Alone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I think the producers expected them all to last a lot longer hence the $500,000 pay off. And why they are asking for military types to apply in the next episode. Because they think they will outlast most.

By starting sometime in late October, all of plentiful salmon were denied them, and frankly there simply isn't a lot else around. While they are near logged off areas and regrowth, deer there will have been hunted, and so tough to get with a bow. Bears aren't hunted much any more due to regulations which say that you have to eat the meat and so trophy hunting is no longer common - so they are possible for the menu. That leaves small game and most of that won't be near their camp-sites. I believe that the producers knew that it wouldn't last too long.

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
They are not allowed to bring/choose a bankline. I wonder why that is... It's my favourite piece of kit for catching fish. Local regulations?

They can make one or two lines if they find some rope. Put 5 hooks on it. Use the monofilament for droppers. It will cost 10 hooks if they decide to make two banklines. That is halve the amount of hooks they (most of them) have. Have not seen anyone doing that or maybe I missed an episode..

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I think there are some odd choices.

Maybe it's the editing but things like the amount of time put into mouse hunting, with no apparent effort being put into other sources of food? I would have thought that pursuing multiple lines of food at once would make more sense, especially considering the lack of effort required with the traps.

I'm very impressed with the fish traps (small and large!) and also the canoe.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Just read a comment elsewhere that made me wonder about this whole 10 item list.

The chap with the canoe... where did he get a 12" non-stick frying pan to cook that fish?

Palaeocory

Forager
I wonder if they're able to use anything they find washed up on the shore? We used to find fishing equipment from Japan washed up on the beaches (pretty glass ball floats were prized!) - with the tsunami from a few years ago, maybe they'll all be well kitted out :) At least nets could be found I bet!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I wonder if they're able to use anything they find washed up on the shore? We used to find fishing equipment from Japan washed up on the beaches (pretty glass ball floats were prized!) - with the tsunami from a few years ago, maybe they'll all be well kitted out :) At least nets could be found I bet!

There are a few discrepancies between what kit they are supposed to have and what people have seen on the various films... some of which could possibly have been found on the coastline, but not overly sure when it comes to a frying pan.

Other than the big fella, the other 3 are either not showing what they're eating day to day, or they've got some form of rations. Over 30 days and the only person who appears to have had regular food is the big fella. Whether its slugs, seaweed, diddy fish or a crab, he has shown that he's eating enough to survive... but the rest of them? Could you survive 30 days on a mouse or a single fish?

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
There are a few discrepancies between what kit they are supposed to have and what people have seen on the various films... some of which could possibly have been found on the coastline, but not overly sure when it comes to a frying pan.

Other than the big fella, the other 3 are either not showing what they're eating day to day, or they've got some form of rations. Over 30 days and the only person who appears to have had regular food is the big fella. Whether its slugs, seaweed, diddy fish or a crab, he has shown that he's eating enough to survive... but the rest of them? Could you survive 30 days on a mouse or a single fish?
I believe they were allowed 5lb's of emergency rations...whatever that is.? The big guy had it sussed making the bottle trap. I used to make these years ago from glass bottles with a deep concave in the bottom (well before Plastic bottles became the norm) to catch Minnows for Pike bait.

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
This is a brilliant series. Thankfully, it hasn't been 'Americanized' with constant scene repeats, dramatic sound track, jarring camerawork and editing. It's very well done indeed.

On another note, I'm glad that I didn't know Vancouver Island had the highest cougar population on the continent when I was camping out near the rain forest there :). Vancouver Island is probably the most atmospheric place I've been to in the world, so it's a real pleasure for me to watch this series.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I believe they were allowed 5lb's of emergency rations...whatever that is.? The big guy had it sussed making the bottle trap. I used to make these years ago from glass bottles with a deep concave in the bottom (well before Plastic bottles became the norm) to catch Minnows for Pike bait.

Lucas and Sam are the only two left who took rations, Alan and Mitch took no rations (its only taken me 7 weeks to learn their names... yay!)

I think I read somewhere that the emergency rations was beef jerky and lentils, something like that... but still, 30 days - 5lbs of food... I can eat 5lb of food really rather quickly.

Not taking anything away from the show because it is entertaining and one of the best survival type shows in a long time, but I am beginning to wonder just how strict the rules are as time goes on.

Something that has been puzzling me (now I know his name) is Lucas... how the devil did he manage to film himself canoeing? I can understand the face front footage, thats a camera in the canoe itself... but there are numerous shots of him taken from a bank opposite where he launched. Either he had the foresight to set up a camera long before he launched the canoe, or they're not really as alone as we've been led to believe.

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands

Yes, they may use things that wash up on the shore. Like the plastic bottles used for the fishtraps... those washed up on the shore. There was a little text comment on the screen saying it is allowed to use the things they find.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Believe they could take 5lbs of whatever, one took pemmican, another beans & lentils.

After watching the special, I'm still confused because the guys who had already dropped out were surprised that Brant had drunk water without boiling it. Since Joe was the only one shown with a fire (before he lost his ferro rod), I wonder how they purified their water? And if they'd had fires, animals wouldn't have approached so closely. Dustin, the sixth to drop out in six days had no fire, though he is shown trying for two days.

I was left still feeling sorry for Joe, having to quit while his fire was still going, but at least he had the sense to know it was all over when he lost his ferro rod. I still think that the others should have quit as soon as they couldn't get a fire going to purify water, keep animals clear, and dry clothing. I'm wondering whether the special replaces the regular show for this week - I'm wondering how Mitch is getting on with his mouldy clothing (and lost net)..

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Just watched episode 8, Lucas has a pot/ kettle by the looks of it. On top of his frying pan.

He's also got 4 tarps... I see in his gear list he has an extra tarp, and by the looks of it they all got a plastic tarp for what I can only assume was to protect the camera gear.

I don't want to be that guy trying to take away anything from what they have done, but to ram home the whole "ten items" and then show what appears to be more than ten items is a bit frustrating.

I'm still enjoying it very much - any of them could leave now. I'm guessing it's a ten part series?? Anyone know - in which case you'd expect two to drop out in the next episode...

Andy

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Just watched episode 8, Lucas has a pot/ kettle by the looks of it. On top of his frying pan.

He's also got 4 tarps... I see in his gear list he has an extra tarp, and by the looks of it they all got a plastic tarp for what I can only assume was to protect the camera gear.

I don't want to be that guy trying to take away anything from what they have done, but to ram home the whole "ten items" and then show what appears to be more than ten items is a bit frustrating.

I'm still enjoying it very much - any of them could leave now. I'm guessing it's a ten part series?? Anyone know - in which case you'd expect two to drop out in the next episode...

Andy

It is not shown on camera but Lucas has found several abandoned camps with his canoe and raided them for gear, lots of behind the scenes info on BCUSA through speaking with 3 of the contestants

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE