, heavy rain squall about 2 cm(heavy compared to recent weeks)
Big bang close by, lost power for a while but now back on. Its sunny but much cooler now. More wet stuff to come later by all accounts.
Veg look a bit happier, but the lettuce are now looking as if they intend to bolt too. Every last one. That's potatoes harvested early, peas never amounted to much more than a few pods before they went brown and died, cauliflowers bolted and gone, along with all the onions. Sigh, it all looked so good earlier this year.
Sweetcorn tomatoes and courgettes are fine, squash are hanging in carrots and parsnips still look limp and purple and green beans though looking blasted are still producing .
Rain, blessed rain! From now till Thursday and I'll be happy enough to try some autumn planting to make up for the losses.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
It's just started drizzling here.
Nowhere near as exciting as a good thunderstorm, but probably the 'right' kind of rain because it will soak in rather than just run off and cause a flood.

Still no wind. Which means it's still a bit clammy.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Rained here in the early hours and there has been some very light drizzle on and off... As some mentioned, probably good to start softening the ground. There is a bit of sun in the sky again, but I believe this afternoon it's supposed to rain again... supposedly thunderstorms, but the forecasts of them haven't come true yet...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It hasn't stopped here. It's not heavy but it's the kind of soaking that's being absorbed into the ground, and the plants and trees. The trees are looking a lot happier, they've sort of perked up.
Just measured it on the gauge, and we've had 3" / 8cm of rain. Our ponds are really full again.

I hope those that need it get rain, good slow soaking in, rain.......and then we get a lovely Indian Summer later on :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE