Anybody used the DD Hammocks tarp sleeve?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Hi all,

One for the tree-dwellers. I use a snakeskin for the hammock itself and like the idea of the tarp sleeve instead of the stuff sack I presently use:

http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd_xl_sleeve

But, what do any actual users think of them? Do you just end up with a big (wet?) bundle that you then have to stuff into something else anyway?

Your experiences or alternative advice, please.

Cheers.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Tried snake skins but find them much more bulky to pack away. Both my hammock and tarp pack into small dry bags so I can squeeze all the air out and compress them. This also keeps them dry.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Seen em, never tried em........they always look murder to pack, and wouldn't yer hammock get wet through with a wet tarp in there?

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I use a sleeve for my tarp, keeps it's out the way until needed through the summer. It doesn't weigh enough to worry about; goes in a drybag when packed in case it's wet. Have one for my hammock but generally use a drybag for that as well and pack it centre first for easy deployment. Hyoh mate, keep fettling until it works for what you want.

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

I use the DD Hammock Sleeve for my DD Frontline Hammock, its a godsend, the first time i set my hammock up the mesh got covered in twigs and leaves and was close to been torn too many times.

This totally prevents this from happening.

I tried it for my tarp and it worked well, however, its no good if your tarp isn't bone dry.

kaizersoza

Trekking Troubador
Jan 12, 2014
Swansea
I am out this weekend for a cheeky overnighter, I bought a DD hammock, snakeskin and tarp in the DD group buy a few months ago, never used a snakeskin before when I used my old TW hammock, I didn't have too much of a problem as long as I draped the hammock over my shoulder, but with tis snakeskin it should protect it a bit from wayward twigs and other pointy objects

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Have used the sleeve on both a hammock and the 3x3 tarp. In both cases they make life easier. I pack my hammock and tarp into the side pockets of my burgen (rocket packs) and it takes all the hassle out of the job.
Always think I will use it to pack the hammock away during the day but never have. I leave my CCF in place and air my sleeping bag over the hammock so my hammock goes up and stays up. On the odd times I have had to pack away wet gear they really came into there own as a damp sausage is easy to handle then wet sheets. They are only going to be packed tight for the trip home so no worse than stuffing a sack. They do slide over the material easy enough and you soon get the knack of gripping only the sleeve and not the contents. Not used a bishop bag but there is room in a rocket pack for a tarp in skin and a few bits so I don't have a need, same with tree huggers for the hammock.
I would not say they are "needed" but they do make life simple; empty hammock, slide over, pack, job done. To set up: I set first tree hugger, clip on 'binner to hammock walk over to 2nd tree playing out the snake, clip 2nd binner, tie 2nd hugger, walk back and adjust 1st hugger. Then its tea or carry on unpacking but I can see what "my" area will look like. Plus the sleeve is a great drip line replacement.

fenrir

Dec 12, 2014
Austria
What I don't like about the sleeve: Everything is still wet. And you are still stuck with a 3m long tarp. At the end, I end up putting the sleeve into a drybag again ...

In addition, it fixes the direction you set up the tarp: Put the sleeve on in diagonal? It's going to be diagonal for the next setup, or you first have to unpack it from the sleeve anyway. Same applies for any direction. If you simply put the tarp into a drybag, you can set it up in various ways right from the start.

But I do have to admit: Setting up the tarp from a sleeve is/was easier for me when in stronger winds ...

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Wet tarp; sleeve or no sleeve, still needs drying at home!
Valid point on switching to/from diagonal but I would get it right sometimes!!!!
Am going to have to move to a bishop bag from my 4x4 tarp mind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE