Alone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Looking at that list now we know who is left, it is interesting to look at the comparisons of kit choice.

One thing that leaps out is none of the remaining gents chose paracord as an essential.

Also a bit puzzled to why any of them would have chosen a bow and arrow... the wire is more versatile.
Obviously there will be a series 2.
My guess is we will see more choose the wire over the bow. It will be interesting to compare their choices from the 40 items from season 1 to 2 now that people have had a chance to view the first series.

I'm no Macgyver but i'm pretty sure i could fashion at least a 50lb bow out of the local natural materials. if not a bow defo a Spear. not sure if you are allowed to hunt game with a Spear in Canada though. Also, Maybe they couldn't just make a Bow as it had to conform to proper hunting regulations and be tested before the show got under way. ?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I will guess that any "Series 2" is on hold if they planned on using the coast. The toxic algae & dinoflagellate bloom
stretches north from California up along the BC coast. Filter-feeders, all the shellfish (clams/oysters/mussels/limpets/etc)
will remain poisonous for an uncertain length of time.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Wouldn't surprise me if series 2 was somewhere completely different with totally different challenges.

I may not be a fan of all this drama rather than the hard work it takes to survive, but this last episode has redeemed the entire series as far as I'm concerned. You could see the big fella doing what he should, staying indoors, dry and warm... may not be great for his mental health, but the idea of this survival is to last the longest... he has the right idea. It also showed the other extreme... the canoe fella... he exhausted himself and used more energy than he could have gathered in food. The canoe is great, don't get me wrong, but he's fighting tides rather than working with them.

One thing is for sure, none of them are going to stay out there much longer... had the canoe fella built even a basic cabin, I'd have had my money on him... but its the big fella who'll snatch the prize I think. He's the one with the attitude to last it out and he knows his weakness... the others are just learning theirs (like the one who cooked that lovely big salmon right outside his sleeping shelter! What a prize cabbage... then he cries when wildlife turns up for a sniff about.)

The only fella I know the name of is Sam. He's going to have to go home... not because he can't survive, but he'll be counting down the days with his wife being pregnant. It must be driving him completely insane.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well, I liked episode 6, Alans a man after my own heart. Crazy as a loon. :)

How would you deal with the mold issue that Mitch is facing then?

Well, I liked episode 6, Alans a man after my own heart. Crazy as a loon. :)

How would you deal with the mold issue that Mitch is facing then?

From our perspective here, the interest in the show should not be to choose favourites, but to assume that all of the participants had the necessary skills and tools to last for a long time. Many have dropped out due to something failing them, often in short order.

Putting someone with a fear of dogs into a place where the coyotes and wolves howl - well I wonder how that was supposed to go?
I'm guessing that the guy who got brought out in the night was used to carrying a gun, so being in a place with large predators and no gun, well see the above..

I may have been puzzled about some guys lasting a while with no fire, because with a shelter and time to figure things, they should have been able to make things work. But while one can last with a shelter and warm sleeping bag, you are dead in the water if you've drunk untreated water (excuse the joke).

There are all sorts of legends about mysterious beings stealing your stuff or causing harm. Maybe they're true because Joe's ferro rod should have sunk into the sand.. Really though, the legends are a warning that the first time you get careless might be your last.

I'm wondering about Mitch and his mould, because I would have expected him to start remedying the situation long before the mould showed up in quantity. The remedy is to build a dry workspace and big fire under it to get everything dry and well smoked. As with food, smoked clothing resists mould. But right now I'm wondering what shape his feet are in and how fast they will deteriorate. Same old story - if you decide to tough things out instead of coming up with solutions - then you will lose.

Apparently the show is long over and everyone made it out. At this point in the show, though, I'm worried about Sam. I'm not worried about him quitting because of worrying about his wife whether or not that happens. I'm worried that he will make a mistake because of his mind being elsewhere. Likewise I'm a bit worried about Lucas and his boat. While it's a brilliant idea which he has actually put into practise, and which allows access to the resources, it's also going to get a lot more stormy, and the water on the coast is very cold, and the currents strong. Those are good topics for discussion..

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I'm wondering about Mitch and his mould, because I would have expected him to start remedying the situation long before the mould showed up in quantity. The remedy is to build a dry workspace and big fire under it to get everything dry and well smoked.
While it's a brilliant idea which he has actually put into practise, and which allows access to the resources, it's also going to get a lot more stormy, and the water on the coast is very cold, and the currents strong. Those are good topics for discussion..

Ref mould. Thats interesting because not knowing that is what i would have tried.

Ive just seen Lucas pull up his gill net, trot line, and IMO, as a fisherman he's just putting it in the wrong place. Slap bang in the middle of the lake. He would have more success, placing it in a narrow inlet between islands, where bugs fall off trees, if he couldnt find a stream inlet to the lake which e should be able to reach now.

Anway Episode 7 HERE.

Course its easy to criticise sitting on the fence.

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
It's interesting to see basic survival psychology demonstrated so clearly.

Those with a happy optimistic attitude are going further. PMA- positive mental attitude.

Those who find all the obstacles overwhelming have cashed out already.

Those guys who only lasted a couple of days boil my pee, they took somebody more committed space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I haven't read the rest of the thread , but I think the psychological effect of knowing several large Preds are in the very immediate area shouldn't be underplayed. Of the contestants that are there that have come from states with Big Preds , they have already prior experience , those that have come from relatively pred free states will have that aspect gnawing ( excuse the pun ) away at them mentally.

A few years ago I went to Canada for a Jolly , it was quite an experience to walk a few of the still touristy back trails and have this persistent 'itch' at the back of my neck as I envisaged Grizzers around every corner.

I really don't blame the ones that freaked when a bear is scratching away at your Tarp whilst trying to get some shut eye.

YMMV

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I haven't read the rest of the thread , but I think the psychological effect of knowing several large Preds are in the very immediate area shouldn't be underplayed. Of the contestants that are there that have come from states with Big Preds , they have already prior experience , those that have come from relatively pred free states will have that aspect gnawing ( excuse the pun ) away at them mentally.

A few years ago I went to Canada for a Jolly , it was quite an experience to walk a few of the still touristy back trails and have this persistent 'itch' at the back of my neck as I envisaged Grizzers around every corner.

I really don't blame the ones that freaked when a bear is scratching away at your Tarp whilst trying to get some shut eye.

YMMV

2 weeks Monday for me.

One week in a not touristy bit of backwoods.

Let you know how I fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those guys who only lasted a couple of days boil my pee, they took somebody more committed space.

I think that you are being a bit hard on them. Their failure is really based on the fact that they couldn't get a fire going to keep critters at distance and boil water. And it is difficult to get a fire started in the extreme dampness of that place. No matter how they tried, if they drank unboiled water from a creek, before they could get a fire started, then they were out. Remember that Lucas drank rainwater before getting to a creek and boiling water there.

In this show Mitch makes some mistakes. Just how he left a net until a fish rotted in it, then not considering using the fish as bait, then losing his net, seems a little hard to believe. But then remember that he's the guy with the mould and damp clothing issue, and it's easy to see how one thing leads to another. That's a tough place and any little chink in the armour is going to lead to escalating mistakes. So he's either going to hunt food with the bow and get the energy to make big changes - or not. Without a proper drying procedure, then the mould which will finish his chances will continue to spread. I've seen first hand what happens to feet when subjected to damp mouldy socks and it goes downhill fast. If I were him I'd be boiling socks in seawater and then drying and smoking them well - but it's probably too late.
I'm totally puzzled by Sam and his traps. You'd need a lot of mice to last, and each trap gets one so you'd sure have to have a long trap-line! I'd say that I'm looking at someone who is focusing on something which he can make work short-term for morale rather than on a long term plan. I'd be making snares from fishing line for squirrels, and off with the slingshot and bow looking for porcupine - and I'm surprised he's not.
I think that these two have done great, but I'm concerned about an accident if they are distracted by other issues - and they clearly are.

On the coast while salmon and trout are plentiful at certain times - like just before those guys were dropped off - once the runs are over, they are over. You can still find spawned out salmon in creeks well into winter, hanging on in back eddies, but other than that it's bullheads close to shore, and cod in deeper water. The bullheads do grow to some large sizes, though. Any idea that the water will remain placid is really optimistic, so I'm still wondering how long that canoe will be useful. The bigger issue is that the water is extremely cold so getting temped out to seek food in windy conditions could have nasty consequences. Just as likely is that the water is too rough for too long, and there's no way of reaching the net.

I'm impressed with the four who have made it this far! This is a show about what happens when you are stranded in a single place. In a survival situation, they clearly have the skills to walk out.

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Nice post Jimbo...

Nobody seems to really spend some time to build a decent shelter... Like a type of shelter in which you can have a campfire. If they want to last longer I suppose they will need to try to get a bit more comfortable...

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I think the producers expected them all to last a lot longer hence the $500,000 pay off. And why they are asking for military types to apply in the next episode. Because they think they will outlast most.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE