Any meetups in Kent...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Yohny

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2005
Thanet, Kent
Hi. Just wondering if there were any meet ups in or around the Kent area? Be great to meet some of the other members & I always have so much to learn!
Cheers

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
rich59 said:
I am interested. Any location in mind?

Lets pick one :D

Maidstone is fairly central.. and there are a couple of small bits of woodland near me. Inc one 5 mins from my door that I thought was just a thin strip - turns out its a mile long and about 1/2 a mile wide. Mostly Chestnut Coppice with lots of birch and Beech. Lovely for an afternoons walk. Already spotted over two dozen types of Fungi - most of which I cant identify. Tho I did identify some shaggy ink caps, sulphur tuft, earth balls, false death cap (at least i hope it was false) and a few others.
There's a few other woods I frequent down near Ashford.

Possibly going to be out and about on Sat - anyone interested?

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
Bardster said:
There's a few other woods I frequent down near Ashford.

Possibly going to be out and about on Sat - anyone interested?

Hi Bardster

Do you know Hatch Park near Ashford? I get to work on the ancient hornbeam trees in the woods there, fantastic site. However it is a SSSI and I don't think English Nature or the owner would take to kindly to a load of scruffy erberts like us :lmao: lighting fires and so forth. Although if we offered to do some Rhody bashing and removal of other competing scrub voluntary like it might just swing it ;)

I am going to an open day in the woods at Cobham Hall on Sat morning it is an Ancient Tree Forum connected event from 11-4 should be interesting. Then I've got a fancy dress halloween party to go to in the evening :eek: I'm going as Ozzy Osbourne :lmao: (fried bat anyone:aargh4: )

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Laurence Dell said:
Hi Bardster

Do you know Hatch Park near Ashford? I get to work on the ancient hornbeam trees in the woods there, fantastic site. However it is a SSSI and I don't think English Nature or the owner would take to kindly to a load of scruffy erberts like us :lmao: lighting fires and so forth. Although if we offered to do some Rhody bashing and removal of other competing scrub voluntary like it might just swing it ;)

I am going to an open day in the woods at Cobham Hall on Sat morning it is an Ancient Tree Forum connected event from 11-4 should be interesting. Then I've got a fancy dress halloween party to go to in the evening :eek: I'm going as Ozzy Osbourne :lmao: (fried bat anyone:aargh4: )

Not aware of Hatch Park, usually wander the woods around Ham Street or further down. Could be a good one if we can swing it tho. Could quite easily get a few of us volunteer I think.
Done some work at Cobham Hall School in the past - lovely Site.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
This meetup plan depends what people want to do. If it was just a day thing enjoying the woods, looking at fungi, walking, and other "innocent activity" then anywhere would do. If it is more extensive - fire lighting etc. or even camping - then special permission might be needed.

I might make a day thing this side of Christmas, but an over nighter may have to wait to the spring for me. But you guys don't need to delay on my behalf.

fa11en ange1

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
Dover, Kent
www.fragraceandgame.com
So did the meet up happen, as I would be interested? Also has any one considered contacting a Scout camp site for a camping based meet ups? That way fires, etc... would be OK.

Either way (day or overnight) it would be nice to meet some local BCUK folks and possibly learn from those more experienced than I.

Yohny

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2005
Thanet, Kent
Hi. Not sure if that meet up happened, but as far as scout camps are concerned, I've tried several. Some in Kent & a large one at Ashdown Forest & so far none of them allow "members of ther public". I'll keep trying as I'm sure I've read that some camps allow bushcrafters in!

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Marts said:
Try Manor Court Farm - never been myself but seems they allow fires. Maybe someone near to it could go and check out its suitability

Manor Court Farm

ScottC mentioned Manor Court to me the other day and i think he is about to go, might be worth dropping him a pm and asking for his comments on suitablity. :dunno:

paul.e

Oct 25, 2005
hythe kent
just picked up on this thread, if a kent meet has not happend yet i would be up for it. it would be great to meet a few of you.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
paul.e said:
just picked up on this thread, if a kent meet has not happend yet i would be up for it. it would be great to meet a few of you.

nope nothing has happened yet :) its gonna take someone to actually organise something i think. We all seemed to be just hoping it would spontaniously happen :)
I as bad as this as anyone - I am terrible at actually DOING anything. :D
any volunteers?

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
I'm terrible at organising anything as well but it would be great to get together.

Any ideas for good sites yet? I know lots of places but it is getting permission organised:( and a lot of the sites I know are a bit small.

What part of Kent are most of us centred around? I am in NW Kent but can travel a bit if needed.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Yohny said:
Hi. Not sure if that meet up happened, but as far as scout camps are concerned, I've tried several. Some in Kent & a large one at Ashdown Forest & so far none of them allow "members of ther public". I'll keep trying as I'm sure I've read that some camps allow bushcrafters in!

The Scout movement are tightening up their Child Protection Policy for their camp sites and unless you are fully vetted by the CRB and have the paperwork to back it up then you're going to find it harder and harder to use scout campsites.

It's an unpleasant but prudent fact of modern life...but as I'm sure you'll all agree it would quite clearly be negligent and morally wrong of the Scout movement not too be so strict about it.

So, doesn't mean you can't use their sites but you just got a few more hoops to jump through first. Might be worth it though as they do have some smashing sites.

Hope that helps,

Bam. :)

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Spoke to Manor Court Farm over email and explained the whole bushcraft situation and they didn't seem to keen on it, they don't allow firewood collection and they are about to restrict the camping areas because they are rebuilding a farm house.

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
I'd defo be up for a meet sometime somewhere. I'm in the south east of kent, Wouldham to be precise.

There is a lot of wooded area around my way, but as far as I'm aware its all privately owned. I guess it depends on what you plan on doing as previously mentioned. I don't mind organising, but its knowing where to start. We need a site where we could perhaps make a regular meet, say once a month or something. Would be good to get out the house one day a month!

There must be some wild campsites in kent. Will have s hufty around on google and see if anything turns up...

Would be good to be able to try a few things out as I'm pretty new to it all :)

I don't have a tarp either! I have always used a lightweight tent, does that count me out :D

Geoff

fa11en ange1

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
Dover, Kent
www.fragraceandgame.com
There are no legal wild sites that the public can access that I am aware of. I have recently received permission to use some woodland near Canterbury, but I feel it would be extracting the urine a bit if for my first night out if I invited half a dozen other people. However give it a few months and I'll look in to asking. In the mean time why don't we plan a day walk?

I would suggest King's Wood near Ashford. It is an FC wood and is a good size, plenty of space to avoid sheeple if needed. As for a date I can do Sunday the 18th of December, otherwise I'd be looking at January.

So what do people think?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE