Alpacka Raft Packrafts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
To my eyes the pack rafts are almost an exact copy with mods of fighter aircraft one man rafts. When I was a kid many moons ago there was a glut of these surplus rafts (mid 7o's) and you could pick them up very cheaply and a few folk did. They had to be very light and pack very small, don't think they were as tough as pak rafts, not sure never seen a packraft, but recently you could get mig jet pilots life rafts but they had an enclosed canopy that could be easily modded. I've often thought about it to be honest. Seems like a great idea for when you can't through a canoe on your roof or for packing into places ;)

WS

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
w00dsmoke,

Spot on about the origins of Packrafting, when I first started looking into these intriguing little craft I came across a story of a group of hikers, when they came to a river and had no means to cross, they were amazed when an older guy pulled a little liferaft out of his pack, inflated it and paddled off!

I think that this was in the 50's so there would have been gazillions of military surplus kit on the market, in very good condition.

This is the earliest use that I could find and the guy is generally thought of as the originator of Packrafting, when I get the time I'll try and dig out the link to where I read about it.

My first interest was actually in CO2 inflated aircrew liferafts with a high visability inflatable canopy specifically for overwater flights in single engined helicopters, these were worn with a belt clip for easy and rapid access if the engine quit and were about £600+ (worth every penny when it all goes silent!).

Here's an owner's review of a Denali Llama with spraydeck:

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=1802

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
The Alpacka Raft website has been updated, of particular interest (to me!) is the Gallery, with photographs of Packrafts in wilderness environments of outstanding natural beauty, often where only a backpacked boat could reach.

http://www.alpackaraft.com/gallery/

There are now wilderness trekking and wilderness Packrafting couses being run by Back Packing Light .Com in the US.

There's also a podcast on Alpacka Raft safety features available to download.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi..._alpacka_packraft_safety_design_features.html

Enjoy! (o:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Now that I've learned how to post photo's, here's one showing just how light these Packrafts are (this one's 5lb 8oz) lifts on the little finger, holds two, plus kit, and packs up small, it can also be fitted with a decked sprayskirt.

31012009150-1-1.jpg
[/IMG]

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
The new Alpacka Scout weighs in at under 3lbs, packs down to 20" x 6", and is built of the same tough material as the larger Packrafts!

That's about half the weight of my custom spec' Denali Llama, and that's pretty light.

alpackaraft-126-1.jpg

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
The new Alpacka Scout weighs in at under 3lbs, packs down to 20" x 6", and is built of the same tough material as the larger Packrafts!

That's about half the weight of my custom spec' Denali Llama, and that's pretty light.

alpackaraft-126-1.jpg

That's crazy light... Amazing. Man, I want one of these....

Helixpteron, now that you've had your Alpacka for a while, are you still loving it? Anything additional thoughts with more use (for example, how is holding up?)

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.

alpackaraft-126-1.jpg

It will be interesting to see the Price will they be as cheap as a Sevylor Trailboat ???.

The website does not seem to be working and enquiries get no reply.:confused:

MickT

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
It will be interesting to see the Price will they be as cheap as a Sevylor Trailboat ???.

The website does not seem to be working and enquiries get no reply.:confused:

MickT

I just clicked on the Alpacka Raft link on my signature and it worked for me!
happy0034.gif

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
HTML:
Here's
a review of an Alpacka Raft by Trail Peak Canada's Canoe section, entitled "Alpacka Pack Raft opens up remote areas".

4340.jpg

Photo Credit: Istvan Hernadi, Trail Peak Canada.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
That's crazy light... Amazing. Man, I want one of these....

Helixpteron, now that you've had your Alpacka for a while, are you still loving it? Anything additional thoughts with more use (for example, how is holding up?)

Loving them more!
happy0034.gif

Additional thoughts run along these lines..........."Wish I discovered these years ago!"
happy0054.gif

And as for how they hold up, let's just say that I wish that I was Alpacka tough!
happy0009.gif

I have spare hull fabric, Patch-N-Go Repair Kits, Aquaseal, Tyvek Tape, Duct Tape, PVC Tape and other stuff, but I doubt that I'll need to use it as the fabric and construction is so strong.

Its not just that these boats open up new places to travel, its that they open up how you think about where you can take a boat, and where a boat can take you.

The phrase "Personal Watercraft" really is apt! It doesn't get more personal than this, as you can take them anywhere you go. They're incredible!

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Alpacka Raft have launched their largest internal volume Packraft, provisionally named the '2 Person', its slightly longer and wider than my larger Packraft, though intended for different usage.

The boat weighs 5lb 11oz with 2 seats, 5lbs without seats, and packs down to approximately 20" x 7", the Sawyer/Alpacka 5 piece Paddle weighs 28oz, this new model brings the range of ultralight boats to 7, further details
HTML:
here

alpackaraft-116-2.jpg

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Its not just that these boats open up new places to travel, its that they open up how you think about where you can take a boat, and where a boat can take you.
They're incredible!

You said it! I got an 09' Denali Llama and I'm just about ready to quit my day job (i wish, who knows). I use a mountain bike quite often to get into the backcountry, alot of "portages" and "pushbiking"; we used to use 2 large truck inner tubes lashed together to float bikes and ourselves, tubes are cheap but NOT for extended use. These rafts open up a whole new dimension of wilderness travel and have seriously rekindled my wanderlust.
Boats, bikes, and bushcraft, all in one place, how convenient.
Cheers,
Clint

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Messing about on Cochiti Lake ( a resevoir on the Rio Grande) last week, waiting for the afternoon winds to pick up and blow me back across. The wind came, I rigged up an umbrella for a downwind sail, shoved off and fell right to sleep. Very comfortable boat.
01may09.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE