Alone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
It is not shown on camera but Lucas has found several abandoned camps with his canoe and raided them for gear, lots of behind the scenes info on BCUSA through speaking with 3 of the contestants
Smart move.....I wonder if they have certain rules though. half a million bangers at stake here..

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Part of the rules were they could re-purpose anything they took with them or found except the 45lbs of camera equipment and the boxes to protect it, like short circuiting batteries to make fire was a no no.

Also i noticed earlier people talking about fire, the only player in the show who did not get fire at all was Brant, Dustin got his first fire after 2 days of trying, when you think of how much video was being shot and how little we got to see from all the players in each show it is understandable how so much we wanted to see ended up hitting the cutting room floor like what everyone was eating day to day, we only got to see Alan eating bull kelp and limpets is because he was entertaining with it and also he was shooting video of it, we never seen anything of Lucas going to fetch his fishing gear in ep 8 when the weather was bad and he got the cormorant because he was so concerned with his own safety he didn't risk filming it.

It has been an eye opener talking with Sam, Joe and Dustin over on BCUSA and it is funny how many people instantly jump to conspiracy when they see something they think doesn't fit, i blame the fakers of survival TV for this (i point no fingers at specific tv personalities) we are all so used to producers/personas attempting to pull the wool over our eyes and shows being a total setup that we are constantly looking for the next bullsh*t fake scenario, i suppose it is good to know less and less people take tv as gospel truth

Russell96

Forager
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
I have to say I am loving the show and loving this thread! Great show and I agree with the sentiments expressed so far- best show of this genre by far. So nice to finally see people actually 'doing it' rather than it being so some sort of TV magic. Glad that the extra items of kit question was cleared up!

It has been an eye opener talking with Sam, Joe and Dustin over on BCUSA and it is funny how many people instantly jump to conspiracy when they see something they think doesn't fit

Let's just watch the show first so we can bring our experience to it, then do all the behind the scenes stuff.

I've brought to this thread what I could, and I'm up for any criticism

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I must have missed stuff. Could you point me to the show and time, please? I saw no evidence of fire.

It wasn't shown onscreen but has been discussed at length on BCUSA, screentime in the first few episodes all went in favour of explaining why folks were tapping out, just like how we haven't once seen Lucas ransacking abandoned hunters campsites along the shoreline that he keeps finding in his canoe.

I was also one of the people saying things did not look right just like everyone else regarding the ten items and what we were seeing onscreen, who wouldn't be if they had seen the fakery in previous survival shows like The Island for example.

I'm not criticizing anyone, don't be so defensive

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
A lot of this extra info was also discussed by the contestants on the extra shows that have been showing on Sunday evenings, one was called Alone After the Rescue and the other was called Alone an inside look : The Hunger, there is another of these shows on this sunday, it is basically a group of the contestants watching the episode and discussing it and jokingly taking the **** out of each other as they do

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
If he's raiding abandoned camps I wouldn't be surprised to see him with some better bedding and a lot more cookware. Seems as you say, we've become so used to trickery on this type of programme that we almost look for it now.

Looking forward to how it all pans out in the end and I hope they get a second series going. Considering this is virgin territory for all involved, it should only get better.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I know i do when i am watching this stuff i can't help it, fool me once shame on you ........ hahahaha. I noticed when Lucas was pulling down his camp to relocate and build his yurt that he had a tonne of gear scattered about the area from kettles to foam mats and all sorts of other useful stuff, in one of the extra shows he confirms that the reason he included the heavy duty large military tarp as one of his 10 items was that he always had the intention of building a canoe, he took 2 tarps as part of his ten chosen items and each player also had 2 re-purpose-able tarps that came with the camera equipment not part of their ten items, the camera gear boxes were wrapped in these whilst it was stored at each players drop off

Apparently the application process for season 2 is closed and they have started taking applications for season 3

Here is the application info

It wasn't shown onscreen but has been discussed at length on BCUSA, screentime in the first few episodes all went in favour of explaining why folks were tapping out, just like how we haven't once seen Lucas ransacking abandoned hunters campsites along the shoreline that he keeps finding in his canoe.

I was also one of the people saying things did not look right just like everyone else regarding the ten items and what we were seeing onscreen, who wouldn't be if they had seen the fakery in previous survival shows like The Island for example.

I'm not criticizing anyone, don't be so defensive

No, I was interested to see what I'd missed in terms of fire. "I must have missed stuff. Could you point me to the show and time, please? I saw no evidence of fire.". Lack of fire is a huge consideration if half the contestants failed due to lack of being able to start a fire. If that wasn't the case, then it's really important.

The extra stuff shown is a bit of a contentious issue. Yep pots and pans don't come floating over. The problem is what are you going to hunt on the actual coastline other than marine stuff like seal and sea lion (taken out by boat)? You hunt deer on the clear-cuts where they're easy and you just have to haul them to your vehicle on one of the many haul roads, so I'm wondering about "abandoned hunting camps". I've been figuring that someone has been into native camps which aren't exactly abandoned but seasonal for fishing or hunting - and you'll find those wherever rivers or big creeks enter the ocean - that plentiful. Taking stuff is contentious and complicated to discuss - going much further than any show rules. If you want to hear my story about my transgression 40 years ago, just down the coast from there fine, though soon I'm off for a while. Basically, though, finding stuff can have all sorts of implications, the discussion of which which doesn't belong here.

But my apologies if you thought that I was defensive or contradicting what you said. I wasn't, but may have appeared so. The trouble with a show like this, is that it's important because it gives details of how people make out stuck in one spot. That's really important because most people who found themselves dropped off on that coastline would obviously walk out. So this show is the best information we have. The native people took a very structured approach to colonizing the coast, and so quite different.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
No, I was interested to see what I'd missed in terms of fire. "I must have missed stuff. Could you point me to the show and time, please? I saw no evidence of fire.". Lack of fire is a huge consideration if half the contestants failed due to lack of being able to start a fire. If that wasn't the case, then it's really important.

The extra stuff shown is a bit of a contentious issue. Yep pots and pans don't come floating over. The problem is what are you going to hunt on the actual coastline other than marine stuff like seal and sea lion (taken out by boat)? You hunt deer on the clear-cuts where they're easy and you just have to haul them to your vehicle on one of the many haul roads, so I'm wondering about "abandoned hunting camps". I've been figuring that someone has been into native camps which aren't exactly abandoned but seasonal for fishing or hunting - and you'll find those wherever rivers or big creeks enter the ocean - that plentiful. Taking stuff is contentious and complicated to discuss - going much further than any show rules. If you want to hear my story about my transgression 40 years ago, just down the coast from there fine, though soon I'm off for a while. Basically, though, finding stuff can have all sorts of implications, the discussion of which which doesn't belong here.

But my apologies if you thought that I was defensive or contradicting what you said. I wasn't, but may have appeared so. The trouble with a show like this, is that it's important because it gives details of how people make out stuck in one spot. That's really important because most people who found themselves dropped off on that coastline would obviously walk out. So this show is the best information we have. The native people took a very structured approach to colonizing the coast, and so quite different.

A lot of this extra info was discussed by the contestants on the extra shows that have been showing on Sunday evenings, one was called Alone After the Rescue and the other was called Alone an inside look : The Hunger, there was another of these shows on this sunday but i have been wild camping in Scotland and just got back so i have no idea what was covered in it or what it was called, the rest of the info i shared i got directly from Sam, Dustin and Joe, it has been tricky for them to share any info as they contractually could not discuss things that had not been aired, as each episode passes we get more info out of them

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
but i have been wild camping in Scotland

Same here, but near Sherwood Forest... always good fun at this time of year. Managed to get to Castle Rock as well which I was chuffed about.

Anyway, back to subject (sorry about that), the guys who have lasted out really have shown some resourcefulness. I was lying in a hammock figuring out how far you could stretch 5lbs worth of food, worked out roughly how much water they must be boiling every day just to have a drink... then there is the old problem of withdrawls from the modern drugs such as sugar, salt and coffee. The more I lay there, the more I knew I couldn't do it. I can eat 2lbs of food in one sitting, and thats one of 3 meals I have in a day... I drink at least a litre and a half of water daily... and pretty much every meal has sugars and salt, not to mention the coffee I drink everyday. I'd be a walking wreck after a couple of weeks on that island... and whether there has been any trickery or not (considering the recent revelations, I air on the side of not) I admire the men who've lasted this thing out as long as they have.

Be funny if the second series did put them in a totally different environment though... those who've applied for the second series may expect the same challenges as this group of men, but be faced with a whole other set of challenges. Colder weather is my bet if they change location... they may want to start learning how to fish through ice.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I think a different location would keep the show fresh and i would not be surprised one bit if they went to the opposite extreme from cold and wet to hot and dry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE