Alpacka Raft Packrafts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I wanted to put together a system that will allow the use of canals, rivers, lakes, sea, any body of water really, and researched for equipment which is small and light enough to be packed with the rest of my gear, quick and easy to set up and pack up, but has the capability and endurance to safely cope with hard use, sea crossings and prolonged use in winter.

This is what I found and bought, if I appear enthusiastic, its because I am, my enthusiasm did not hinder my objectivity however!

Alpacka Raft Packrafts are small and light enough to be carried with the rest of one's gear, yet provide the ability to cross or follow any body of water encountered. Water travel is generally quicker and less labour intensive than hiking. There are seven models to choose, depending on your specific requirements.

Alpacka Rafts are also very popular with cross country mountain bikers as they can load their packs and bikes onto their Raft, and pack their Raft onto their packs. I even found that two (unrelated) people use their bikes (a Brompton folder and a mountain bike) to cycle to the river, Packraft, then complete their commute to work by bike!

A young American couple have recently completed an expedition from Seattle to Alaska using Packrafts, ski's and hiking. A genuine wilderness craft for sure, at under 5lbs!

I've listed some sites including Alpacka Raft's, the photo's of the little Rafts are amazing, as are the details of the Seattle - Alaska Expedition and the Lost Coast Bike Expedition.

Alpacka Raft website, here.

Ground Truth Trekking (Seattle to Alaska Expedition) Packrafting page, here. Amazing expedition, stunning photo's and video of nature, up close!

Backpacking Light. Com, Packrafting Articles, Gear, Safety, Training, Podcasts & Video page, here.

Epic Designs website, Bike - Rafting Gear, here.

Alpacka Scandinavia website, here.

A Packrafting and mountain biking expedition, bikes, packs and paddler carried by Alpacka Rafts, here. Bike - Rafting video's here.

Lost Coast Bike Expedition.
uprussell.jpg

Credit: Eric Parsons.

The Denali Llama, Sawyer/Alpacka Packraft Paddle and the Stormy Seas EXP100-Expedition PFD (here) make for a very compact, lightweight system. Bic pen illustrates the Denali Llama's small packed size!

user2490_pic370_1235860339.jpg
alpackaraft-79-2.jpg
exp100.jpg

The Denali Llama is used to ferry passengers across water one at a time, having carried the packs already. That's why expedition groups carry this model, as one Packraft ferries all people and packs. They carry a huge volume and weight of gear given their size and weight.

23_alpackaraft-274.jpg
pic2.jpg

Credit: Expemag.com, Alpacka Raft, Stormy Seas & Alpacka Scandinavia.

A caver rappelling to the put in!
23_alpackaraft-311.jpg

Credit: Alpacka Raft & Tom Evans.

From up high, to down low........... And everywhere in between!
happy0054.gif

24_alpackaraft-335.jpg

Credit: Alpacka Raft & Bryan Palmintier.

No other craft goes with you, or takes you, gear, mountain bike, passenger (human or canine) so far ~ The Ultimate Personal Craft!

An Alpacka Packraft photo compilation, created by Laurie T.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9tqhj-nsYw

I have no connection with Alpacka Raft other than as a customer whom bought a Packraft following extensive research, their help with custom aspects has been invaluable, I have no hesitation in recommending this Company.
happy0034.gif

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
I've been looking at these for a while now but no secondhand ones??
And the Exchange rate has put the price up rather a lot.

I have even thought about putting together a Pugsley ?? (but would that be over kill) >>

I contacted Eric Parsons a few weeks back about his Bag System and am now waiting to see what happens to the exchange rate before buying.

MickT

I know it's an old thread but I don't look at Forums much now.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Hi Mick,

There are secondhand ones for sale, I know, because I bought a brand new, unused Dory (now re-named Fjord Explorer) here in the UK a few days before my Denali Llama arrived from the USA (to take my 11 year old 'crewmember' paddling).

Right now there is a 2008 model Dory, brand new, unused on the Alpacka forums offered at $750, and even with the £'s nosedive and shipping (about $55 USPS Track & Confirm Service) and VAT and the Parcel Force £8 Handling Fee, its a good deal, more so as the offer price includes shipping within the USA, so you'd maybe only need to add $10-20 to make up the difference.

The guy selling the Dory is 100% genuine and highly respected, especially in the outdoors community.

I can pick up the complete Dory, my Denali Llama, both sets of paddles, drybags and 2 PFD's using my little finger, its incredible just how light and strong they are!

I'm really pleased to have the Dory as I can carry extra people and gear in more comfort, with the bike you have the best of both worlds (I just -yesterday-found a mountain bike forum that the guy's from the Lost Coast Bike Exped' posted some great photo's on, I'll dig out the link).

The link, as promised: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=422085

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Hello H?????????

I nearly bought the Dory that was on the Alpacka forum, the one in the UK.
I got the Photos and all the info but decided it was not what I was looking for as would not use the rowing setup, plus it is larger than the others and I want something which will pack down as small as possible.
I've never seen one close up but they look like they would stand up to a fair bit of abuse,
I am a member of the Cycle Forum you mention, but a lot of the other links I have not seen before, so thank you for those.
The one good thing about the Alpacka is it packs down so small there are no storage problems, plus you can just put it in a rucksack or cycle pannier and off you go.
and I can think of lots of out of the way places I could get to if it is easily carried and it will be a lot more useful that the canoe I have at present, which I am in the process of selling.

MickT

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Hi Mick,

As I bought the Dory whilst my Denali Llama was en route, the Dory was my first sight and 'hands on' of an Alpacka, and I was stunned! Stunned and impressed.

You saw the photo's of the Dory, well, when it came out of the bag it looked exactly like it had just been made, and made to an extremely high standard, it literally shone with newness in the sunlight. Immaculate! I was grinning for the rest of the day.

Feathercraft made the Dory to Alpacka's spec, and they made it very, very well, when I recieved my Denali I was even more impressed. And rather happy too. More grinning.

I'd asked to buy loads of spare hull fabric and 3 repair kits and Alpacka thought I was crazy, as they regularly raced their Rafts down canyons in Alaska, bouncing off rocks and sliding over stones and had not even had a puncture in the last 4 years, nor abraded through a hull or floor! They asked if I intended paddling over razor blades! (o:

The spare hull fabric that came with my Denali (no charge) is incredible, short of stabbing, slashing or burning it, you are not going to damage it in nornal use, it is soooooo strong, yet weighs nothing!

Ryan Jordan, the owner of Back Packing Light.Com calls Alpacka's the wilderness boat, his company publish Roman Dial's book 'Packrafting!' He loves them.

Here's a link to Ryan's personal Packrafting site, different to BPL.Com.

http://www.ryanjordan.com/photos/boulder_creek_packrafting/index.html

The Alpacka Sawyer Packraft Paddle is a work of art, and (no surprise) weighs nothing.

Alpacka's are designed for a 10-15 year life, factoring in the design and build quality, capability and capacity and that there is nothing to compare to them, the price does not seem high, in my opinion.

I agree about wanting the smaller model, had it not been for the question "can I come out in your boat too?" from a child, I would have kept to my Denali, and not bought the Dory, which gets paddled, not rowed (the Dory paddle transforms to a 2 bladed paddle, 2 oars or 2 canoe type paddles-and weighs nothing!). I use it as a spare, or for my 'crewmember'.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Yes, I was taken on how new the Dory looked in the pictures.
As they don't seem to have a UK importer i presume the only way you can get one is from the US ??

But they do seem to have an importer in Norway.

They are expensive as you say but if you want a cheap packraft Sevylor do one but they reckon it's not as good as the Alpacka but then it is only £60 and it would be good enough for calmer water.

Interesting Link to alpacka istory here >> http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/022303/out_rafts.shtml

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I want one!

Thanks for this thread - I've never come across these before and now my future is full of new possibilities. That's why it's great hanging around with you guys.:You_Rock_

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Hi Mick & Kerne,

I emailed Alpacka with many questions and recieved very prompt, full replies, and this was at their busiest period and they had just restructured their Company and moved from Alaska to Colorodo!

Alpacka made it very clear that they were interested in my making the right choice, NOT in selling me a Raft that may not fulfill my specific needs and envisioned usage. They specifically stated that they would rather not sell a Raft unless they were happy that it was right choice. I found this to be a measure of their Company integrity.

Throughout my communication with Alpacka by phone and email, I recieved a high level of advice and technical support which resulted in the custom aspects of my Denali becoming reality, which, along with spares, InsulMat and paddle were delivered at a very good price in a very short timescale.

I was new to transacting through the internet, but to be honest, emails and a 4p a minute international phonecard made the process quite straightforward.

I'd seen the Sevylor Trail boat and the Curtis Designs Model 100 (with its table tennis bat 'paddles') and neither inspire confidence, even on calm water, whilst my Alpacka's are boats on which I trust my life, and feel happy to carry passengers on.

I'd seen that Alpacka story, thanks for the link.

Packrafting is actually taught at Alaska Pacific University by Roman Dial, who's a Professor there, its a good method of getting environmental scientists and students into the areas where they need to conduct research.

Imagine that in the UK, it'd make me want to become a mature student! (o:

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
The Sevylor Trail Boat looks all wrong to me too, although I've never seen one up close.
Which end is the front the high end or the low end?
The only pictures I have seen are of someone kneeling in it.
If you sit at the low end it looks like water will come in over the back as soon as you sit in it.
If you sit at the high end you could have water coming in the front especially if you put a Pack across your legs.
But then someone suggested towing one behind an Alpacka Raft to carry extra gear.

According to another forum I have been reading Curtis Boats are no longer made, he seems to have retired.

A degree in Packrafting imagine that one on The weakest link :rolleyes:

A World first Packrafting across Scotland sounds good to me.:grouphug: :deal:

MickT

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
The supply of Curtis boats ended when Curtis Snr. and Jnr. shut up shop, no one appears to have taken on the design.

The Sevy' like the Curtis were doubtless appreciated by those whom used them within their design limits. In the Sevy' the paddler sits at the widest end, Erin and Hig had lots of experience with the Sevy' and found that the hull fabric to which the tie down were fitted would rip off with tedious regularity causing instant deflation.

Being that this happened with the load carried on the boat as intended, I doubt that the forces involved during towing would do anything different, other than result in the immediate loss of the towboat and cargo!

When Alpacka asked about the intended use of my Denali, I confirmed that I intended to do a solo, unsupported, extended trip around Scotland.

In winter!

I am much inspired by the guy whom spent 3 months in the Arctic with his Feathercraft K1 Expedition folding kayak, mainly living on caught fish and instant mashed potato, Erin and Hig's epic Seattle to Alaska trip and the Lost Coast Bike' Packrafters.

It was to this aim that I decided that the Katadyn Pocket Microfilter, Survivor 35 Desalinator, Kifaru 6 man tipi and medium stove, LuxuryLite Cot, SlingLight chair and Outback Oven would be on my minimum equipment list.

With the Katadyn kit, if I can paddle it, I can drink it! The other kit ensures shelter, heat, rest and relaxation. I'm enjoying researching and buying all the kit on my (long) list, it is however, quite time consuming.

I'm still putting my gear together (mainly from the US) then will come familiarization and testing (testing myself too!).

I became taken with the beauty of Scotland from seeing the photo's on Song Of The Paddle, it grew on me very rapidly.

Many thanks for that great link, I'd not seen that, I just love that these cute little 'tardis' Alpacka's enable people to explore, and it all begins with the realization which Kerne said so well "I've never come across these before and now my future is full of new possibilities."

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Helix

So will the trip you are planning be a bikerafting trip ??

I am getting an Alpacka Raft for much the same thing .

I did think of putting together another bike until I realised I already had one which was good for the job.

I must try and lighten the load as the Raft, Paddle and Pfd will put the weight up a fair bit.

For some reason I have always wanted to go down the Wick River, it's only short and goes through the Flatlands of Caithness but for some reason it has always interested me.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I had found that forum to be rather uninhabited, very few posts and whilst able to register, an error message appeared each time I tried to post.

Bike Rafting was not my intention as I need to have a hip replaced before I could use my mountain bike. Were it not for injuries, I would never have been off my bike, I love mountain biking more than motorcycling. I guess you understand what I mean!

A mountain bike and an Alpacka are THE best combination of personal land and water travel ever devised! Brilliant choice Mick! (o:

The Sawyer Packraft Paddle is so light, its astonishing (you also get 10% off if you order when you get your Raft). Might be an idea to have Alpacka fit some additional Grab Loops too.

Which Raft are you getting and which PFD do you use?

I'm off to look up the Wick River, got any photo's?

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
I am thinking of the Denali Llama but according to what they say the Yukon Yak is more my size, but then it will be used for everything , Fishing , carrying two people plus bikerafting , so I reckon the extra few inches will be worth it ?? or maybe I am just thinking of the Llama because I reckon I'm getting more boat for my money ??
I will use the Pfd I have first and see how it goes I have a Delta Ranger if the bottom of it interferes with the backrest I may look for something else, I would like something that packs down small though ?? any ideas ??
I have a double paddle but it's two piece and does not pack down very small either, so may seriously think about a Sawyer.

I see on the Alpacka Forum they are talking about extra loops on their rafts so that could be interesting.

I sent a mssage to the Admin of the European Packraft Forum and have still not received a reply maybe as you say it's died .

Here is a link to a You Tube Video showing a Sevylor Trail Boat. It's about 5 minutes and 30 seconds into the video

MickT

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I chose the Denali Llama due to its absolute versatility, crew and cargo carrying capability.

The use of a small, packed dry bag atop the InsulMat between the front hull tube and my footwear soles provides good bracing and places additional bow weight nice and low beneath the decked sprayskirt.

A heck of a lot of thought and experimentation went into my final Raft model choice, and for the size and weight difference, the Denali has so much potential and usability over its smaller siblings. Better to have the potential and usability than need it and not have it!

I found two PFD's which had high cut backs to clear kayak backrests, however, they also had fronts which would hinder the spray skirt seal and act like funnels! I'll dig out the links as what does not work for me may work for others.

I bought two Stormy Seas EXP100-Expedition Life Vests which are cut short front and back, have four capacious pockets, two 'D' rings and may be worn in non, partial or fully inflated modes, Sheri, the inventor of Alpacka Rafts wears the Stormy Seas SV100 Ultralight Vest.

http://www.stormyseas.com/vests.html

Stormy Seas Short Vests pack very small and light, SV100 is the smallest and lightest. I'll link to my UK supplier of CO2 cylinders (Qty: 5, 24H delivery, less than £5:00).

My Denali has seven additional grap loops factory fitted at the locations of my choice on the hull, I have yellow/orange 10mm floating rope ordered from Barry Edwards at Boat Ropes which will provided complete coverage on both my Rafts. Barry also sells excellent throw bags, I'll dig out the SOTP review link.

Alpacka were extremely helpful with the Grap Loops on my Denali, which I appreciate as it was far more time consuming due to other custom aspects. Alpacka did not charge me any extra despite the extra time they put in.

I expect to post on Alpacka Raft's European Section when I can figure out how to upload images without screwing it up, computer literacy is not my strong point!

Thanks for the Sevy' link, the more I see of them, the more pleased I am to own Alpacka's!

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Have tried to contact Stormy Seas about their pfd's but have not had a reply yet ??
and I have tried contacting the European Packraft Forum and the folk who sell Alpacka in Norway (same people ) with no reply either.
I will wait and see what happens to the exchange rate before going any further.
I have found a few pictures of the Curtis Packraft and I don't know why people praise them but put the Sevylor Trail Boat down as they both look much the same to me, infact the Sevylor one looks safer the the Curtis??
Does anybody know of any Packrafts for sale ????????????????????

MickT

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE