air rifles; .177 or .22?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
The HW80 was notorious for it's ability to go over/made to go over the limit.

Didn't the 35 have a barrel latch to open? Dainty wee rifle as I recall.
Well... I'm not sure about the dainty bit, I'm 6'3 and a bit and it's a good size for me, so unless you're the reincarnation of Giant Haystacks...

Barrel latch / lock looks like this:
2010-03-1023-02-19952.jpg

Cheers,

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
That's the one Adze.

I always thought the 35 was a skinny thing compared to my 80, I must be mixing it up with my Milbro G80 or another rifle.

I stand corrected. :)

Liam

There was an HW35 E (Export), I never owned one, but IIRC it had a larger power output, as the German laws did not allow 12ftlbs. It had a longer barrel than the standard one
It was designed for the UK market and Eastern Europe where the power levels were higher, don't take that as fact, but I THINK I am correct.

The 35 was famous for having a droopy barrel, and being bloody heavy. Some had some lovely walnut stocks though.
Back then I was shooting Feinwerkbau Sports 127, and still have the rifle to this day, much lighter, and a lovely rifle to own, but hard to work on.
I would still buy one if one became available.

The new FWB stuff is vile in comparison.

Last edited:

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Cheers Poddle,

Droopy barrel now that rings a bell, I'd forgotten about that.

FWB a pedigree of a stable that lot, sad to hear about the new ones.

On a tangent, never mind the .177/.22 comparisons.

Does any one know if bell target shooting is still alive and kicking in the Midlands pubs? I last saw that in either Brierley Hill, Halesowen or Stourbridge in the 80's IIRC.

Or has health and safety stopped all that now?

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Fair enough - compared with the HW80 it's fairly dainty. It's more short than skinny though - the bulk of the gun seems to be taken up with barrel length - the more so with the HW35E which was a long barrel variant with a walnut stock instead of beech, unless that's the other way around, IIRC.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Thanks lads.

Poddle, please tell me on that video it's a cigar case inside the trigger guard. :D

It looks awfy like a stainless d**do, his Mrs won't be happy if it gets scratched or dinked.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
The 35 was famous for having a droopy barrel, and being bloody heavy. Some had some lovely walnut stocks though.
Back then I was shooting Feinwerkbau Sports 127, and still have the rifle to this day, much lighter, and a lovely rifle to own, but hard to work on.
I would still buy one if one became available.

Ah HA! That might explain the HW dislike then... huge rivalry between HW shooters and FWB sport shooters back in the day. Again IIRC, the 'droopy' barrel was a failing in some of the early 35's shims - very easy and cheap fix yet most decided to upgrade to either the FWB or a 77 or 80. Personally I couldn't afford any of them at the time... a secondhand BSA Airsporter and a selection of what were probably discarded fairground guns were more my 'fayre' at the time (pardon the 'pun').

Compared with the FWB sport yes it's heavy... personally, these days, I find that makes it more stable to shoot, the more so with a scope fitted and the open sights removed - having that whacking great cowl stuck out at the end of 2 feet odd of barrel didn't do much for stability.

At the end of the day a superb rifle, particularly for it's date. One of the pair I own was my Grandad's gun... it's got the darkest stock I've ever seen on a '35 and a deep shine on the stock behind the trigger from decades of shooting and handling - stuff you just can't buy I suppose.

I'm sad to hear about the modern FWB stuff - I used to borrow a FWB target rifle in my teens - way out of my league pricewise at the time - never has so much paper been perforated since :D

I am not a critic of HW stuff, I just never owned it, I was winning major tournaments with the FWB back then so had no reason to swap rifles, although always fancied a Venom HW77.Probably the best springer ever made, just did not like the loading system, and I saw some VERY nasty accidents before the Anti Bear Trap was introduced.

They brought in the ABT and then you could not de-cock the rifle.Then they had that silly catch on the end of the under lever, That made a terrible click when cocking the rifle, awful if you were hunting.

But prior to that the under lever was held in place by a ball bearing and a tiny spring, and it used to pop out all the time when being carried

The build quality of HW stuff has always been superb, and I would own one tomorrow, but the above reasons are why I never bought one, that and the fact that I had a FWB sport.

I did however recommend HW to others, just that it was not for me at that time, would like an 80 now though, but don't use air rifles too much now. I have everything up to .243 Centrefire

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I think I went over the top with a 25ft pound quotation although I know that standard ones in .22 would hit 18 ft llb's no problem,
I am sure that a little twiddling would produce a few more. As for the 80, well that is a hell cat that will sail over the limit with great ease. Totally awesome

Yes the 35 does have a barrel latch, there is also a HW 35E.

I know the theo Eliminator is capable of high power, but most springers cant get over the 20ft lb mark. Be too hard to cock. Not sure what the 80 is capable of though.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I am not a critic of HW stuff, I just never owned it, I was winning major tournaments with the FWB back then so had no reason to swap rifles, although always fancied a Venom HW77.Probably the best springer ever made, just did not like the loading system, and I saw some VERY nasty accidents before the Anti Bear Trap was introduced.

They brought in the ABT and then you could not de-cock the rifle.Then they had that silly catch on the end of the under lever, That made a terrible click when cocking the rifle, awful if you were hunting.

But prior to that the under lever was held in place by a ball bearing and a tiny spring, and it used to pop out all the time when being carried

The build quality of HW stuff has always been superb, and I would own one tomorrow, but the above reasons are why I never bought one, that and the fact that I had a FWB sport.

I did however recommend HW to others, just that it was not for me at that time, would like an 80 now though, but don't use air rifles too much now. I have everything up to .243 Centrefire

My mate has an FWB 127 sport, lovely rifle. I enjoy using the open sights on it.

I've had a break barrel close up on my thumb when loading, not something i want to happen again, i could see my knuckle bone through both sides of my thumb.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
They're definitely a heavy rifle - I've got two.

Ditto for that, I've got the HW8OK in .177.
I may be wrong but I feel that the weight gives me better stability, I've tried with lighter guns and it all feels a bit wavey if you know what I mean.

please can someone enlighten me on the pro's and con's and any other matters when considering which calibre, any thoughts would be much appreciated. :)

Hi jonnie i have had both calibres and prefer 177 as it has a lot more penitraction when hunting, they can be more fiddley when it is cold but they seem to fly better and seem to be a lot more deadly at the longer ranges. hope this helps. ziggy

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
It all comes down to the physical attributes of the user, a 5 year old would find a 35 impossible to use, if your 6ft and built like a the proverbial, then it might be ok.

certainly cuts down on bouncy recoil though. Hard work to carry all day though:eek:

I'm 6'1" and built like a weasel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE