All tied up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I have been looking for a knot with these charecteristics:
• Easy to untie
• Can slide when deliberatly loosend
• Doesn't slide when weight is on it or after weight has been on it, only when the knot is "Deliberatly loosened"
I havent a clue if this type of knot exsists but it would be extremely handy if it does.

Anyone know of a knot to match these specs?

Thanks, emdiesse

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
The Tautline Hitch and Midshipman's Hitch have these characteristics but I'm not sure how much weight you would want them to withstand. The Tautline Hitch is used in the way you describe for guylines. Also have a look at the Adjustable Grip Hitch.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Emdiesse, the one i use is the Evenk knot, it slips easily and one tug sees it come undone. I use it for a ridge line for my tarp set up,but i suppose it depends what you want to use it for. Ray has a picture of it in his book Bushcraft. hope this might be of some help.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
stuart f said:
Hi Emdiesse, the one i use is the Evenk knot, it slips easily and one tug sees it come undone. I use it for a ridge line for my tarp set up,but i suppose it depends what you want to use it for. Ray has a picture of it in his book Bushcraft. hope this might be of some help.

I was going to use it with a hammock, because it seems nice to be able to have a knot that can be easily adjusted to make the hammock more taut.

Thanks for the replies, i'll check them out

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
There are a few knots suggested on www.Imrisk.com for hammock use but not with all the characteristics that you mention. Perhaps you could use a rope with two loops in it to hang your hammock, and use a karabiner on one end of the hammock itself - one loop for loose daytime use and the other for tight nightime sleeping.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
@ Stuart F: I havent got rays book, but when i see it I will have a look
@ Ogri the trog: I'll check out the link. I have thought about this but I wiould still like to know a know like this.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Every knot i follow seems to turn into a slip knot type knot.
The bit leading on from the standing end (the bit joined to the hammock) is always straight and the knot wraps around it allowing it to slip.

Why is this or are all the knots mentioned above meant to do that?

Thanks

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
From what I understand, you want a knot like the midshipman hitch as suggested by Falcon, but with the ability to secure it enough to take your weight, which I doubt it will. That's a statement about the knot, not your weight. This knot is often used for guylines as it's got just the properties you describe - easily adjusted and secured. I suppose it would be possible to increase the number of turns in the knot in an effort to create more friction (which is how the knot works) - you'd have to experiment.

From what I recall, RM used the Evenk knot to secure one end of a tarp so it just slips tight to the anchor; the tension in the tarp is put on at the other end with a tarp taught hitch or lorryman's hitch.

You could try something like this. If you browse down to capacious' post he suggests knots for making your own.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Are you using a ridgeline? I have found the easiest way to keep the basha taut is to use a prussik knot, really easy to tie and use seems to fit all the characteristics you are after.
It is used at either end of the ridge holding the tarp to the ridgeline, and can be slid along to tension everything, then it locks when you let go.
If you are having problems tying on to the trees, try the small ratchet straps that are sold at most DIY places,they fasten around the trees and can be used to tighten your hammock too!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
How about the Mooring Hitch? I reckon it's about perfect - it's slipped so it unties with a single tug, can be slid, can be locked in place (by "capsizing" the knot), should take plenty of weight... The only drawback is that it's rather difficult to "un-capsize" to loosen and adjust - but it's so quick and easy to tie that you can just re-tie it instead.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I'd second the adjustable grip hitch - except I'd add that it can be tied with the working end passed through the final stage as a loop instead of the end - that way a tug on the working end frees the loop and releases the knot.

As to strength - I've tied this knot in rope round a branch and hung off it without the knot sliding, and its what I use on almost all the parts of my hammock and tarp setup.

Its also tieable with one hand (with a little practice!)

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Hi,
from your criteria you could use a prussic not or a blakes hitch, both easy to tie and untie (even after loading) and slide to desired length and lock up under load
Hope this helps?!!

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
I have experimented with adjustable hitches, and 14 falls and an extremely sore a*se later, I came to the conclusion that there is not an adjustable hitch with the strength to hold up a persons body weight for any length of time, and with the ,movement that occurs during sleep.

If you examine the knots/hitches used to tie up hammocks, you'll notice that the tension is applied perpendicular to the line that the pull is being exerted on. (If you put your forearm in front of you parallel to the floor, and push against it upwards with the cup of your hand, that is how the knot works for the hammock).

This means that the tension is applied AGAINST the line of the rope. In an adjustable hitch, the tension is applied ALONG the rope, but, through the tie of the knot, it is placed at an angle to the rope. This is why it is adjustable. When you adjust the knot, you are simply putting the pull directly in line with the rope around which it is tied, allowing you to move the knot up (or down) the rope.

All this means that the knot has a tension limit before it will slip, unlike the fixed knots that have only the breaking strain if the rope to restrict them. Basically, when you put too much tension on the knot, it changes the angle sufficiently for the knot to move up or down the rope around which it is tied, resulting in a bruised backside/pride.

I hope all that makes sense (I'm not sure if even I understand it :p )

Jake.

Feb 25, 2006
Portsmouth
Emdiesse said:
I was going to use it with a hammock, because it seems nice to be able to have a knot that can be easily adjusted to make the hammock more taut.

Thanks for the replies, i'll check them out

Check out the Ray Mears eco sleep system hints and tips. It doesn't quite fit your brief; it's two knots rather than the one you requested, and it's not a sliding knot; but it works and once you've used your hammock a bit you'll get to know how tie it at the right tension first time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE